Anyone not with the OU?

(16 Posts)
theowlworrier Tue 16-Oct-12 18:00:14

I know most of you here are studying with the OU- anyone not? Just curious about who you are studying with? I am doing a distance learning degree with Birkbeck. smile

Benaberry Tue 16-Oct-12 21:58:59

I'm doing a work-sponsored part-time/distance learning MBA with Northampton uni

At least, I've done the first year, need to get off my arse and do some reading for the essay due in in a couple of weeks, otherwise I won't get very far with my second year!

geologygirl Tue 16-Oct-12 23:41:35

Im doing mine at Birkbeck by distance learning....3 guesses which subject! ha!

theowlworrier Wed 17-Oct-12 00:34:31

Oh, cool Beanberry- I always thought an MBA would be cool!

And geologygirl- what year? I am doing the same course!! Well, actually I am doing Earth Sciences as I can't make the fieldwork- too far!

Benaberry Wed 17-Oct-12 11:47:06

Geology/Earth Sciences sound really interesting - what year are you in? Birkbeck are highly regarded for part-time/distance aren't they?

I'm thoroughly enjoying the MBA, it's something I never thought I'd be able to do as I never completed my undergrad degree for personal reasons. But luckily my company are really big on training and development, and so because of their sponsorship, the lack of a first degree isn't an issue - out of the 20 of us in my cohort, less than half went to uni. It's really interesting learning and applying the academic theories to real life at work

theowlworrier Wed 17-Oct-12 17:56:45

I'm resitting my second year- I couldn't finish/ do the exams last year as DD arrived early and spent a while in NICU (she's fine now!). It's really fascinating and a totally different experience doing a subject I really find fascinating, vs a subject I'm just doing cos I can't think of what else to do (my experience of uni when I left school- unsurprisingly I dropped out of that course...!)

I think it's great that work are sponsoring you. I think more places should invest in continuing development. I'm hoping to go for a career change once I finish mine (2015 here I come!!). Nice too that you have a work environment you can apply the stuff you learn to!

Benaberry Thu 18-Oct-12 13:52:44

I know what you mean about doing something you enjoy. Although I'd chosen my undergrad subject thinking I'd love it (ancient history), for some reason it just never felt right, possibly because I knew in my heart of hearts it had minimal practical use! The 18 months I spent at uni are helping now though, as at least I know more or less how to write academically, which is something some of my colleagues do find difficult - by contrast, I often struggle with finding the practical application of the theory so I can write about it, and need to be poked in the right direction!

It's so hard studying with small ones isn't it? I signed up for this last year, anticipating a relatively quiet time coming up at work, eldest had started school, and it seemed like a good idea.

A couple of weeks before I handed in my first assignment I found out I was pregnant with ds2, which was a complete shock, plus two major projects landed at the same time.

Ds2 arrived 3 weeks after I handed in my final first year assignment (had been very firmly crossing legs!) and I'm now embarking on 2nd year whilst on maternity leave so I can stay with the same cohort.

Starting to think I'm completely bonkers...

Vagaceratops Sat 20-Oct-12 10:20:14

I am not doing Distance Learning, but I am studying part-time with the University of Leicester.

EricNorthmansFangBanger Wed 31-Oct-12 13:49:01

I'm at the University of Huddersfield full-time, studying Advertising and Mar Comms.

Sir Patrick Stewart best be standing there with my degree in his hand come July grin

signet Mon 05-Nov-12 18:31:33

I'm studying history full time at a London Uni. Loving it!

notnagging Fri 16-Nov-12 19:41:20

On line masters with edge hill.

mixedmamameansbusiness Sat 17-Nov-12 10:12:55

I am studying at Birkbeck, not distance. History and think I might stay forever, I love it.

geologygirl Fri 23-Nov-12 01:30:25

hi all - sorry for not replying for so darn long! Havent been on here for a while.

But yes, Im in the 1st year of Earth Sciences as well actually! I cant commit to the fieldwork as I have a 21mth old and am a single mum, so went with that option. Hopefully I can do some fieldwork when my little boy is a bit older...

How are you finding it owl?

Its pretty full on but I truly LOVE it so far! Wish I had done it sooner...just finding the content really interesting. Geochem module is a real challenge though!!

Birkbeck is brilliant and the distance learning thing really works. The lectures are there for you to watch at your leisure and they really do include you in everything. I feel a bit sad to miss the fieldwork next April, but Im going to get myself to the coast and try and find some specimens of my own! ha!

I just think its great that we have the chance now to do something we love.

cafecito Thu 06-Dec-12 03:27:31

I'm at a London uni medical school + doing distance/weekend masters (research) + have a toddler + single parent. eeeeeeeeeugh! wondering why I left my job for this right now

Tistheseasontobedramatic Tue 18-Dec-12 22:23:37

I'm PT at UWL studying French patisserie and chocolate.

theowlworrier Fri 28-Dec-12 16:08:28

French patisserie and chocolate??? Now that sounds like a course I would enjoy grin
Love that so many people are doing so many wonderful and different courses. I am currently staring at my textbook hoping an essay will write itself. Hasn't happened yet, but you never know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now