College being REALLY funny about me needing to pick dd up from after school club.

(7 Posts)
Newlysingleandstuck Fri 14-Sep-12 11:53:58

I have started a professional training course this week, and they are being really slow with leaking timetables etc. We have been given Mon-Thurs next week, and I cannot make 4 of the 6 classes, as they are 3.30-5.30 or 5-7pm. When I applied I made it clear that I was a single parent who had to be on the 4.45pm train out of Kings Cross. I have called 5 times, and emailed 4 times, in the past week, asking to see a timetable, and asking that I be placed into groups (which are available) that finished before 4.45pm. I need to be at dd's school by 6pm, but am commuting from Cambridge to London each day. I had to escalate this to the head of the School just to get an answer, who has gone ballistic, and told me that under no circumstances will she make special dispensation for me after next week. I HAVE to attend the late classes.

No classes begin before 11am. This is a full-time course, so no-one is doing work placement. I cannot do the part-time course, as it is at the weekends and I can't afford out-of-hours childcare, as the whole thing is self-funded. They knew ALL Of this when I applied and when I accepted my place, and when I paid them the £17,000 course fees. Yet they are now saying that unless I show up I will fail the course. They also failed to tell us that the bank loans that you can take out to cover living expenses do not may out until Mid-October, so I have no money until then, so cannot even try to get a nanny to cover the 6-8.30pm slot, but I couldn't afford one anyway.

What do I do? I am furious, scared, broke and furious!!

cazboldy Sat 15-Sep-12 23:57:23

didn't want to read and not reply..... but that is awful! truly awful! what did she suggest that you do? is there noone that can help you? at least in the short term such as one of dd's school friends mum's/family member?

what a god-awful situation sad

boredandrestless Sun 16-Sep-12 19:21:14

That is appalling that they have taken your fees despite you checking and checking when the class times were and if they could accommodate you.

Do you have anyone you could ask for help in the short term until you can get things sorted? I would help out a friend/relative/neighbour who was in a fix. I wouldn't be able to help long term but would happily help out for a while.

Newlysingleandstuck Sun 16-Sep-12 21:21:01

Thanks to both of you. I couldn't work out if I was blowing this totally out of proportion! Am meeting the head of the school face to face tomorrow, and if I don't get a good answer I am going to the professional board! I'm sure there are parents that would help out, but 5 days a week is a big ask, even spread over a number of mums, and dd needs to be home to do homework, have a bath and have a cuddle anyway. I will get it sorted-you don't get this far into the career as a single mum unless you are the type that doesn't let things lie, but could have done without it really!

FiveRingsForDinner Thu 20-Sep-12 19:52:42

sad

What a bugger

MatureUniStudent Tue 02-Oct-12 19:10:59

Oh you poor thing - so much sympathy - you choose your course because you thought it would fit in with your life - Hard enough when they are ill and you need to collect them. Because you are in Cambridge - is there any chance you can do the course in Cambs? Or on a dual campus so if you cant make one lecture, you can at another campus?

Campari Sun 28-Oct-12 23:15:25

How did it go, any luck?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now