Really messed up - essay due in less than 48hr and I havent even started

(10 Posts)
suzieiswaitingforsnow Wed 16-Jan-13 19:36:41

Hello - I have been lurking on here and smiling as I see I am not the only one who leaves work until last minute. I have now stopped smiling and started to panic. I had planned to spend today writing up my essay as tomorrow - then I could check it over tomorrow night and drive to Uni Friday morning and hand it in (due in at 2pm Friday).

The best laid plans and all that - my youngest started vomiting through the night and I have been at her beck and call all day - poor thing she does look awful - fortunately has stopped vomiting now but all she wants is cuddles. She is under the quillt on the armchair right now watching the David Attenborough prog we recorded last week. I will get her to bed soon but will prob have to read lots as she doesnt appear to be tired - she slept from 7am until 11am so no wonder - I spent that time washing laundry from last night and generally feeling sorry for myself hmm . I know - I know - I could have used that time to work on the essay.

She will be off school tomorrow but I have to go to work so my partner is going to work from home to look after her. I can't take the day off.

Can I realistically write a 4000 word essay in a few hours tonight and tomorrow night?? Please don't tell me to drink coffee and stay up because I can't do it - I need sleep - I can probably manage until midnight - but that will be about my limit.

I have made a start - about 500 words - so have actually got 3500 to do. Has anybody done this in such a short time. I do procrastinate - but this is late by my standards . HELP

Roseformeplease Wed 16-Jan-13 19:37:50

Yes, very do-able. Break it down into small, manageable chunks and you will do it.

Iwillorderthefood Wed 16-Jan-13 19:40:30

Make sure you have really planned the structure first, to ensure that you are filling in the pieces as you go, not ideal, but if needs must. Could you get an extension?

helpyourself Wed 16-Jan-13 19:40:51

You can do it. Either stay up late with coffee, one sleepless night won't kill you or write the essay plan tonight and 1000 words, then set your alarm for 5am and do an hour in the morning. Can you do some in your lunch hour or stay late at work tomorrow night and work there?

scurryfunge Wed 16-Jan-13 19:41:20

Yes, it's doable. I used to do my best essays under that sort of pressure ( providing you have already done the research and have the notes).

suzieiswaitingforsnow Thu 17-Jan-13 00:14:59

thanks for all encouragement. Got little one to sleep by 9 - I fell asleep too on her bed. Woke up 915 and made strong coffee and large slice of carrot cake to keep me going. I have now done over 1000 words (on top of the 500 or so I had already done) - so I feel much better. I am going to bed soon but will set alarm for 6 and try to do an hour before I have to go out. I won't get a lunch break as such as in meetings all morning in one town and then have to drive straight to another to get to a training session. Will do easy meal tomorrow night so I can just get head down and finish it - thanks for suggestions - I feel less overwhelmed now smile. will update tomorrow

SeamonkeyHasMyMoney Thu 17-Jan-13 00:27:36

Don't Panic. I think we all leave things to late...and get away with it until something like this happens!

Have a look at your university's procedures for extensions - you'll probably be able to find them on the online student portal (assuming you have 'Blackboard' or something similar as we do).

Send off an email now to the relevant person explaining your situation. Yes, you shouldn't have left it so late but these things happen and you may be able to do something about it.
IME, universities are more sympathetic to mature students who have a home and family to look after than the younger students who have no dependents or other responsibilites (like me!!).
They might not be able to do anything of course, but it's worth a shot. And even if they can't offer you an extension at least your tutors will be aware of the situation if it is reflected in your grade. Always worth keeping them in the loop smile

In the mean time, just get as much done as you reasonably can.

It will all work out.

helpyourself Thu 17-Jan-13 10:06:55

And get DH to fix supper!

suzieiswaitingforsnow Fri 18-Jan-13 09:44:11

finished - grin - very late last night. Taking it in to uni now - then I am off to play in the snow gringrin with daughter who is feeling much better now.

thanks for support and words of advice.

helpyourself Fri 18-Jan-13 16:02:30

Fantastic newsgrin
Enjoy your weekend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now