Human Resource management - dissertation topic help!

(8 Posts)
granarybeck Sun 21-Oct-12 18:18:42

Hi

I am in the last year of doing my MSc in Human Resource Management and need to choose my dissertation topic. I am completely stumped as to what to choose.

I wondered if there were any HR people around here who had any ideas or could tell me what topic they did for their CIPD course.

I work as a generalist HR Advisor so cover pretty much all areas of HR. I would be so grateful for any ideas.

Thanks

EverybodyLovesWine Fri 26-Oct-12 11:56:31

Hi

What about something around shared services/outsourcing type stuff that is happening at the moment?

I did mine around recruitment and reward of seasonal workers which was interesting.

Good luck with it all!

granarybeck Sun 28-Oct-12 19:16:46

Hi Everybodyloveswine

Thanks for your post. I think shared services might be a bit of a sensitive one at the moment as it could be what happens to my team so might be too much of a hot potato!

Yours sounds a really good focused topic. Currently googling lots! Think I'm panicking as I don't know what to do and so can't see the wood for the trees. I've asked my managers but they haven't come up with anything just encouraged me to look at something I am interested in.

EverybodyLovesWine Mon 29-Oct-12 19:56:37

It is hard. What sort of industry do you work in? Is there anything that could relate to that?

Another interesting thing could be around sickness absence/disability management issues. Is that a problem in your organisation?

granarybeck Mon 12-Nov-12 18:33:55

Hi EverybodyLoveswine, I work for a charitable trust - so voluntary sector but ex local authority. I did think about sickness/disability as my background is in disability but it is not too big an issue in my organisation.

The main issue is org change/restructuring so I am thinking of looking at promoting/maintaining either employee engagement or trust/commitment during change. I've only got to submit mu draft proposal so I've got time to change my mind yet!

nickylisa Thu 20-Dec-12 09:09:03

Hi granerybeck, did you choose a topic? I am in exactly the same predicament, I am really struggling to choose a topic and have passed the deadline already for submitting a proposal. I have an extension due to my Dad passing away on the 23rd October but if I do not submit before Christmas I will not be able to complete this year and have to pay my Uni fees again.

Only thing I am think about is engagement during maternity leave and how or what effects women being motivated to climb the career ladder?? I am not sure if that is enough to do a MsC dissertation, unfortunately I have not had alot of support from the lecturers and have missed lots of lessons so really feel stressed about it all :-(

If anyone can help I would be so grateful.

Thank you Lisa xx

singaporeswing Thu 20-Dec-12 09:36:08

I did a dissertation on the gender pay gap and found it so fascinating. I almost had too much information and had to narrow it down.

nickylisa Fri 21-Dec-12 07:49:01

Thanks Singaporeswing, how did you narrow it down? Did you focus particularly on your organisation?

I feel so stressed about it I think once I have a working title I will be ok but don't know where to start with researching what is a good topic as I have been warned it is difficult if too big or too narrow a subject..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now