Quitting today - anyone want to join me?

(44 Posts)
flapinko Mon 01-Feb-16 11:15:31

That's it really. Hoping not to replace with food & gorge myself all day long, but I work from home, and am already finding it hard to stay away from the fridge!

Anyone else in?

RakeMeHomeCountryToads Mon 01-Feb-16 11:26:43

Good luck. I stopped last September and I'm so pleased about it! You can do it smile

RakeMeHomeCountryToads Mon 01-Feb-16 11:27:36

Good luck. I stopped last September and I'm so pleased about it! You can do it smile

Destinysdaughter Mon 01-Feb-16 11:31:51

Good luck! Are you using patches or anything? I vape now so haven't smoked a real cigarette for 3 months!

51howdidthathappen Mon 01-Feb-16 11:34:29

I have just ordered a vape kit, spare battery and months supply of liquid.
I am prepared.

flapinko Mon 01-Feb-16 11:51:23

Thank you Rake & well done!
This will be about my 100th attempt to quit, so really hoping I can stick at it this time. It's the nights out I find hardest. Maybe I need to stop going out..?!
I'm doing Allen Carr, and vaping when I really need to i.e. on aforementioned nights out, but not so much day-to-day.
Good luck 51 - when's your quit day?

RakeMeHomeCountryToads Mon 01-Feb-16 12:29:06

I was so pleased with myself I posted it twice wink

It was about my 100th attempt to quit too. So you can do it, even though you've attemped to many times before.

I am vaping though, but hoping to cut that right down and then stop. I'm just very glad to have stopped real cigarettes.

51howdidthathappen Mon 01-Feb-16 13:20:43

Flap hoping the kit arrives Wednesday or Thursday.
Good luck for today !

Destinysdaughter Tue 02-Feb-16 09:34:15

How are you getting on OP?

flapinko Tue 02-Feb-16 17:14:05

Thanks for the encouragement Rake and luck 51. I've got to believe it can be done. I just hate the cravings that come out of nowhere and totally ambush you. I've just had one, and ARGHH. But am just telling myself these are just the tricks an addicted brain play on you. And they WILL lessen.

Nearly two days done Destinys - nearly outta the zombie phase!

Anyone else out there thinking about quitting? Come and join me!

MoBro Wed 03-Feb-16 13:30:18

Day one for me! Been trying for the last week and a half but smoked quite a few yesterday sad Today I am starting again with lozenges. I've spent my fag money on fruit, veg and smoothies. Hoping for a healthier me.

flapinko Wed 03-Feb-16 17:12:03

Well done Mo, let's do this! Day 3 for me.
I've had a hard day today. Find concentrating at work SO difficult without the cigs, but I got through it, even though it was like pulling teeth.
It's all about getting over those 'firsts' isn't it - the first night out, the first holiday, the first argument, the first tricky work assignment, etc. Gotta keep reminding myself of that.
And ignoring the evil voice in my head saying afterwards "well done, you got through that, now you deserve a reward".
Argh, nicotine addiction is evil isn't it?! I need a name for the evil addict voice in my head. Any thoughts anyone?

MoBro Wed 03-Feb-16 21:02:07

Awesome!! I haven't got passed two consecutive days smoke free yet! I'm eating like a horse though. The lozenges are really helping if I take them at the beginning of a craving or a trigger. I'm so hoping I can get through tomorrow aswell. Are you using nicotine replacements? Why are you quitting?

flapinko Thu 04-Feb-16 13:01:22

Well done Mo. Eating like a horse is still preferable to smoking isn't it?! And me too, if it's any consolation - food is tasting SO GOOD at the moment!

I'm quitting as I'm way too old to smoke now & a few non-smoking, seemingly 'healthy' friends have recently been diagnosed with cancer, which has made wonder why I'm stacking the odds against a cancer-free life on the cigs.

I'm quitting as I don't want my kids to grown thinking smoking's ok. It's not. My DD burst into tears the last time she saw me with a fag in my hand.

I'm quitting as I'm fed up of being controlled by this stinky, expensive, embarrassing habit.

And I'm quitting as I REALLY DO want to be healthier, and be abel to go for a run or do an exercise class without collapsing in a wheezing heap!

How about you? What are your reasons?

MoBro Thu 04-Feb-16 20:20:49

Great reasons! I've been trying to get my husband to cut down as he smokes so many. He made little attempt so I decided to join him. I managed on 3 cigarettes quite comfortably and thought I should just stop altogether. It's so hard though. I more or less decided I would smoke this evening but I've resisted so far!

bakingcupcakes Fri 05-Feb-16 07:14:17

Hi, can I join you? I noticed your post Tuesday but wasn't sure I'd be ready to follow through Wednesday. However, this is the start of day 3. The most I got to is 10, that was last November. How are you getting on?

MoBro Fri 05-Feb-16 09:18:08

Woop! I'm day three today!! My husband offered me a cigarette yesterday and I managed to resist it! Are you using nrt?

bakingcupcakes Fri 05-Feb-16 10:57:44

I've got an e-cig. Tried patches last time but they made me feel rough. I'm doing better vaping. It's the evenings I find really hard, once ds is asleep I spend most of my time on the back step smoking and reading MN. What are the lozenges like? Never tried those.

flapinko Fri 05-Feb-16 14:08:07

Welcome baking - please do join us! and congrats to you on Day 3! And to you too Mo - amazing!!

Day 5 here. Cravings are lessening, but still just as strong when they come unfortunately.

I think it gets harder each time you give up doesn't it? I feel kinda depressed actually, like I have lost a friend or something stupid (REALLY stupid, I know). I know it will pass and this is just a short phase to be endured.

Tonight is my first night out, and it will be a big boozy night, where I don't know many people going, so I think if I make it through that I will feel so proud of myself it will give me a bit of a boost. At the moment, just dreading it! Give me strength!!

And sending LOADS of strength to all of you too this weekend smile

MoBro Fri 05-Feb-16 14:20:28

I'm getting on really well with lozenges. They don't taste amazing but if I take one after lunch or before a trigger. They're really effective for me. I'm really struggling today though

Allergictoironing Fri 05-Feb-16 17:05:44

Flapinko your depression is only to be expected - the combination of chemicals in cigarette smoke act like an anti-depressant so you're having withdrawal from that as well as the nicotine.

There's somewhere in the region of 4000 different substances in tobacco smoke, many of which interact with each other, so your body is undergoing a fair bit of change right now

SoftBlocks Fri 05-Feb-16 17:13:22

Giving up smoking is so worth it. I used to look at the Smoking Benefits Timeline online to keep going.

bakingcupcakes Fri 05-Feb-16 17:25:10

Totally get the loss of a friend thing Flapinko. I feel very similar. I don't particularly want to quit which makes it worse and means I usually fail.

I'm only doing it because everyone thinks I already have and it's not going to be long before ds says otherwise. I don't in the house, only outside in the yard. I don't smoke out of the house either, not in car parks or at work etc. Bizarrely, leaving the house reduces the cravings but I can't be constantly out!

Good luck with the night out. Are you taking anything with you to help with the cravings? Just think, you're so close to a week now - only 2 more days.

How are you getting on Mo?

Just out of interest have you both got rid of all smoking related stuff for quitting or not?

MoBro Fri 05-Feb-16 17:56:03

I smoked 2 cigarettes today, ended up going to bed because the cravings were so bad. My husband smokes a lot so there's lighters and cigarettes out. He's not very encouraging tbh.

LouieLou2013 Fri 05-Feb-16 18:02:19

35 days, 19 hours. Am vaping though. It's still bloody hard. Have not been on a night out yet and had two sneaky ones in work though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now