OU degree at 44

(9 Posts)
happychappy Sat 22-Sep-12 18:58:07

I've been doing mine for about a year and I've loved it. i'm 39 amd dyslexic.

mirry2 Fri 21-Sep-12 22:14:56

crazy the tutors will know that most of the students had'nt writtine much or anything and there are usually practice essays to begin with, which are compulsory but marks don't count towards the exam. You will also be given lots of guidance in how to structure your essays and what evidence to use in support of your claims. The books you work from are all provided by the ou and so you aren't expected to do any other reading. I found that a bit difficult to accept as I thought that the most able students would benefit from wider reading but at least it didn't disadvantage students who didn't have access to a broader range of academic literature.

crazy8 Fri 21-Sep-12 20:54:18

Thank you all for your encouragement. Will call on Monday I think and look at an openings course to begin with. Think I need some practice. Haven't written an essay or report in 24 years.

shadowland Fri 21-Sep-12 20:38:52

I took 10 years to complete a BSc Hons degree (Open)...between the ages of 40 and 50. I'm a slow learner, could only do one module at a time...and I chose the modules I was interested in. I learned SO MUCH, having never been a strong student at school at all (in fact I failed more exams than I ever passed there).
Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think my degree was possible...but it happened...a 2:1. I never went to the graduation ceremony because for me, I had studied very personally just for me- for the huge, huge inner satisfaction of achieving something I had thought was impossible. I grew as a person as a result, and the timing of it, as children left home, was perfect.
Good luck to anyone who does similar...it really is an amazing and worthwhile journey.

ByTheWay1 Fri 21-Sep-12 20:26:35

It costs a bloomin fortune though if you are not entitled to assistance....

mirry2 Fri 21-Sep-12 20:24:44

Go for it. I used to be an OU tutor and our priority was to ensure late starters or returners were given the support and encouragement they needed.

hugoagogo Fri 21-Sep-12 20:19:32

I think it's a great idea and you will do fine! Lots of people in the same boat. You can probably transfer credit from your HND towards it too.

I am studying with the OU towards an open degree, but mostly history modules. I have completed the 2nd year that I dropped out of 17 years ago.

Now I only have to do the 3rd year p/t- I will be 44 when I hopefully graduate.

TheCalmingManatee Fri 21-Sep-12 20:18:18

Go for it, you will have to be pretty self disciplined to do OU, but you get a tutor, a tutor group and online support - i'd love to do an OU degree im quite envy They will be aware that you will have had a study break and there will probably be modules that cover study skills etc. Do it!!!

crazy8 Fri 21-Sep-12 20:12:39

Have been thinking a lot lately about what to do now DC are a bit older and don't need me as much. Am considering an OU History degree. The thing I'm mainly worried about is that I haven't studied since I did an HND. Couldn't finish the course through to a degree when I was younger due to personal circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now