Single parent starting course but ds will turn 5 before I finish

(5 Posts)
2isamagicnumber Thu 11-Oct-12 09:15:15

Hi wonder if anyone has any advice. I'm looking to do a pgce. It's a full time course for one year. I'm a lone parent so I understand that you still get financial help or benefits.

However my son will turn 5 in may and the course doesn't end until June/ July. What would happen financially? Do you have to swap on to jobseekers?

Has anyone been in this situation?

I am a single parent doing a PGCE.

My DCs were all over 5 when I started, so I am not sure what you get that is 'special' to him being under 5.

I ge (student finance england)t:
Special support grant
Dependants allowance
Childcare grant

I also get training bursary from TDA.
I also get full clchild tax credits and obviously child.benefit.

I.don't get income support because I am not elligible but think that is a possibility.

2isamagicnumber Thu 11-Oct-12 16:21:59

Thanks for the reply. I've got confused I was thinking about studying part time initially which I think meant you could still get income support. But only if you child was under 5. I haven't applied yet I'll be looking to start 2014 to give myself time to get plenty of classroom experience.

Can I ask if financially your finding it ok? I know the pgce is hard work so don't want to be stressing about money on top of that!

I think you can get income support as a single parent student irrespective of age. I don't qualify for IS because of other circumstances.

I'm finding it ok. I will actually be worse off when I get a job - but that is in part.because I am doing a shortage subject and get 9k bursary.

The workload is sheer hell tho.

2isamagicnumber Thu 11-Oct-12 18:49:17

Definitely need to look in to the finance side of things a bit more. I want to do primary so definitely no shortage of applicants!

I know a few people who have done pgce courses so I know it's full on.

Good luck I'm sure it will be all worth it in the end

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now