Come one, come all.

(74 Posts)
MissMogwi Tue 21-Aug-12 22:41:55

I thought I'd start a thread for everyone starting, or returning to college or Uni in September.

I'm going into the third year of my degree and I'm looking forward to it after the long break. I've started planning my dissertation, although I haven't spent a lot of time on it due to the DC being on hols.

Sirzy Sun 07-Oct-12 15:27:50

I was being quite organised and had started my first assigment, now DS is poorly again and motivation has gone out of the window!

MissMogwi Sun 07-Oct-12 15:24:56

I've decided to have one day a week off. In order to keep my sanity and get the house to rights, so I can concentrate on studying. (Obviously when deadlines are looming, that will go out of the window!)

Yesterday I took the DC to the flicks and in the pm I did some housework, then relaxed all night. I feel much better for it, and have done a few hours study and preparation today.

Itwillendinsmiles Sat 06-Oct-12 08:55:59

I've been back for one week and it's been stressful! Due to various IT and admin issues in the faculty, I have been queuing outside student support every day trying to sort out enrollment for modules as well as coming to grips with what semesterisation means in my circumstances....

For me it means 80% of the years work will be done this term with 5 out of 6 final exams in January. Gulp!

Because of the module issues I've attended lots of different lectures and seminars because I didn't know which ones I could continue with until Christmas.

Now have 6 out of 7 modules more or less confirmed so only 20 contact hours next week! Will be in five days a week though for the next 10 weeks which is a real pain! And there'll be 5 pieces of course work due in mid- October.

So to echo Miss Mogwi.... and breathe!

MissMogwi Fri 05-Oct-12 23:14:39

Well, I've only been back for two weeks and I'm shattered. Totally stressed out about the amount of work. I know this is common after months off, but...arrrrgh!

and breathe

Sirzy Mon 01-Oct-12 18:22:34

Day one done, even spent 3 hours in the library starting to do research!

Vagaceratops Mon 01-Oct-12 14:12:40

I start tomorrow and I am avoiding the background reading by reading something else blush

Sirzy Sun 30-Sep-12 20:29:09

I am back tomorrow, thankfully first monday lecture isn't til 11 smile

Bag is packed ready to go even got notes printed off (thought I better start organised at least!)

Nightwish Sun 30-Sep-12 20:26:59

I started back Wednesday.
Really enjoyed it and happy to be back.
Now I am aiming to actually keep on top of work this year.

Itwillendinsmiles Sun 30-Sep-12 15:45:34

I'm back in tomorrow at 9am.... it's been a very long four months! Maintenance loan is thankfully showing in the bank account! smile

Not sure quite what to expect as the modules I thought I'd be doing aren't all available to me on the on-line enrollment pages so I foresee some waiting outside doors to get some lecturer input time tomorrow!

Hope all who have been back a week or two are having a great time!

Sirzy Mon 24-Sep-12 16:05:28

I go back next monday and my timetable is starting to come through in dribs and drabs as tutors update blackboard!

Niceupthedance Mon 24-Sep-12 15:45:22

I don't start til next Monday - still not got my timetable, luckily childminder is being quite understanding so far...

Benaberry Sun 23-Sep-12 16:33:59

Can I join in? Just started the 2nd year of my work-sponsored MBA with Northampton uni.

Signed up for it last summer when things looked pretty quiet for a while on the work front, then within a week of first assignment being set 2 major project started and shortly after I fell pregnant unexpectedly with DS2! Somehow survived year one with good grades, DS2 arrived late July just after finishing the year, and I went in for my first module say this week whilst on mat leave (wanted to stay with same cohort)

First assignment for this year due mid-Nov, a 2000 word report. I keep telling myself it can't be any harder than last year, working full time, being pregnant, in and out of hospital...

I'm mad aren't I?!

FateLovesTheFearless Sun 23-Sep-12 13:58:46

I have already passed two of my numeracy assessments, will find out if I passes the next one on Thursday! Passed my office app productivity legislation test too, think I got one wrong but again will find out on Friday. Five lads have dropped the course, another two have joined. Hope everyone else is getting on okay! smile

MissMogwi Sun 23-Sep-12 12:16:38

How is everyone doing?

