Come one, come all.

(74 Posts)
MissMogwi Tue 21-Aug-12 22:41:55

I thought I'd start a thread for everyone starting, or returning to college or Uni in September.

I'm going into the third year of my degree and I'm looking forward to it after the long break. I've started planning my dissertation, although I haven't spent a lot of time on it due to the DC being on hols.

Itwillendinsmiles Wed 22-Aug-12 08:28:10

MissMowgi did your mentoring training go well?

I don't start back until 1st October - could really do with the maintenance loan before then!

Third year of my degree and it's been much too long a break... and I'm definitely ready to return to study. I think I've decided which modules to do; just need the online enrollment to be opened to make sure they're all running... I was caught out last year!

Many of my the students I began with are doing internships or work placements this year and the department is changing to semesterisation so lots of changes ahead!

MissMogwi Wed 22-Aug-12 09:52:25

Hi

I didn't end up going to the training as my childcare fell through so I'm doing it in September.

We get our loan on the 17th September, it can't come quick enough for me! <turns out pockets>. Then I'm back on the 24th. I only have two units plus my dissertation this year, but the work load seems much tougher!

What is it you are studying? I'm doing an English degree, hoping to do a PGCE but I'm not 100%.

Sirzy Thu 23-Aug-12 15:53:42

I'm just going into my second year, not back til the 1st October though

Nightwish Fri 24-Aug-12 08:10:38

I'm going into my second year.
Back on 26th Sept.

HND in Business Management.
So another 2 years after this for the full honours degree.

Vagaceratops Fri 24-Aug-12 20:22:08

I am going back on the 1st October - 2nd year but I am part time so I am actually at the second half of the first year if that makes sense.

I have really missed it and cant wait to be back. I am just looking at stationary grin

MissMogwi Fri 24-Aug-12 20:55:04

Ooo yes. I'll be getting some new pens and notebooks, and a new bag.

I have great plans to spend lots more time in the library and not in Costa. We'll see.

crisisofidentity Fri 24-Aug-12 21:03:21

Hi,
I'm going back end of September. I'm part time in 2nd year of FD in psychology, I have been meaning to write my reflective assessment of learning over the summer and have had a mental block.
Must do it next week - need support!
Otherwise will be glad to go back.

MissMogwi Sat 25-Aug-12 12:26:03

I'm wishing this last week of August away to be honest.

I've lost my good habits of reading/research/making notes, so need to retrain my brain or I'll be stuffed when I'm back!

Plus we've been getting up late everyday! I will be mainlining caffeine next Wednesday when the kids go back.

And don't forget, it will be Fresher's Week. Be prepared for the young and beautiful to offer a leaflet/free condoms/other crap then snatch it back when they notice you are 'old'. Or maybe that's just me! grin

likelucklove Sat 25-Aug-12 12:40:12

Hi.

I'm going back to re-do my third year in Criminology after deferring at the end of last year when I had my DD.

I've completely wasted my time off blush Hoping you ladies can give me a kick up the bum.

Also looking forward to my loan coming through so I can buy lots of new pens, paper, books only essentials of course.

Niceupthedance Sun 26-Aug-12 16:51:50

I'm doing my first year, starting October 1st - very excited!

It's a Bsc in childhood studies.

Looking forward to gleaning some tips from you wise people!

staranise Sun 26-Aug-12 21:38:35

Starting an MA by distance learning in language & linguistics - it's been a long time since I studied plus I now work PT nad have 3 DCs so slightly apprehensive and have done nothing as yet in the way of preparation!

MissMogwi Mon 27-Aug-12 15:17:25

So, has anyone done any work ready for the new term?

I have read lots of novels and some critical analysis but my brain needs a kick start to do a rough plan of my dissertation. Luckily my DC go back on the 5th Sept. so I can crack on then, without the "Muuuum,Muuuuum"

What about new students, any reading done? In my first year I was skint so couldn't buy many books before the loan (my precious) hit my account.

crisisofidentity Mon 27-Aug-12 19:23:31

Christ I have to write a reflective piece for my learning path last year. I hate these and have been actively putting it off all summer. I eed a kick start,
And to get off MN!

Sirzy Mon 27-Aug-12 19:40:40

I got 3 books out of the library at the end of last year, I may open them at some point in the next month!

MissMogwi Mon 27-Aug-12 19:43:55

I've looked at the first page of one for the past three nights...suddenly it's morning.

Shite.

grin

crisisofidentity Tue 28-Aug-12 20:36:09

I went to the library today!shock
Took out some books for ds extended project, but the moral of the story is it made me look out some reading for when I start back. Don't start until October.
Feeling very proud of myself, now I just got to read them.

crisisofidentity Tue 28-Aug-12 20:36:57

I've just got to, I do go to University really.

AbbyRue Wed 29-Aug-12 19:01:30

Hello smile

I go back for my 2nd year on the 24/09 but by then I will be 35 weeks pregnant with DC3 grinblushgrin absolute madness!!

I love being at Uni full time but I know it will be tough this academic year since I won't be there much till like February really. Ah well

MissMogwi Thu 30-Aug-12 10:20:02

Well I have made lots of notes and organised myself somewhat. I've no DC today so I'll crack on and see if I can do a rough outline for my dissertation.

I won't get the duvet down and watch old films all day. <lies>

Niceupthedance Thu 30-Aug-12 16:50:29

Can anyone do me a quick list of anything I am likely to need for uni? I'm thinking: do I need a pencil case? grin

Sirzy Thu 30-Aug-12 17:31:59

I have a pencil case simply so I don't have to hunt in my bag to find a pen!

Other stuff you will need is paper (both writing and for your printer - all our lecture notes go online to print yourself) some sort of storage for the notes and a pen drive - I have one which goes on my keys to reduce the risks of me losing it (or mean I end up in a complete panic as I have lost both!)

MissMogwi Thu 30-Aug-12 18:52:49

I buy cheap different coloured post its from Wilkos. I use them as page markers in books/seminar handouts and for notes. I get them from the kids section near the rubbers shaped like ice creams and hoovers! You can buy things specifically for that task but they are more expensive and you get less in the pack.

I use a different coloured note book for each unit. Easy to find and chuck in my bag the night before. I also have a corresponding box file for each unit for handouts, notes etc.

Sounds daft but I take a snack and water with me these days, if I'm in for a long day. Buying from the canteen every day can add up.

Niceupthedance Thu 30-Aug-12 19:21:24

Ah some great tips, thanks.

Sirzy Thu 30-Aug-12 19:27:34

I like the notebook idea, will be stealing that this year!

I agree with water and snack, our library has a water fountain which is handy to fill the bottle from!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now