Anyone quit with Champix?

(35 Posts)
Ellybellyboo Sat 28-May-16 20:09:06

I've quit and started again so many times over the years and this time I'm determined to crack it for good.

I tried gum, patches, etc but they didn't help. I've tried vaping but just didn't get on with it so my Dr has prescribed Champix.

Tomorrow is my stop smoking day, (day 8) but to be honest I don't feel any different to all the times I've felt when I've tried to quit before

I still want a cigarette, still enjoy it

The pill makes me feel quite sick on and off, and I've had some epic dreams, but I feel a bit nervous and not quite ready to stop yet.

It says on the box pick a day between day 8 - 14 so am I being a bit ambitious with day 8?

Any experiences please?

Thanks!

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sat 28-May-16 20:28:31

No experience of champix but if the window for quit day is day 8 - 14 and you don't feel ready yet it makes sense to wait a few more days.

Good luck!

Imnotaslimjim Sat 28-May-16 20:40:07

I did. Been quit for 8 years now

I quit on day 12. I'd chosen day 24 but actually stopped without trying. I just smoked less and less and found I was lighting up through habit.

For the nausea, make sure you have something decent to eat before taking it. And drink plenty of water, the dosage increase lowers your blood pressure

Ellybellyboo Sat 28-May-16 20:46:14

Thanks!

I might give it a couple more days then.

I've been taking the pill with breakfast and dinner. The sickness isn't unbearable and it's not all the time so I've just grinned and bared it.

CrossfireHurricane Sat 28-May-16 20:50:34

I used champix and haven't smoked for nearby 6 years now.
I was due to stop around day 18 and only made it to the 10th.
Had weird dreams on it!!
Good luck -it's the best thing you will ever do flowers

purpleporpoise Sat 28-May-16 21:21:27

I used champix 4 years ago and I haven't smoked since. I've been tempted but I don't trust myself.
Quitting was pretty easy with the, but they cause some mood swings so I stopped taking them and got some niquitin lozenges to suck.

Ellybellyboo Sat 28-May-16 21:38:18

Thanks all!

Well, I've just been outside for a cigarette and I only smoked half of it before I felt a bit sick so put it out.

Maybe I should be a bit more positive

Imnotaslimjim Sun 29-May-16 14:14:53

That's the start of it elly you'll find yourself less and less inclined to smoke over the next couple of days. Good luck

MissBattleaxe Sun 29-May-16 14:19:35

Watching with interest. I've got a pack in the cupboard. I only vape but I'm looking to lose the desire to smoke as I always get tempted when drinking with other smokers.

If you've quite with Champix, do you still get tempted when you've had a drink or has the desire gone?

Ellybellyboo Sun 29-May-16 14:24:09

Thanks!

I've had a couple today and still enjoyed them. It seems to be more in the evenings that I feel sick/don't want to smoke, although I've had less today than I usually would

My downfall always seems to be when drinking too, especially in the summer. I wish I could be one of those social smokers who have the odd cigarette when drinking then leave them alone the rest of the time. I always stupidly give into temptation then before I know it I'm smoking again.

BMW6 Mon 30-May-16 14:38:00

Hi OP. I'm just finishing my 12th week on Champix, had my last cigarette on day 11.
I found I'd stopped getting a "hit" from smoking around day 9, and they started to taste quite unpleasant. I was lucky in that apart from feeling slightly sick once in the early days I had no ill effects (still having Epic dreams!)
I have found that if I have a drink I fancy a cig - not an overwhelming craving just a slight niggle. I wonder how much of that is a psychological link IFSWIM.
I have tried to quit before - cold turkey, patches, gum, vaping..........always cracked after just a few hours, so this is a pretty amazing result. I had been a smoker for 40 years, at least 20 a day.

Quit only when you are really comfortable - if you still aren't ready after 14 days I suggest you talk to the Stop Smoking consultant or your GP to discuss options.

Keep posting how you're doing and good luck!

MangoMoon Mon 30-May-16 15:08:56

Placemarking to follow your progress Elly.

