Horizon tonight (22/5) E-cigarettes - miracle or menace?

(25 Posts)
PolterGoose Sun 22-May-16 11:46:41

Michael Mosley looks at science of vaping.

I'll be watching.

Destinysdaughter Sun 22-May-16 11:49:29

Cheers for that, I'm a confirmed vaper and to me it's a bloody miracle, tried for years to quit fags, kept failing miserably but now haven't smoked since November! 😈

Which channel is it on please?

PolterGoose Sun 22-May-16 12:08:51

BBC2

Wolfiefan Sun 22-May-16 12:11:55

Interesting. I hear nothing but they are miraculous or dangerous. Never any reasoned middle ground.
I don't smoke. Used to. Know people who vape and would like to be a bit more informed.

magimedi Sun 22-May-16 13:18:48

There was an article by MM in The Times last week all about this (plug for the show).

He certainly is in favour of ecigs.

One interesting thing is that it is reckoned that nicotine on its own (ie with none of the other chemicals present in fags) is reckoned to be far less addictive.

PolterGoose Sun 22-May-16 13:31:54

That's interesting about the addictiveness of nicotine. It certainly feels less addictive when vaping as opposed to smoking. Even though I'm quite happy to 'chain vape' when I can, I don't feel desperate if I'm somewhere I can't vape. I remember getting twitchy if I hadn't had a fag for an hour or so, don't get that at all now.

magimedi Sun 22-May-16 13:37:27

Agree with you, Polter.

A friend of mine, another dedicated vaper, picked up some liquid & didn't realise it was 0% - she used it for 3/4 days before realising & never missed the nicotine.

I've decided to go for 6% not 12% when I next buy some & see.

Destinysdaughter Sun 22-May-16 14:17:12

I agree, I don't get that twitchy feeling anymore. And like how you can 'stealth vape' in toilets on planes, restaurants etc!

Destinysdaughter Sun 22-May-16 22:08:54

Anyone watching?

PolterGoose Sun 22-May-16 22:14:35

Yes. It's interesting so far. Nothing surprising but might help address some of the silly anti-vaping hype.

magimedi Sun 22-May-16 22:14:39

Have recorded it - life got in the way of TV grin

LineyReborn Sun 22-May-16 22:16:38

OH went from 50 a day, through vaping, to 0% nicotine.

SoleBizzz Sun 22-May-16 22:19:25

Ooh the Scientist says ms menthol kills live cells. I only use menthol. Worried

Destinysdaughter Sun 22-May-16 22:21:59

Yes the menthol results were quite surprising! Personally I always hated menthol.

Interesting the comparison with the cold turkey group and the e cig group. 7 out of 8 which is bloody brilliant!

Destinysdaughter Sun 22-May-16 22:23:21

If the NHS REALLY wanted to stop pp smoking fags they should just give pp e cigs. It's so effective. Surely there's no argument about it now?

tethersend Sun 22-May-16 22:29:35

Missed this- can anyone give a précis?

Destinysdaughter Sun 22-May-16 22:31:08

Simply, they're much safer than fags and can help you quit!

Destinysdaughter Sun 22-May-16 22:32:06

I wonder how harmful they are if they have no nicotine in them...?

Stoneagemum Sun 22-May-16 22:35:43

Is going to be on I player/catchup? If so what is it called? Would like to watch.
I've been vaping for 6 months but occasionally under times of stress revert to cigs again as the 'vape' just doesn't cut it

LineyReborn Sun 22-May-16 22:38:47

Stoneage OH had a hypnotherapy session as well and it really helped.

tethersend Sun 22-May-16 22:50:40

That's good; I've just done a month as a non-smoker thanks to vaping!

Destinysdaughter Sun 22-May-16 23:13:30

I actually wish this program had been about long term smokers who have finally managed to quit the fags due to vaping and what a massive success story that is. May have inspired other smokers to switch to vaping. Pp just don't realise how much better it is for you.

PolterGoose Mon 23-May-16 08:13:12

Well done tethers smile

It was good I think, balanced and dispelled some myths.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Tue 24-May-16 20:33:09

I watched this, I thought it was very good. Whenever I see something really good about vaping these days I'm always a bit disappointed that it wasn't made a couple of years ago when it could have made a difference.

I liked how he addressed the relative non-addictiveness of vaping. It would have been good to know what strength he was using and at what power.

I was a bit meh about the menthol results. I think they showed more about the nature of tissue studies than anything else (i.e. that you can get really scary results from something that doesn't cause very much real world harm at all). Nobody bats an eyelid about using vaporub, vick inhalers or airwaves gum. People use vaporub on children!

DH talked over the last couple of minutes, did he mention the TPD at all, and the fact that the tank he was using will now be illegal to sell?

magimedi Tue 24-May-16 21:51:14

I have just watched it.

Very good & very balanced - BUT I was sad to see that 95% of the vaping that was going on was cloud chasing. Shame they didn't show a normal vaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now