Do I really need to get GCSE Maths??

(8 Posts)
Harperseventy Tue 20-Nov-12 21:34:26

I'm in my 2nd year of business degree, planning on doing pgce secondary business. Looking at courses they all want GCSE maths at c grade. I have a d grade. Anybody have any similar experience/thoughts? Also any pgce advice/thoughts :-)

Themumsnot Wed 21-Nov-12 13:44:30

Yes, I'm afraid so. You can't do a PGCE without it. There's no way round it I'm afraid, so the sooner you get it over with the better.

NatashaBee Wed 21-Nov-12 13:51:24

If you've made it to the 2nd year of a degree, then you shouldn't hve any problems passing it - can you try a couple of test papers and see if you can enter for the exam anywhere without having to sit through the whole course?

Harperseventy Wed 21-Nov-12 19:02:22

I've sorted it today. I'm going to self study and sit exams at the local school. I did speak to those online course providers, but looked at reviews and they sound overpriced and rubbish! AQA were very helpful and I've looked at the papers and should be fine. Watch this space grin

Themumsnot Wed 21-Nov-12 19:06:02

Good luck! Probs a good revision guide from Amazon Marketplace will cost you pennies and teach you as much as one of those overpriced courses anyway!

insancerre Sat 24-Nov-12 12:04:30

I second the idea of a revision guide.
I recently (this summer) sat an equilavancy test for my EYPS course. I got a cse grade 2 at school which is the same as your d
I passed my equilavancy test with 89% but it is only worth a c grade as i sat the foundation test not the higher
so you should be ok with a revision guide and some self study instead of paying through the nose for the online courses

justhayley Sun 03-Mar-13 10:31:13

Theres another way, there's a module called discovering Maths (MU123) at the open University apparently PGCE courses accept this of you don't have GCSE grade C or above maths. grin I'd check with the uni you plan to study the PGCE first, but I was told this by the University of Hertfordshire as I'm in the same situation.
Good Luck x

MatureUniStudent Sun 10-Mar-13 19:52:26

I can't find my certificate. They managed to find my old certificates bit my maths is elusive. So I am doing a Level 2 City and Guilds which I was told by the college would suffice for the PGCE. I hope they are correct??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now