Anyone else starting an OU degree this autumn?

(43 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Sun 05-Aug-12 17:48:53

If all works out with my financial support application, I will be starting a Psychology degree with the OU in October.

I'm really looking forward to it but am also a little worried how I'll cope having a baby DD and studying.

Is anyone else starting soon? Would be nice if we could have a little support thread on here.

<goes away and hopes for some replies>

gingergran Sun 05-Aug-12 20:50:12

Which module are you doing?

MrsHuxtable Sun 05-Aug-12 22:21:13

I'm starting with SDK125 Introducing the health sciences and then in February, I'll start DSE141 Discovering psychology.

Are you studying with the OU as well?

gingergran Sun 05-Aug-12 23:08:39

yes, i'm half way through a childhood and youth degree. i have recently finished dse141 - its a really enjoyable course - i may be biased as i got a distinction!

am starting dse232 in september, sk124 in november, which are 15 credits and then restarting ed209 in february which i had to drop out of for all sorts of reasons not related to the course.

if you have a good tutor the OU is fab, particularly as you can fit the work around your schedule. many of us work or have other responsibilities and you get used to juggling, and if you are anything like me no doubt we will meet on the procrastination threads which become very popular when TMAs are due.

Makingmama Mon 06-Aug-12 22:42:57

Yes I am!! Starting AA100 module in October - the beginning of my English Literature degree hopefullY!! Very excited grin

Aboutlastnight Mon 06-Aug-12 22:47:12

Hi I am in my third year studying psychology -currently on DD209, developmental psychology. Have one more year to go. Started when DD3 was a few months old.

Be pragmatic, accept that sometimes you won't do your best as the are do many demands on you, keep looking at the big picture and ticking off those TMAs and you will get there.

cazboldy Tue 07-Aug-12 08:25:46

I did AA100 last year, and am going to do A200 and L192 in the autumn smile

Makingmama Tue 07-Aug-12 13:00:20

Thanks, very good advice aboutlastnight smile

How did you find AA100 cazboldy?

kellykateneedsaholiday Tue 07-Aug-12 13:02:12

I'm starting AA100 in the autumn too.

toomuchpizza Tue 07-Aug-12 14:45:07

I did SDK125 in 2010/11 and really enjoyed it. I've got 3 wee boys ranging from 8mo to 4.5y and it isn't easy but can be done. The biggest problem I have is motivation (especially around the middle of a course) and finding time to study. I'm doing level 3 now (SD329) and finding it hard but we've had a very difficult year with the baby being ill and think if that hadn't happened it would've been ok.

My best advice would be to get stuck in as soon as you get the course materials. If you get a good head start then it helps later on when motivation problems set in and also allows you to have time off for things like Christmas without panicking afterwards. Facebook groups for each course can also be very helpful.

Good luck!

cazboldy Tue 07-Aug-12 16:30:12

Parts of it very interesting - other parts not so much..... just go into it with an open mind smile and you might be surprised with some of the things you enjoy.

I started it with a view to doing an Eng Lit/Lang degree, but have swapped to doing a history one!

chipmunksex Wed 08-Aug-12 16:03:45

I've got 2 more years of a history degree to do with the OU <I'm doing A200 in september too cazboldy so I might be comparing notes with you>

Are both your courses 60 pointers Mrs Huxtable? That overlap sounds a killer. February always seems a particularly tough time for me anyway.

cazboldy Wed 08-Aug-12 17:42:52

look forward to it chipmunksex smile

TheHeirOfSlytherin Thu 09-Aug-12 19:12:02

I am starting a History degree in October, starting with AA100. I left school about 5 years ago and financial circumstances meant I couldn't go to uni so I'm hoping I can make up for it now. Although, managing a full time job, a 2 year old plus the housework etc as well as studying will be a challenge.

I hope I can do it. I will be the first in my family to go to uni (even if it is the OU).

I feel like I should be heading to WH Smiths for the obligatory new school term pencil case, pens, folders etc. I used to love doing that when I was a child!

TheHeirOfSlytherin Thu 09-Aug-12 19:18:27

When I say "even if is the OU" I don't mean that it's not as good as a conventional uni by the way, just that as it's not conventional certain people don't see it as "proper" uni (especially in my family anyway).

Just thought I'd clear that up!!!

goldenticket Thu 09-Aug-12 23:49:35

Ooh MrsHuxtable, me too!! I'm starting with Introducing the Social Sciences Part 1 in October and then Discovering Psychology in February.

I've got three children aged 13, 11 and 9 and work part-time - have everything crossed that I can manage it all. I signed up originally when my first was a baby but I got cold feet and pulled out. REALLY wish I'd stuck at it, even if just doing one module a year - I'd have a degree by now!

I'm just waiting for my loan form to fill in, then it's all systems go.

goldenticket Thu 09-Aug-12 23:51:25

TheHeirOfSlytherin, I hadn't even twigged that this was an ideal stationery purchasing opportunity - deep joy!

Foxy800 Fri 10-Aug-12 20:47:36

I am just about to go into my third year with the Open university. I have a 6 yr old and work as well. It is very hard work but it is also so rewarding and so worth it.

Mspontipine Mon 13-Aug-12 01:05:54

Another one for A100 here smile
I finished Y180 earlier this year.
Scared but excited grin

BeatriceBean Mon 13-Aug-12 01:10:51

Oooh enjoy! I finished a psychology degree with them last year and loved it! What will you do with it,do you know?

goldenticket Tue 14-Aug-12 20:40:52

For me, I'm hoping it will help me get back into market research which was my job pre children...

goldenticket Tue 14-Aug-12 20:42:27

And of course many congratulations! How long did it take you? Are you using it in your job now?

BeatriceBean Tue 14-Aug-12 21:20:23

4 years in total, but I made sure with the level 3 courses I only did one a year. It is very hard to do them the same year and get a good grade as they are completely different approaches.

I loved it. I intended to try and retrain as a psychologist but we moved away from a training university. I also then fell pregnant! I expect I will return to teaching and teach 6th formers but I'm open to other ideas at the moment too.

MrsHuxtable Tue 14-Aug-12 21:47:35

Ohhh, this thread has really moved on. I'm glad to see it!!!
Sorry for my absence. I'm on holiday at the moment so am not posting much. I think my application has progressed as wehn I now click on my chosen module on the StudentHome page, it says "Your payment is being processed". I'm not getting ahead of myself but I think that means I got a fee grant. So excited.

Chipmunksex No, the modules are only 30 points each, so during the overlap, I'd be studying 60 at the same time. I'm only doing the overlap because my funding will be for one year for now so while I want to take it slow because of my other commitments, I still want to get a decent amount of points done while it's free iykwim.

toomuchpizza I'm glad to hear you enjoyed SDK125. You must be so organised with 3 children!!!

goldenticket I'm sooooo excited to hear you're doing the same course and soon even the same module. I really hope we can stay in touch on here!

MrsHuxtable Tue 14-Aug-12 22:10:34

I'm not sure what I'm going to do once I finish this degree.
I was studying before at uni, English and German but dropped out right at the end before my dissertation for quite complicated reasons but it wasn't what I wanted so I'm fine with that decision now (eventhough loads of people still think it makes me a failure wink)!
So this is all the more important to me as it's what I have chosen and I really want to have a degree to my name. I'm in a great place right now, so very positive about this. I know, realistically, it will take me quite a while. We also want to have a second DC within the next 2 years.

It's such an inspiration though to see how many of you on here are managing to study while raising a family and sometimes holding down a job as well.

A, so excited about this now......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now