Thinking of applying for Dentistry

(9 Posts)
rumtumtugger Wed 24-Oct-12 13:33:07

I'm thinking of career changing into dentistry - I have good maths/science A levels and a 2:1 degree in Biology from a Russell Gp uni. I'm 33...is this too late?

I've seen lots of mums talk about the workload of a medical degree and medical training but none on dentistry. Is it compatible with a family life?
TIA.

AlexanderS Mon 05-Nov-12 13:50:34

Bump! Maybe post in Chat or one of the busier forums too.

blockednose Mon 17-Dec-12 11:12:11

Hi,

I am applying to Dentistry for 2013 entry as well, but as an Undergrad. Am 27, have DD almost 3 and am at college full time studying a-levels at the moment. Also scouring the boards looking for ppl who have/are doing Dentistry!!

cafecito Fri 18-Jan-13 04:20:41

I'm guessing it would be rather similar to medicine in terms of workload to start off with at least - you'd likely get more choice once you qualify which may make it more family friendly. I say go for it- of course you are not too old!! So you'll become a dentist in your thirties, at, what, I don't know- 37, 38? Let's say by 40 you are fully established in whatever you want to be in. Now, one day- you will be 40. You will be 40 no matter what you do with the years in between - no matter what- so why not be 40 and a dentist? don't let age stop you from pursuing anything, or you will have to face regret years down the line. Besides that, you're really young!

cafecito Fri 18-Jan-13 04:22:57

OP, I'm sure you'd be eligible for a fast track place on a 4 year course. that time flies by, honestly.

cafecito Fri 18-Jan-13 04:23:49

(just realised this is quite an old thread... but it is 4.30am, maybe I should get some sleep grin) good luck dentists out there!

MrsMorton Fri 18-Jan-13 12:09:11

Four year courses have been banned by the EU apparently.

cafecito Mon 21-Jan-13 23:32:34

really? just for dentistry? thanks for the heads up mrsmorton (but how very strange!)

blockednose Fri 01-Feb-13 08:56:33

I've heard talk of 4 year postgrad courses for Dentistry being banned soon by the EU, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm in college with plenty of postgrad students who have applied for the four year course. It's very competitive, but you are better placed with your science a levels and degree. Apply now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now