I stopped for nearly 2 years (vaping helped me stop), but started again after a very stressful few months last year - the same old mindset of 'a cigarette will make it all better' (it didn't!) - and now I'm back up to 20 a day again.

Really interested to see how Champix works out for you.
Good luck!

hownowpowpow Wed 01-Jun-16 21:57:19

Hi All. Just came across this thread. How are you getting on? Did you manage to stop. I'm waiting on my prescription to arrive in the post. Hoping to have it by Friday and start on Monday. Really hoping it works as I am sick of smoking.

Ellybellyboo Wed 01-Jun-16 22:00:23

Thanks all.

On Monday I smoked more than I would have liked, but less that Sunday.

Tuesday - back at work. Struggled with this, I have the habit of nipping out for a cigarette to get away from my desk for 5 minutes so found breaking that habit hard so smoked 5 or maybe 6, I can't remember.

Today, I've been more successful. I was brave and left the cigarettes at home this morning. I had one first thing.

I am absolutely desperate for a cigarette though. Am eating my way through a family box of Malteasers (blush).

The craving passes quite quickly, and although I was extremely irrational with DH earlier I don't want to kill any one yet

hownowpowpow Fri 03-Jun-16 08:47:15

Oh. It still sounds pretty hard. In my head I thought the cravings would be gone. Are they a bit easier than the cravings you get going cold turkey? How did yesterday go?

hownowpowpow Fri 03-Jun-16 08:47:41

Oh. It still sounds pretty hard. In my head I thought the cravings would be gone. Are they a bit easier than the cravings you get going cold turkey? How did yesterday go?

hownowpowpow Fri 03-Jun-16 08:48:30

Oops. Sorry for the double post.

Ellybellyboo Fri 03-Jun-16 11:21:17

It's easier.

I've still had cravings but they're bearable and they've not been as bad as when I've tried other ways to give up. They lower your enjoyment of cigarettes too so even if you do slip up, they taste vile, made me feel really sick and you don't get that 'ahhhhhh' feeling

No cigarettes yesterday and none today. About 9am Wednesday morning was the last time I smoked.

The cravings are a lot, lot better today

hownowpowpow Sun 05-Jun-16 16:55:32

Glad to hear it is getting easier. I'm still waiting on my prescription to arrive. Had thought it would be here by now.

Ellybellyboo Mon 06-Jun-16 16:30:17

Good luck how. Hope they arrive soon

Still have a few cravings but haven't cracked.

hownowpowpow Thu 09-Jun-16 07:56:29

Fair play. I'm starting this morning. Aiming to stop Friday week. You still doing ok?

TheNaze73 Thu 09-Jun-16 08:19:20

Sorry to be negative but, hasn't there been negative reports linking it to depression & suicidal thoughts.

Just for the record, reading the Allen Carr book, back to front, 3 times in succession & going cold turkey worked for me.

hownowpowpow Thu 09-Jun-16 11:29:10

I tried Alan Carr before and it didn't work for me. I spoke to my GP about the side effects and the pharmacist when I picked them up yesterday. I'm quite happy that these are very rare side effects. If I do notice anything I will stop them immediately. I think if we worried about the serious but rare side effects of any drug we wouldn't take anything.

Ellybellyboo Sat 11-Jun-16 12:37:30

I tried Alan Carr too several times, and it didn't help.

My doctor went through all the side effects very carefully with me, I was fully aware of the link before they were prescribed so I (and DH) are keeping an eye out.

I don't think they'll prescribe them if you've had issues with depression - a colleague was refused them as he has had problems with his mental health.

Still not smoking, although I did slip up last night and had a sneaky puff (alcohol, dancing, hundreds of people around me smoking) it made me retch and tasted revolting

hownowpowpow Tue 14-Jun-16 09:24:28

You are flying it. Brilliant. I'm on day 6 of champix. Finding I feel a little nauseous after taking the second one but it passes quickly enough. Definitely not enjoying smoking as much. Am enjoying the vivid dreams. No mood swings thank god.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now