has anyone done a psychology degree with the ou

(7 Posts)
Tooodlepip Sat 08-Dec-12 10:43:55

Hello,

I am contemplating the ou psychology degree, and I was wondering if anyone here had done it or was working through it. My main questions are regarding the level 2 compulsory course the child psychology, how much study is involved in the course I know its not possible to give me an accurate estimate. For example I have 3 children one being 13 weeks old, is it possible to manage it under these circumstances has anyone done it before??

sorry for so many questions but I don't know whether to start in feb with the child psychology which will mean studying with a 4-5 month old baby or wait until oct and start which will mean an older baby but the possibility of two 60 credit courses at the same time which I want to avoid??

any advice appreciated

We3bunniesOfOrientAre Sun 09-Dec-12 10:23:33

Have you done any of the level 1 courses? Might be worth doing DSE141 and see how it goes. People do take these courses, but in my experience as a tutor, they do find it very hard work with a small baby, and are one of the group of students who often drop out/need extensions etc. Also you need to consider whether although you might get through it starting in feb, will you get the best marks that way? I would say DSE141 then DSE212; Then the residential school or on line project, then the child development would maximise your marks. If you want to be able to use the degree as a psychologist you need to aim for a 1st or 2.1 (pass 1 or 2).

I would say that the time guidelines are fairly realistic, why don't you look at the number of hours of required studying and see whether you can actually achieve it - maybe get some books from the library and see whether you have time in the week to read, understand and take notes on them, time how long you are spending reading them and see how much you manage to actually get done.

Chan1811 Sun 09-Dec-12 14:04:13

Hi,

I don't want to hijack this post but We3bunniesofOrientare, as a tutor can you please provide me with some info about how the materials and assessments are structured. For example if there are 3 tmas, do we get all the questions at the start of the course?

I am registered to do DSE141 and SDK125 in Feb.

Thanks.

gingergran Mon 10-Dec-12 09:10:16

Toodlepip, if by the child psychology course you mean ED209 it is very time consuming, especially in the weeks with assignments which are once a month. The two reports take at least twice the estimated time allowed by the OU.

Personally, I would not recommend doing it alongside any other courses unless you don't have many other responsibilities but I know that other people have done, particularly SD226 which is a 30 pointer.

I would recommend doing DSE141 first, which at level 1 does not count towards your overall degree classification and then either DSE 212 or its replacement (depends when you would be able to take it) before you do ED209 - the people who did this had a major advantage over those of us who did not.

gingergran Mon 10-Dec-12 09:12:11

Chan1811, you do get all the questions at the beginning of the course and because these are level one courses you are given a great deal of support from the tutors.

You should get all the materials for both courses in January well before the official start date so can get a head start if you have the time or inclination!

Chan1811 Mon 10-Dec-12 09:28:18

Thanks GingerGran, that's what I was trying to gauge, as all mums know things always pop up with kids, like getting ill so I might have a week out of study so I want to get as much of a head start as I can.

happychappy Thu 21-Feb-13 19:09:12

Ive done Ed209, it's hard work but really interesting. Currently I am doing DSE141, DSE212, Sk124 and DXR222. Next Feb Ill do my level 3's. The Erika Cox study aid many people have said are very useful. Agree with other DSE141 is a good place to start or even one of the optional short courses like SK124

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now