So who is going to try to catch up/get ahead for next term over Christmas

(23 Posts)
mixedmamameansbusiness Thu 13-Dec-12 20:08:15

I have neglected my house and my dc so I am doing minimal work. I am planning however, planning to:-

- either start essay reading for one of two essays
- read at least the first weeks readings for both modules
Or
- reread and in some cases read for the first time two topics from this term for revision purposes otherwise I am unlikely to have anything from this term otherwise and have missed loads but at least one exam will require an answer from this term.

So, what would you do?
And, what do you plan to do over Christmas if anything?

MissMogwi Fri 14-Dec-12 06:19:32

I think I'd look at what you have coming up, be it essay or exam and work on that first. Then I'd do some reading in preparation for next term.

I have an essay due on 7th January and I need to finish the first chapter of my dissertation. Plus reading etc of course. I finish today and have a week until the girls finish so I plan to do as much as I can before the 21st.

I've been a bit of a snappy mare recently, due to workload/tired/sorting Christmas out, so I feel a bit guilty.

MissCellania Fri 14-Dec-12 06:40:16

I should probably start the 5000 word lit review that was due yesterday, that I have extended till new year, and also have a lab report, a presentation, and an experiment to plan.

mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 14-Dec-12 18:19:35

Blimey, I pretty much have nothing comparatively. My essays are due in March and exams are end of May so perhaps I should just focus on reading.

cafecito Sun 16-Dec-12 18:10:36

I'd do the essay reading if I were you and maybe start making notes so you can write them really quickly when the time comes.

I need to catch up on the past 2 months of medical school, I have been skiving a lot (haven;t been very well, have missed almost all my lectures) and am faced with exams in January that I have to ace (ideally in the top 7.5%). I currently know NOTHING. The volume is massive. I am sat here at my table intending to learn 4 weeks of anatomy before tomorrow morning. It's not happening I'm on mumsnet. It's just hard to know where to start

Artemis206 Tue 18-Dec-12 11:08:51

Yep, definitely. I have a tma due on 10th Jan and a baby due on 17th so really need to get ahead. I've also got a tma due 24th Feb and could do to finish that too before baby makes her appearance.

OU student doing TU100.

Vagaceratops Tue 18-Dec-12 16:57:13

Me!

I have a document analysis which is due in January 15th, which I have already done. I really want to focus on my next assignment which is due in on Feb 12th over the Christmas holidays

MrsHuxtable Tue 18-Dec-12 20:27:19

Me too!
OU, Psychology.
Doing one module atm and am 3 weeks ahead. However, I will be starting another module in February plus my ML will we over and I'll be back at work so ideally, come January, I want to be VERY ahead to give me some time to get ahead in the new module because I think I'll suffer some real shock once I go back to my evil work (hate it).

MrsHuxtable Tue 18-Dec-12 20:28:49

PLUS I plan to get pregnant again in the first half of 1213 and there's a big chance it'll be another HG pregnancy so if that happens I'll be screwed for the first 4 months at least.

theowlworrier Wed 19-Dec-12 20:50:03

I have an essay due in (with diagrams and pictures) on Jan 12th. Also need to catch up on the lectures I haven't watched yet... But, DH is on some night shifts which means once the baby goes to bed, I can study in peace and quiet!

MissMogwi Thu 20-Dec-12 22:26:47

Well I haven't done a thing this week. DD2 and I have incredibly sore throats, temperature and all that good stuff. I really didn't need this before xmas!

Having random panic about work load but what can you do. cries

MissMogwi Thu 20-Dec-12 22:27:23

My < > aren't working either.

mixedmamameansbusiness Sat 22-Dec-12 14:35:53

I have started reading a book that covers the first few weeks including essay. That is about as much as I have managed so far, but it is day one really isn't it.

Good luck to everyone with any sort of assignment/exam due in January. Oh and of course to those due with little ones and those ttc.

MrsHuxtable Thu 27-Dec-12 21:36:13

So? How is everyone getting on?

wisemanscamel Fri 28-Dec-12 13:58:08

Have done 1000wds today of 2500wd essay. This and 2000wd lit review (not started yet) due 7/1/13. So, have made a start but feels like a mountain to climb - plus I am topped up on lemsips as I feel lousy.

MissMogwi Sat 29-Dec-12 14:01:19

I'm just about to do some work on an essay due 8th Jan. If for no other reason than to stop me stuffing my face for a while.

Struggling to work with the DD's about but will have to crack on. Have my driving test coming up too. Arrgh.

MissMogwi Sun 30-Dec-12 10:58:42

Well, I did 1500 words yesterday. Had to put my earphones in and drown the girls out. Luckily they are big now and very good, (apart from the bickering angry) so they left me alone for a while.

Aiming to do another chunk today while they are out.

mixedmamameansbusiness Thu 03-Jan-13 13:30:03

Well done everyone.

I have read the required readings for my chosen essay and have been reading a book which covers much of the first few weeks of one of my modules, which frees up some time for my other weaker module.

MissMowgi - good luck with the test!! I dont even have a provisional.

Wiseman - I hope you are feeling better.

In spite of my reading I havent actually completed any reading for my classes next week, one because the topic for the week is pretty boring (2nd Reform Act anyone????) and the other because the reading list hasnt been distributed yet. Arrhhh!

MissMogwi Thu 03-Jan-13 22:51:44

Thanks, to use an old fashioned term, I'm bricking it. grin

Just having a mumsnet break before I do another hour on the essay.

Good luck to everyone with exams or other deadlines coming up.

This thread has guilted my into working blushgrin

MissMogwi Sat 05-Jan-13 10:18:40

Very nearly finished assignment one for Monday. Just the hateful footnotes and referencing to do.

Have also drawn up (procrastinating at its best!) a study plan for the new term. Let's see how long that lasts...

MissMogwi Sat 12-Jan-13 10:15:28

How has the first week back gone?

Many people on my course (including me) seem a bit stressed and wild eyed at the looming deadlines and the amount of work due in these final months of the degree.

{panics}

Itwillendinsmiles Sat 12-Jan-13 13:56:54

Same panic visible on my course!

We're not properly back until the 21st as we're 'only' sitting exams until the 18th.

I've bought my books for the semester two modules I've chosen and I'm quite looking forward to getting stuck into them after my last exam.

Really need to start thinking about job hunting too... (even greater panic!) graduate trainee schemes not really an option due to my age and background so there's not a lot of help to be gained from the uni careers advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now