OU grade boundaries? Care to share your experiences?

(53 Posts)
LarvaeLamp Tue 04-Oct-11 12:51:43

Instead of revising, I am wasting time working out my OCAS and OES...

In previous courses, I have got Pass 1's, with OCAS of 86 and OES of 84. Now I know you are meant to get 85 in both to get a Pass 1, but I wonder how much variation there can be? Has anyone here got a Pass 1 with a much lower OCAS or OES? Do you only get pulled up if the higher of the two is much higher?

Humour me, this ruminating is better than what I am revising smile

HSMM Sun 09-Oct-11 13:04:41

Inmysparetime - I'm doing ke312 exam tomorrow too.

I was messing about with the score calculators last week, because I have done well in the essays, but I don't hold out much hope for the exam!

Mine is in Manchester, where's yours?

VJay Sun 09-Oct-11 17:14:55

yay just realised my exam is Wednesday, not Tuesday, so an extra days revision!!!

said Sun 09-Oct-11 18:29:07

God, imagine if you hadn't checked? Or worse, didn't check and it was the other way round shock I just want it over with now as it's intruding into my life too much.

twinklytroll Sun 09-Oct-11 18:34:49

last year my tma average was 82% and I got 95% in the exam. I came out with a pass 1.

This year I also have 82% but don't think I could strike lucky twice - I am sure I could get 70% without revising which is just as well as I have too much work to revise.

said Sun 09-Oct-11 19:29:42

What subject twinky?

twinklytroll Sun 09-Oct-11 19:41:08

Last year it was Philosophy and the Human situation.

This year it is a level 3 Philopsophy of the mind

said Sun 09-Oct-11 20:00:45

Wow at 95% in exam though

twinklytroll Sun 09-Oct-11 20:11:37

I teach so I find exams quite easy as I can in the mind of the marker. I don't stress about remembering lots of stuff, but showing the skills that will get me the best mark.

said Sun 09-Oct-11 20:14:24

Oo, go on, care to share a few tips? I've written exam questions myself and had enough tuition in exam technique so should know better but still interested in anything you can share.

twinklytroll Sun 09-Oct-11 20:16:37

No great secret at all just read the marking criteria that are in your TMA booklet and then rehearse using those skills in your revision. I do lots of essay questions again and again.

I also make mini revision cards which often have essay plans on which I make on index cards which go onto a keyring so I can learn a few things on the go.

said Sun 09-Oct-11 20:23:37

Thanks. Think I do need to demonstrate I know some stuff though with economics, unfortunately.

twinklytroll Sun 09-Oct-11 20:25:46

Yes it will vary according to the subject.

Of course you need to know some stuff but the examiners do not want to see that you have memorised the books, rather that you can pick out the key points and evaluate them clearly and hopedfully add your own spin,

said Sun 09-Oct-11 20:38:31

No chance of memorising the books grin

twinklytroll Sun 09-Oct-11 20:39:45

Not for me either, just as well really.

HSMM Sun 09-Oct-11 22:58:53

I'm in Wokingham tomorrow. Good luck

HSMM Mon 10-Oct-11 07:32:48

Good luck Inmysparetime smile

Thanks, you too, I'm pretty chilled as I only need 55%, which requires only basic arguments, and if there's one thing I'm good at it's arguinggrin.
I am looking forward to getting my life back at 5.30 when this is all overwink

onequestion Mon 10-Oct-11 15:45:03

It's totally up to the exam board. I got an 84 one year and an 89 in the exam and got a pass 1. I was so chuffed as had convinced myself that wasn't possible as the online calculator kept saying that even if I got 100% in the exam I couldn't do that.

Having a big old panic this year because I have worked so hard and got myself an 85 in the ocas. I found the work bloody hard so consider that a huge achievement (it's dd303, cognitive psychology). However, I just don't think at this stage I can match that in the exam, it's just too hard and I'm exhausted (have M.E). And yet if I can get a pass one overall I get a 1st in the degree. I can just see myself missing out on a couple of marks and not getting it and being cross with myself for the rest of my life. sad I am far too much of a perfectionist for my own good.

LarvaeLamp Mon 10-Oct-11 18:15:11

Are you me onequestion?! (except I don't have to battle M.E. too sad)
I am in excatly the same position as you, except my OCAS turned out to be 84%, and I too doubt I can match that in the exam.
Will your TMA05 help at all?
I reckon I will miss out on a 1st too, thought I have Social next year which might be 'easier'.
What are you revising for each section?

onequestion Tue 11-Oct-11 12:16:49

For tma 5 I got 83% so no I don't think it will help sadly. Boo.

I have already done dd307 (social). I did disastrously through the year and then got a first in the exam which was at least something, though rather frustrating. It is better in lots of ways, but I didn't enjoy it (although know lots who did).

I'm revising Attention (and only skim reading Autobiographical memory so screwed if Attention doesn't come up!)
Language processing (yuck!), Concepts and Language and Thought
And then Emotion & Cognition and skim reading Intelligence.

I am taking a risk - wish I could learn working memory and problem solving and go over consciousness, but there you have it. No more time really. And certainly no more energy! wink

Good luck! This is SO hard, isn't it? It doesn't help that lots of the chapters are badly written.

DamselInDisarray Tue 11-Oct-11 12:59:36

KatyMac's tutor is correct, the exam award board has discretion to alter the boundaries for each of the pass grades. The board sets minimum scores for OCAS OES and also a minimum score based on both scores.

It's all quite complicated (it takes hours and involves lots of tables and charts to work out), but it does mean that the calculator is not always correct. My advice would just be to do your best and worry too much about what the calculator says.

said Tue 11-Oct-11 18:06:15

How did you get on inmysparetime? Isn't a lovely feeling when it's over?

It feels good to stop stressing about revisiongrin. I did really well for the first question, ok for the second, and the third was the rantings of a mad woman! I'm sure I've done more than enough to pass anyway.
The saddest thing was that all I wanted to do with my free time today was clean the house, as it got pretty disgusting while I neglected it for revisionblush

acunningstunt Thu 21-Feb-13 21:23:41

Sorry to drag up an old thread smile

I've had grades bumped up twice - once when I got below in TMAs and above in the exam, and once when I got above in TMAs and below in the exam. Both were level 2 courses.

My current final level 3 course, I'm averaging at 82% in the TMAs (with one to go). It's unlikely I'll get above 85 - I'd have to get 93 in the last one! Just wondering if anyone's been bumped up when they've been below 85 on both TMAs and ECA? Last year's ECA was also low 80s, so if I'm consistent I'll be just under the grade boundary for both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now