starting college but benefits being stopped, help!

(5 Posts)
IneedAbetterNicknameIn2012 Wed 15-Aug-12 15:53:22

Hi , I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me. I am a single Mum, my boys are 8 and 5 and I am due to start college in September to do an access to midwifery course. When I had my last lone parent interview, I was told that my income support would continue, as student parents could keep their income support until the youngest is 7, not 5. Well I found out this week that this isn't the case. The job centre have told me I'll have to get student loan or bursary, and the college have told me they I can't get one of n those. Then someone told me I would be able to get job seekers as college is less than 16 hours, but the job centre have said that's not the case and that it's a full time class.

No-one seems to know what I can claim, if anything. So I was hoping someone on here might have been in a similar situation. Thanks

I'm not sure about the benefirts side of things sorry Ineed, but I do know that there is not usually funding available for access courses. (Or at least in the college I'll be attending next year.) I've deferred my place for this year to save some money and reduce overdraft etc before I start as I realised it'd be pretty difficult without doing so.

Nex year I'm planning on working 4 days per week and then I'll have three days college per week on top. Its only for nine months really and will be worth it in the long run!

Can you look for 16 hours per week and that way you will qualify for WTC to top the wages up?

IneedAbetterNicknameIn2012 Wed 15-Aug-12 16:41:49

I was wondering if working 16 hours was the solution! So now to find a job offering that :-) thanks.

boredandrestless Thu 30-Aug-12 17:59:07

Oh god is that right?

I am starting an access course too and was also told I would still get income support - hadn't thought to double check it! Gulp. I've bloody enrolled now so I will have to manage on whatever I have coming in. Will be calling lone parent advisor tomorrow to check. My benefits slightly different as my DS age 7 has autism and i receive carers, and a slightly lower amount of IS.

The full time thing has me worried too. I was told I'd still be okay for carer's as course is 15 hours but I'm worried that's not right now either.

I have applied for the learning fund you get paid once a term but have no idea how much I will be paid, if anything - the college side of things has all been so last minute, I have only just got my timetable to sort out childcare.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 30-Aug-12 18:07:06

It sounds like your advisor is a bit confused. I'm not sure of the benefits issue but it seems that she thinks your course is degree level as opposed to A-level equivalent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now