Popcorn lung.

(13 Posts)
SoleBizzz Sun 07-Feb-16 12:17:33

I am a vaper. I am starting to notice lots of reports in the news about popcorn lung.

SoleBizzz Sun 07-Feb-16 12:19:28

m.aol.com/article/2015/12/09/study-links-e-cigarettes-to-incurable-disease-called-popcorn-lu/21281029/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

OddBoots Sun 07-Feb-16 12:24:36

There is an NHS article all about it.

It does sound quite worrying but as not all e-cigs contain Diacetyl might be worth sticking to the ones without until there is more research. They are still better than regular cigarettes.

SoleBizzz Sun 07-Feb-16 12:35:27

Thank you Odd Boots.

I have just called the cape shop I use and have been informed that custard flavours and fruit flavours usually contain Dyacetyl. I use a strong menthol and that doesn't have it

Dontneedausername Sun 07-Feb-16 12:49:46

I use a lot of Triphammer:
triphammer.co.uk/faq-2/
Their juices don't contain any and they have a lot of flavours.

SisterMoonshine Sun 07-Feb-16 12:58:31

Oh no. sad
I've been trying to go over to the ecig more - at the moment I'm to-ing and fro-ing a bit. The cleaning lady at my work said about ecigs turning your lungs to honeycomb and it put me off a bit, but I've been trying to ignore it and told myself she doesn't know what she's talking about (compared to all the good stuff I've read online about nicotine being as bad for you as coffee etc).
But this wil be what she was talking about. Oh bum!

Dontneedausername Sun 07-Feb-16 13:08:13

She is talking absolute nonsense!!!
Use a good supplier of liquid, check there is no diacetyl.

MissBattleaxe Sun 07-Feb-16 13:10:23

Popcorn lung gives symptons similar to COPD and much of the research has been disproved.

If you smoke real cigarettes, you are far,far more likely to get COPD.

I reckon popcorn lung is a rumour started by cigarette companies.

PolterGoose Sun 07-Feb-16 13:11:56

There's much more of the compounds which are linked to popcorn lung in tobacco cigarettes than vaping liquids, yet I've never heard of a smoker with popcorn lung.

It's very dodgy science, if you want to read about it from a more informed researcher have a look here at Dr Farsalinos

SisterMoonshine Sun 07-Feb-16 13:17:21

"Dr Farsalinos 2014-09-02 23:41
Many liquids with diacetyl came from vendors who specifically and clearly mentioned in their websites that all products are diacetyl-free.

I wonder how you can be sure of a good supplier.
I've been getting stuff from China.

SoleBizzz Sun 07-Feb-16 13:21:01

I used to use Dekang. Dekang is a Chinese comany. Most vape shops won't sell it and advise customers to avoid it. I wonder if Dekang e liquid contains or did contain Diacetyl..

Dontneedausername Sun 07-Feb-16 17:49:15

This is how I know my eliquid doesn't contain Diacetyl......

for those of u who know us. will know that for the past 10 months we have been gearing up for TPD compliance. from setting up our new state of the art lab. to consulting bio chemists and getting our business audited. to show due diligence and putting protocols in place. all this has cost a pretty penny and has been a major investment for a small company like ourselves. over the years we have had our juices tested and when we worked closely with vape escape they got my juices tested regulary. we will be one of the first of the smaller businesses to submit our juices for TPD compliance. the tests for this are gonna be alot more vigorous and if i thought my juices would bomb. i wouldnt be pushing ahead with it. to be inline with TPD compliance we do not use any company which cannot give us a certificate of analysis to show that there particular ingredients is free of anything that shouldnt be in there. wether its the nic, vg or concentrates flavouring. the proof of the pudding will be within the 12 months when the TPD kicks in fully. as James has said. there is far more diacetyl in stinkies than there will ever be in juice. i personally dont know anyone who got popcorn lung from smoking and i smoked for over 30 years.

BeezerBubble Mon 08-Feb-16 10:41:36

Diacetyl hasn't even been proven to cause popcorn lung in factory workers in the first place. Those with an agenda against ecigs have made a giant leap of logic to then link ecigs with popcorn lung due to the presence of diacetyl in some eliquids, at levels far lower than found in tobacco smoke. This non issue already addressed by new British Standard for vaping products www.bsigroup.com/en-GB/about-bsi/media-centre/press-releases/2015/july/E-cigarettes-guidance-published/#.VrhwL_DfWrV Dekang a huge multi national company, I do not believe for a second vape shops wont carry their stock, in fact all shops in my area carry it. They state no diacetyl in their liquids www.dekangbio.com/company/faq

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now