OU grade boundaries? Care to share your experiences?

(53 Posts)
LarvaeLamp Tue 04-Oct-11 12:51:43

Instead of revising, I am wasting time working out my OCAS and OES...

In previous courses, I have got Pass 1's, with OCAS of 86 and OES of 84. Now I know you are meant to get 85 in both to get a Pass 1, but I wonder how much variation there can be? Has anyone here got a Pass 1 with a much lower OCAS or OES? Do you only get pulled up if the higher of the two is much higher?

Humour me, this ruminating is better than what I am revising smile

Cat2405 Tue 04-Oct-11 13:06:28

Sorry I can't help with your answer, but I am writing an EMA at the moment and my OCAS is 84, and was also wondering whether there was any movement of boundaries...

Cwm Tue 04-Oct-11 13:22:39

yes, the boundaries can move. I got unexpected pass 1s in both my courses, when technically I was below the grade. First time I was below 85 in my OCAS and just above in my EMA - my total average was still below but they bumped me up. Second time both my OCAS and EMA were below 85 but I still got a pass 1. I don't know how they decide this though! I feel very lucky.

said Tue 04-Oct-11 17:13:14

Oh, I'm avoiding revising by dicking about on the score predictor thing as well. I've got 83% in OCAS but even if I put 100% as predicted exam mark, it doesn't change it to Pass 2. It's all academic as I'm more likely to balls up exam and just scrape a 40% but curious and procrastinating nonetheless.

Mousey84 Tue 04-Oct-11 17:38:17

NO!!! dont procrastinate - just finish the EMA! Its such an incredible relief to get it over and done with you almost wont care what grade you get. (I submitted 3 days ago...I needed 70% to get grade 2 pass)

LarvaeLamp Tue 04-Oct-11 21:01:54

mousey my exam in is a couple of weeks, so I have LOTS of time left to procrastinate wink

said surely if you have 83 in OCAS, then with 100% in the exam you would def get a pass 2, or maybe pass 1? I wonder if it is possible to get 100% in the exam?

cwm that is interesting to hear. My course has been faffed around with this year, so we are hoping the markers might be more lenient grin

cat get back to it! Like wot I'm doing, obviously...

said Tue 04-Oct-11 21:06:17

Still here procrastinating - I meant to say that, with 100%, I'd expect to get a 1st (the theoretical me) but the calculator just sticks at Pass 2

LarvaeLamp Wed 05-Oct-11 12:39:34

Ah, that makes sense said! Yes, the calculator is fixed - only a pass 1 if you get 85+ OCAS and 85+ OES. That's why I was wondering how flexible the marking scheme actually is, and hoping for lots of lovely examples of people getting 80 in their OES and still getting pass 1's!

Mind you, if I don't get my head down soon, I'll not get anywhere near a 80 OES...

I'm afraid that whilst I got Pass 1 marks for my OCAS my exam marks meant I came out with a third. I was told you need to get a Pass 1 or 2 in both to get a higher mark.

KatyMac Wed 05-Oct-11 12:45:52

My tutor says it doesn't matter what the predictor thing says the exam board decide actual grades when they look at everyone as a whole.....apparently wink

VJay Thu 06-Oct-11 07:22:12

I once got 84% in my ocas and 96% in my exam but still got a grade 2, I was gutted, I'd rushed my last assignment and gave birth less than 24 hours after I'd submitted it! Whereas on another course I'd got similar marks and got a grade 1. It is all down to the examination board.

I feel a bit of a dunce here, if I get a Pass 2 it's a massive achievement. I have my final exam on Monday, and a Mark from 40-55% will get me a pass 4, 55-100% a pass 3. Lower standards mean I now need to aim for 55%, anything above that is a bonus. Nobody's ever going to look at my pass marks as I'm already vastly overqualified for my barely minimum wage job (I have a BSc in physics and am completing a BA in Early Years).

said Thu 06-Oct-11 17:22:51

Blimey VJay - that's harsh shock What was the subject?

Fear not inmysparetime - I'm only having a theoretical discussion about this - I always balls up exams by having a disorganised mind and feeling in awe of people doing mind maps all over the place.

VJay Thu 06-Oct-11 19:59:18

It was maths MST209.

I got OCAS of 87 and OES of 83 and I got a pass 1, so there is definitely a bit of leeway I reckon.

How does everyone on here get such high marks? My family keeps getting in the waygrin

Mousey84 Fri 07-Oct-11 12:32:25

DD has playdates every day for a week before a TMA due - I only manage 7 hours study a week the rest of the time. Ive picked courses based on the fact they dont have exams as Id never do well. In my last course (DB234 - personal financial planning) was so far over my head that I skimmed the chapter then read the TMA question and searched the book for the answer. Seems to have worked out very well, though I spent more time looking up terms than on any other course. sad

I managed to avoid exams in all my other courses, but I had to take KE312 to finish my BA, so I have my first exam in 10 years on Monday.

VJay Fri 07-Oct-11 13:42:07

Good luck inmysparetime, I have my last exam on Tuesday as my final two modules have no exams smile

said Fri 07-Oct-11 16:17:50

I have an exam on Tuesday as well and have decided I will never pick a course with an exam again. Stuff that I could chat about and be completely logical about in normal conditions is now an incoherent mess in my head. And I've always only really ever worked to the TMAs but see that a consistent question on every past exam is about a part of the course I have just never read about

said Fri 07-Oct-11 16:18:36

Sorry, good luck as well inmysparetime

VJay Sat 08-Oct-11 07:36:38

Good luck said. I'm just up now to tackle another past paper before the rest of the house is up, so I should get off mumsnet and get on with it really grin

I know that feeling. A neighbour asked me to babysit last night and I agreed readily so I could get some revision donegrin

LarvaeLamp Sat 08-Oct-11 17:51:44

Good luck everyone who is revising or completing an EMA. What are you doing on here lol!

Can I just share my grrr moment for today. I got my OCAS - 84% - so near but yet so far! It's not helping me find my revision mojo...

Cat2405 Sat 08-Oct-11 19:49:12

*Same as me LarvaeLamp!

Good luck all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now