AHHH Semester 2 BRAIN FREEZE..clearly switched off too well for christmas!!

(7 Posts)
RoyMum Fri 18-Jan-13 13:01:10

Help!! I have 3 assignments and my FYP due in by beginning of April/May. I know that seems ages away but last semester I cracked on ahead and seemed to get stuck in really quite easy..I think! But this semester I have total brain freeze. I took 3 weeks off over christmas as I got all my stuff done and now my brain is like woolly clouds!! I cannot concentrate at all and am rather panicking!!!!

WantAnOrange Fri 18-Jan-13 13:20:25

Me too! I have an essay due in on wednesday (!) then a case study in 4 weeks time, a research project in March. Thats first semester, I havent even looked at next semesters work yet!

I have a 15 week old DD too, why did I think this was a good idea?

C'mon, you can do it!

I got really behind on both my assignments last semester - too much research and not enough written. I'm having sleep issues at the moment (nearly 2 year old DD has slept through only two nights in the last three months), and am finding concentration difficult.
I divided up my time into forty minute blocks and just went for it. Managed to complete both pieces in the nick of time.
I got them both back this week and surprisingly, got good marks for both, so obviously pressure works well for me.

At the moment I don't know what assignments are due in next semester as they've not yet been set, but I think I'll go for the 40 mins on/10 mins off approach again as that worked pretty well.

Orange have you actually started the essay? If so, at least you have something to build on. If not, get cracking! smile

WantAnOrange Fri 18-Jan-13 14:17:02

I have done 1397 words! I have just sat here for 45 mins and not written a single word. Crap.

RoyMum Fri 18-Jan-13 21:05:46

Thanks sad I sometimes don't know how we all do it!! To top it off my lecturers have been so unaccommodating over the fact I have a child who is only 15 months and right in the middle of trying to walk, talk and being a general pita!!
I'm feeling like why bother even attending their lectures when they don't help me out arghhhhhhhhhhh!
Good luck all with your work though...guess worst case it's extensions or up all nighters!? But I am so not a late into evening person!

Sounds like your lecturers are crap RoyMum - I'm fortunate that mine allowed me to take 6 months out when I had DD and resume studies a semester behind everyone else.

Want well done! How many more words do you need though? 1397 words sounds like most of an essay to me.

One tip (from my experience) is to bullet point everything that you want to include, put all the quotes and things you're using down too, then print it out, cut it up and rearrange it into a proper order.
I know it's a bit of a waste of paper, but I find it helps me to sort out things into order far more clearly than sitting at the PC cutting and pasting.

I am aiming to get my dissertation proposal done and handed in at the end of the next semester if I can. Although I'm studying P/t DD (2 tomorrow) takes up a lot of my 'spare' time and (if you're reading any of my other posts) is not sleeping well, so I'm on catch up about 90% of the time!

I would say avoid extensions unless they're really necessary as otherwise you just end up trying to finish off one lot of work whilst you're trying to start and keep on track with others. smile

WantAnOrange Mon 21-Jan-13 08:46:30

It's a 3500 word essay on "how early interactions affect self concept and self esteem". I'm about halfway through now.

RoyMum that's hard going. My DD is 16 weeks today and the college let me take any time off I need but dont put in extra help for me (fair enough, it was my choice). Do you have a friend who could take notes for you? I couldnt do this without the friends I've made on my course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now