I'm back tomorrow, just doing some reading pissing about on the net in preparation. I've got The Fear a bit, as I've not been in since May, and my brain is hibernating.

Coffee it is. grin

Sirzy Thu 20-Sep-12 17:32:18

How is everyone getting on? Hope those of you who are back/just started are having fun!

I am still waiting for my timetable to be confirmed, uni are supposedly making sure I don't have any late sessions this year so we will have to see if they manage it!

ninah Sun 16-Sep-12 22:57:49

Raven that reminds me of my GCSE classes - three of us 'matures' who were the class swots v lots of chatting from the back row. We had the last laugh though, we all got As! just keep your head down and keep swimming smile
I'm starting a Distance Learning Masters in Jan, so hope to join the thread for some mutual procrastination

TheLastRavenhope Mon 10-Sep-12 19:34:11

DontForget - I'm not sure - want them to drop out, it's kind of like watching car crash TV, only in real life, and could be quite entertaining wink

sirzy - I'm holding on to the hope that they'll settle down as the work gets harder!

NineCrimes - They're 18 or 19 (can't remember which it was) so quite young, yes. Our first controlled assessment is on the 15th of next month and there's a ton of stuff to get through before that! We were handed a ten page booklet on punctuation to complete for homework after having written out a surprise essay on the spot about language used in articles, so if that's the first lesson, I imagine the workload will increase dramatically!

I wish I understood the obsession with Minecraft though, my 10 year old DS loves it but I can't see the attraction myself hmm

NineCrimes Mon 10-Sep-12 18:58:10

Last - they are young I presume? Most of the lads barr two are 17-20 and I now know more about minecraft than networking! grin it does get a bit wearing but grit your teeth and they will settle down. We have 16 modules to complete and will be starting assessments as early as this week for some of them, so I imagine the lads in my class will knuckle down then. smile

Sirzy Mon 10-Sep-12 18:56:53

Last they sound awful, I thought some of the 'children' on my course where bad. I hope they either calm down or drop out!

nine glad your enjoying the course!

Don't forget good luck, my BIL is just finishing his LD nurse training and has loved it.

Oh wow, Last, good for you! Those people on your course sound dreadful, lets hope they drop out, eh? wink

TheLastRavenhope Mon 10-Sep-12 18:01:05

Milkteef - I certainly hope so but I doubt. They struck me as the type of young men who are loud, inconsiderate and slightly feral. They certainly didn't help to dispel that impression when they ignored the tutor to talk about how 'fucking hard that call of duty level last night' was.

Missmogwi - Again, I hope they do settle down because they'll drive me nuts eventually if they don't!

Hi NineCrimes! I hope it goes well for you!

DontForgetTheLightAles - Ooh, I wish you the best of luck! I'm hoping to eventually get onto a medicine course to become a GP but it's babysteps right now starting with my GCSE's smile

I'm starting tomorrow! Access to HE - I wasn't very academically focused as a teenager and I keep starting things and not finishing them...

I want to train as a Learning Disability or Mental Health Nurse, I can apply in December for next September, as long as I'm a good, conscientious student.

I feel really excited about it, even looking forward to living on rice and free vegetables (dad is farmer) and doing homework with son.

Oh, I got a vair nice blue polka-dot academic diary in The Works for £1.49 grin.

NineCrimes Mon 10-Sep-12 14:18:39

Hi all, I started college at the end of August, currently doing an NC in digital media computing, aiming for a degree in computing which can be done in four years! I am turning 28 and am a lone parent to 4dc smile

These first two weeks have been brilliant, really enjoying the classes though numeracy and me don't get along well at the moment confused maths was my worst subject in school...12 years ago!

I am the oldest in my class and the only female, seems like computing is more of a bloke thing!

MissMogwi Mon 10-Sep-12 14:14:22

*quiet not quieter!

MissMogwi Mon 10-Sep-12 14:12:33

There were a few people like that in my first year Last. It doesn't last! Once the first assignments are due in, they quieter down very quickly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now