Things That Annoy Me

(15 Posts)
MissMogwi Thu 07-Feb-13 13:25:22

People coming in ten minutes late to lectures, then faffing about with their bag, books etc while the silhouette of their giant head looms on the screen. Sit down ffs!

People texting in seminars. Tap, tap, tap...vibrate... Tap, tap, tap. Annoying, and makes me give my mum stare.

MissMogwi Thu 07-Feb-13 13:45:12

Oh and I have annoyed myself today by going into the seminar room, getting my stuff out and judging the youngsters as I'd never seen any of them before. Oh, just turned up half way through the unit have we, thinks me.

Then I realise I'm in the wrong sodding room. grin Much stuffing of books in bags and legging it.

wisemanscamel Fri 08-Feb-13 16:04:46

Brilliant! I have just spent the day in the 'silent' bit of the library with a guy who had to sniff or clear his throat every few seconds. He was there for just over an hour and I spent most of that time being silently angry instead of working.

littleducks Fri 08-Feb-13 18:56:24

Oh dear.

We have ceiling mounted projectors in all our Uni rooms, solves the silhouette issue.

It doesn't bother me if people text to be honest. I have started taking my laptop and typing which us probably the same amount of noise. Lots of the group have brought along tablets this year and take/annotate in these so there are distracting screens. I have got used to it pretty quickly.

There us one woman who irritates me like crazy in my course. She always has a question, I know they say there is no such thing as a stupid question but I think she can come up with exceptions to that. Then when we had a test she kept on writing after we were told to stop. Twice. But I smile and accept my irritations are just me being grumpy.

MissMogwi Fri 08-Feb-13 19:17:02

Oh I fully admit I'm a grumpy baggage.

Sniffy sniffersons give me the rage too, but then I feel mean as I suppose they can't help it. <generous>

The texting is on phones 'hidden' under the desk, very rude in my misery guts opinion. Although on Thursday, when I Was Annoyed, one girl just sat there blatantly doing it and looking amazed when asked a question. grin

littleducks Sat 09-Feb-13 20:43:20

Sounds like a smaller setting if you have desks. We have 150 people on our course so big lecture rooms for most things. I expect it is far more irritating in a smaller setting with more discussions/interactive learning- I think everyone zones out a bit in some lectures (whether its because they know it already or becausse it is far too hard!)

crazynanna Sat 09-Feb-13 20:46:57

There is one woman on one of my modules, and as night follows day, every lecture, she gets a call (with the loudest ringtone I have ever heard), duly gets up,and shouts on the top of her voice "sorry...it's an emergency"...and stomps out. Every bloody week. hmm

cheesesarnie Sat 09-Feb-13 20:50:39

i get really ratty when trying to work in the library. its so bloody loud!

cheesesarnie Sat 09-Feb-13 20:51:01

oh and the girl that thinks she knows it all. grr

stargazer1 Sat 09-Feb-13 21:23:33

Ha-ha, laughing at all of these! Yes to hunting out the (tiny) silent section of the library, irritating students with the stoooopidest questions and surgical attachment to mobile phones. Rage is not too strong a word I think.

germyrabbit Sat 09-Feb-13 21:24:46

i found a lovely quite section of the library to study in then found out it was the section muslims were using to pray in confused

redexpat Tue 12-Feb-13 14:43:26

YY to people coming in late and disturbing everybody else.

THe 19yr olds who never come on time despite the fact that they live in the same bloody town. There are others who commute for 2 hours to get there who are never late for an 815 class.

People who dont read the teaching plan and dont come with their laptops when it says quite clearly that you will need to bring them!

People who can't use the elctronic system we have because they 'cant work out how to use it'. Wel sit down and work it out. We'll be here for 3 and half years.

The fact that the library doesnt seem to be there for the student's benefit at all. No short loan books, no 7 day loan, no reference books that must stay in the library. At any one time there are 7 intakes (for my course alone), 2 classes in each intake, and only 4 copies of a set text!

People who dont turn up to groupwork.

I feel so much better now.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Tue 12-Feb-13 14:47:17

Lecturers who assume the reason I'm tired is because I've been out partying like the 19-yr-olds in my class, rather than up all night with DD. And I'm 30 and married, so stop looking at my 34-week bump and judging me like I'm a teenage accidental pregnancy!

Grrrr.

Oh people who come in late are irritating. I know that sometimes it can't be helped, but every week is pushing it some.

And people who haven't read the course 'programme' and look bewildered when the listed lecture starts.

And people who do nothing at all to participate in discussions.

And people who contribute nothing to group work.

And people who sit in a lecture, texting their friends or playing on facebook. Fine, you don't want to be here, then leave the room and do it.

And people who complain all the time....oh, hang on! blush

MissMogwi Tue 12-Feb-13 18:57:05

Yes, yes, my friends. Let out the rage. grin

I actually hate group work and thought I was lucky to have made it to third year without a group project. Many friends at Uni have been tearing their hair out at people not doing their bit, not coming in, generally being arseholes etc.

However I have one coming up, they must have had to squeeze it in for added stress before we finish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now