I'm really struggling with my personal statement

(9 Posts)

I'm applying for a School Direct place (the new GTP) and I'm trying to write my personal statement and I just can't get it right. I've put it off for about 3 weeks, but I need to get it done now.

I have two major problems that I can't think how to explain. One is that I was at medical school, but I left because I hated it. That was 3.5 years ago and I've since had 2 DCs. I have quite a lot of teaching and tutoring experience, so I'm sure this is what I want to do, I just don't know what to say to avoid looking like a quitter.

The other problem is that I'm applying to teach something I don't have a degree in. I'm bilingual and I have an A level and a professional diploma in my chosen subject. Most of my teaching experience though is in my degree subject, and I'm really struggling to explain why I want to swap to modern languages.

I asked DH and DM to read it and so far they've only given me negative feedback and now I'm on a real downer. You know the, "f* it, I'm just going to delete it all and not bother. I'm so shit" feeling.

I really want to do this, but I'm so worried I'll be rejected and then I don't think I'll have the confidence to try again.

I think I need a combination a sharp kick and a hand hold. I feel like rubbish now and I can't sleep I'm so anxious about it all.

MatureUniStudent Tue 18-Dec-12 10:59:18

My teenager told me when I had to write my first personal statement - to only only write positive things. Big yourself up. Turn a negative into a positive. So you were incredibly smart and got accepted into Medical school, (when few do) and once there, constantly felt that you wanted to teach. So being brave and determined, you left medical school to concentate on your dream and vocation in life.

Impress them that not only are you billingual (which is where you passion that you wish to pass on blah blah lies) that you also have a further string to your bow, a diploma in. Attach your excellent experience, to the area you want to work in and you will believe, what I am impressed with, that you have so much experience and are rounded and know precisely what you want to do.

Write what you fancy, then look at it again, as if you were the employer (don't be emotionally attached at this point) and use the impressive bits.

Remember - NOTHING NEGATIVE. You are wonderful and you are going to share just how impressive a person you are, with them.

If it dosent give too much away, you can post it here?

MatureUniStudent Tue 18-Dec-12 10:59:52

opps I meant where your passion lies - not tell them lies!

Thanks so much MatureUniStudent smile I have tried to put a positive spin on things. So far I haven't really mentioned medical school except to use it to demonstrate qualities.

I'll post it now, although I think it might out me to anyone who knows me.

I did grin at advice to lie to them!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sorry it's so long. School direct has a 900 word limit for statements.

MatureUniStudent Tue 18-Dec-12 19:12:29

Well - why your DM and DP were "humm" is beyond me. I'd employ you! What is a Catechist?

Thank you so much thanks

I've tweaked it a little bit more, but I'm going to submit it now smile There should be a nail-biting smiley.

A Catechist is basically a sunday school teacher for a Catholic church.

Thanks again, it's such a relief to hear something positive!

tubsmum Tue 15-Jan-13 20:38:57

Good luck.
I'm applying too. Someone offered to read mine and when they read it said how negative etc it was.
I just don't have a clue how to start it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now