Champix

(12 Posts)
MagicStarz6 Sat 17-Sep-16 12:22:43

So after 10 years of smoking I have finally taken my first champix tablet today.
I have heard mixed reviews about this medicine but I'm feeling hopeful! I have set my stop smoking date for 2 weeks today.
When will I start seeing results?

BeezerBubble Sat 17-Sep-16 12:28:58

Took less than a week for me. Smoking tasted absolutely awful after about four or five days of starting the course.

TheNaze73 Sat 17-Sep-16 12:30:59

Just be careful with the side effects. Most people get results in days though

MagicStarz6 Sat 17-Sep-16 13:32:06

I really want this to work, I'm totally fed up with smoking. Just had a cig and I'm not sure if it's in my head but towards the end it tasted rank. Definantly feeling hopeful.

wellthatsjustgreat Sat 17-Sep-16 15:48:17

I smoked up until day 13 of taking champix. I felt really queasy & totally exhausted whilst initially taking it but as soon as I stopped smoking, I felt fine. I did have some pretty mental dreams whilst taking it though shock
I've now been a non smoker for 5 months, 11 days & 16 hours not that I'm counting or anything. I have an app called smoke free which has really helped too.

Buttwing Sat 17-Sep-16 16:02:05

I gave up on champix I also read Alan Carr along side it remind me how awful smoking was. I've been a non smoker for 4 years and I had smoked 20 a day for 15 years, it was the first thing I did in the morning and the last thing I did at night I never thought I would be able to do it. I never ever want one now

MadgeMak Mon 19-Sep-16 17:55:41

I really want to give champix a try, are doctors usually reluctant to prescribe it though? Just want to be forearmed before I approach my GP, have a feeling they will try to push NRT on me first and I've tried that (bought myself rather than prescribed) without success.

I quit with Champix, been 7 years now.

Do be careful of the side effects - make sure you eat before you take them, especially when you go up a dose. They're also known to lower your blood pressure so if it's already low make sure you have it checked regularly. I used to faint if I stood too quickly but that passed once I'd finished the course. I set my quit day at 10 days in but had my last smoke on day 7. They tasted disgusting and I was finishing less and less of each one until I was lighting it, taking a puff and putting it out.

MissBattleaxe Mon 19-Sep-16 18:00:04

My doctor was enthusiastic about prescribing it for me, but did say it was expensive, so I had to be committed. I was given two weeks at first, then the next four weeks, then the last four weeks.

I have successfully stopped smoking and don't miss it and don't want one and that was exactly the result I was hoping for. The cigarette craving just gradually faded away. I set my quit date as five weeks after starting the course and the transition was so natural that I can't even remember the exact date.

Side effects- vivid dreams and nausea, but totally worth it.

MagicStarz6 Mon 19-Sep-16 18:05:49

I'm on day 4 and I am already seeing the difference. Usually smoke upto a pack a day and I've had 4 so far today! I start with the double tablet tomorrow.
Cannot fault champix at all so far. If you are thinking of stopping smoking I recommend champix!

wellthatsjustgreat Tue 20-Sep-16 14:38:51

Fantastic news, well done so far.
If you haven't already, get yourself a copy of the Alan Carr book - the psychology is 100% spot on IMO.
Also, as I mentioned before, get one of the quit smoking apps on your phone. The one I have have has really helped me & I still check it whenever I get a craving or need a motivation boost.

MissBattleaxe Tue 20-Sep-16 14:47:08

Well done!

I would recommend Champix to anyone. I was so afraid that quitting smoking wouldn't stop me wanting one, but I really don't. I even had a glass of wine and didn't want one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now