Money Worries- masters

(3 Posts)

I'm doing a part-time Masters and working 22-25 hours a week in college. Money is manageable at the moment, but in a few months my course fees are going to rise considerably and I don't know what to do.

Because I work in a college, I only get paid in term time so this equals out to around 5000 a year. I get working tax credits and child tax credits, no maintenance as ex is a full time university student so doesn't have to contribute. I can manage my course costs at the moment but in a few months I have to start placement which could cost between £15 and £20 a week to get to and additionally personal therapy (a requirement of my MA) which will total £35 a week.

I am considering what jobs I could do in the evenings, although this will mean sacrificing already limited time with ds. I then feel very guilty studying at all and think should I just give up and try to work my way up in a job so I spend more time with ds and have more money/.

Because I am Masters level, I am not entitled to the access to learning fund. MA is in art therapy, so no funding available. Does any one have any advice?

redexpat Mon 10-Sep-12 20:36:34

I would go to the library, find the book with grant giving organisations and have a look. Also, the university may have their own things available. Ask individual tutors and staff if they know of anything - or if they need research assistants, or if they know of anyone who does etc. Very very best of luck to you x

newyearnewattitude Tue 11-Sep-12 19:39:00

Double check about the access to learning fund/hardship fund because at our uni masters are entitled to apply as are PhD students... Also if the therapy is a requirement check if there are any hardship funds in your dept/faculty seperate to the main uni one that you can apply to...

Can you teach/tutor undergrads? Offer private tuition to A Level/gcse students? Can you make something to sell?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now