any medical students out there?

(21 Posts)
splashymcsplash Sat 08-Dec-12 18:28:14

Just that really.. be great to hear from some other med student parents.

cafecito Sun 16-Dec-12 18:11:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cafecito Sun 16-Dec-12 18:14:40

splashymcsplash Fri 21-Dec-12 23:17:00

Hi cafecito smile

Sorry it took me so long to reply to you - I have been pretty busy with placement and my dd. I only got signed off today!

I can totally identify with everything you say. I am a single mum too. My dd is a bundle of energy, and I also can't revise with her around.

People think I'm nuts when they here about her.

How are you coping with the balancing act?

cafecito Sun 23-Dec-12 03:03:05

splashymcsplash Thu 27-Dec-12 15:52:46

Are you second year? I'm in final year an absolutely bricking it about finals.

I know how difficult it is balancing things, it really worried me, but people have always been very understanding about my.lateness due to childcare. You realise that what you miss out on usually isn't very important anyway.

Are you a grad entry? If so that must be tough. Any support from.ex?

Hope you are having a great Xmas.

Also I think you told me in a pm where you are. It's not too far from.me smile

splashymcsplash Thu 27-Dec-12 15:54:57

Just checked my pms and no you didn't, I'm just imagining it!

cafecito Fri 28-Dec-12 03:10:11

splashymcsplash Fri 28-Dec-12 10:59:09

Oh that is really rubbish. Just ignore it! The way I see it, being a med student is like a job, and if you weren't studying nobody would be saying you were selfish for working (or at least they would be mad to!). Maybe best to cut your losses and stop contact with his family?

I had my dd during my course, so didn't do it all with her, but getting back into the studying business after having her posed its own challenges. Would you be able to move nearer uni? Travelling like that sounds really difficult.

The sjt was rather meh, but it doesn't matter so much for me as I get pre allocated due to having a baby. Not sure if you have heard about it but it is aA real advantage! Don't hear anything for ages still, everyone gets allocated a deanery in February then it is time to apply for jobs.

I've been busyish revising (except for a short break). How was your Christmas?

splashymcsplash Fri 28-Dec-12 11:04:19

For some reason I cant reply to pms on my phone but yes I am near to you (I had thought that's where you were for some reason)

DrRanj Fri 28-Dec-12 11:07:44

Me! grin In 4th year now with 2yo dd.grin

splashymcsplash Fri 28-Dec-12 11:52:12

Hi drranj! How are you doing?

cafecito Sat 29-Dec-12 20:07:53

splashymcsplash Sun 30-Dec-12 09:12:17

Wow, that's really a lot on your plate! How do you manage? Really wow. All I do is my course and dd and I feel like that is ample.

I'm not sure f you are preclinical atm because you talk about placements and I'm.not sure if you a grad. Pre clinical I really have no idea about resources as o didn't really do much work back then blush For clinical years I used the pastest books which are pretty good and we had lots of great questions on our intranet. Heard that online pastest is quite good but I never used it.

His parents really sound toxic. Sounds like you should cut your losses. Mine are pretty bad too, their idea of being grandparents is ignoring her, refusing to help on emergencies, then wanting to seeher briefly just to put lots of photos onfb. They refused to help even when I was sick with flu and physically unable to go out and I had no food for dd. It's sad because I think dd deserves better ie grandparents who care about her (though mine are great).

My dd does go to nursery, its cost a fortune though and the grant is really mean (though you prob get a better one not being an NHS student yet?). How are you coping with costs at yours?

cafecito Fri 04-Jan-13 00:17:19

cafecito Fri 04-Jan-13 00:19:48

Campuslady Wed 09-Jan-13 22:06:00

Hi there, may I join? Sorry a bit late to the chat. I've only found this thread when procrastinating myself out of some prep for a surgery session tomorrow....I'm a final year medical student with a DD who is 20 months. I'm also on my second career, also was a lawyer before too smile

It's great to hear that there are a few of us out there , just about surviving this. In fact, I'm in awe at what the rest of you do on top of the course...I can identify pretty strongly with most of what has been said already. I'm also on a course pretty much populated by school leavers - bless them, most are lovely but clearly the thought of having a child/ being pregnant makes them confused. And some of the docs on clinical placement seem to think I'm insane, both for changing careers and doing it with DD. Mostly that toughens my resolve but it can get to you when you are feeling a bit behind with studying etc.

Anyway, good luck to all of you for new year placements and exams if any smile

splashymcsplash Fri 11-Jan-13 00:31:02

Welcome campus lady. Where are you studying if don't mind me asking (pm me if you don't want to make it public)? The stuff you say sounds pretty familiar, everyone also thinks I'm nuts and too young to have a child. I'm also final year so know what you are going through!

Cafe sorry as well for not replying for so long. I have been stupidly busy, feeling like I know nothing for finals. Don't mean to scare you about NHS bursaries, it probably works out better overall when you consider they pay fees but their childcare grant is truly abysmal. Mine is also very pricey, but a fabulous nursery. How have you been lately?

splashymcsplash Sun 13-Jan-13 19:59:14

Campus I saw the beginning of your pm but accidentally deleted it before opening it. I find mn doesn't work too on my phone. I saw where you are though! Did I miss anything else?

cafecito Tue 15-Jan-13 23:02:56

ChunkysMum Sat 02-Mar-13 21:42:36

Hello,

I'm also a final year. Our finals results come out next Friday [terrified emoticon].

I am an undergrad straight from sixth form. Medical reasons led to my DH and I deciding to start a family before the end of my course. I had DD between 4th and final year. DD is now 15months.

I find it really difficult. I feel guilty being away from DD so much. Next year I hope to work less than full-time for F1.

Luckily we have a great child minder who picks DD up at 7.15am. Have you looked into childminders cafecito? Our childminder works out £200 cheaper a month than our nursery used to, is more flexible, has less children at one time and takes DD out to do more stuff like swimming etc.

I've found illness the most difficult thing to deal with. Both mine and DDs. When DD's too ill to go to childcare it's really difficult as I can't miss placement and my family is 2 hours away.

It shouldn't, but it does grate on me a little when people have been out all night or up late and complain about being tired on placement, when I've been up all night with a teething DD, but I probably thought I was tired before I had her. Little did I know that you don't really know tiredness until you've had a baby.

Some of you do seem to be piling a bit much on your plates. I think med school and a child is enough for anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now