So what are you planning to do when e-cigs become regulated?

(33 Posts)
U2HasTheEdge Wed 30-Dec-15 11:55:53

My brother was telling me about how it is going to be regulated and how we won't be able to make or buy our juice like we can now. The small amount of juice you can have in a refill container is ridiculous. It is going to completely change how we vape isn't it?

Will you still continue?

PlentyOfPubeGardens Wed 30-Dec-15 12:06:39

I'm hoarding mechanical mods and rebuildables. Also, now we have the new freezer I'm ready to buy a couple of litres of nic each. I'm a bit stuck when it comes to flavours - DH is OK, he likes a big variety, most of which are available as DIY flavours so we can stock up on those. I'm still hooked on Hangsen RY4 mixed with RY6. RY6 isn't available as a flavouring so I'm on the lookout for an alternative. I'm hoping it'll still be possible to import.

I think while the 10ml refill containers will be a total pain, it's the leak-proof tamper-proof tanks that will be the biggest problem.

PolterGoose Wed 30-Dec-15 18:49:28

Slowly stocking up here too, need to do another Fasttech order and get some nicotine in the freezer. Dp is far too oblivious to it all hmm

It'll probably still be easy enough to import hardware, ready made juice will be my biggest worry.

BeezerBubble Wed 30-Dec-15 18:50:37

Doesn't appear so far that imports from outside eu will be affected but to be on safe side we've been stocking up on mods and rebuildables.
The draft refilling guidelines just published, want either 10ml bottles with a 1cm tip smaller than the hole of the tank or a docking system. Plenty of lee way there plus I'll just be decanting small bottles into bigger ones.
May not be as many eliquid vendors or flavours and any that are left will be charging lot more than at present I reckon.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Wed 30-Dec-15 19:59:56

Have you got a link to the draft refilling guidelines Beezer? I haven't seen them yet.

BeezerBubble Wed 30-Dec-15 20:06:07

Here you go nerudia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/20151218_Draft-Act_Technical-standards-for-refill-mechanism.docx , also nonsense about 20 drops per minute when upside down

PlentyOfPubeGardens Wed 30-Dec-15 20:25:12

Well that looks irritating but not insurmountable. It's going to be a PITA decanting loads of tiny bottles into a sensible sized one at 20 drops / minute unless you shock cut off the non-detatchable nozzle. I love 'Whereas: (6)' - here's an idea we've had, if anybody has a better one, please let us know grin

I haven't heard much lately about the tamper-proof requirement, have you?

BeezerBubble Wed 30-Dec-15 21:37:53

No nothing but when they've gone from leak free filling to a bottle with a pointy top I'm not too concerned. Yes to cutting the tops off, got to be done 😀

Allergictoironing Thu 31-Dec-15 10:07:35

I'm pretty sure that with the current bottles I use, if I let it drip gravity fed only then they would feed at about 20 drops per minute. But I just squeeze them?

PlentyOfPubeGardens Thu 31-Dec-15 11:16:12

I'm assuming squeezy bottles will be banned.

It's bloody ludicrous isn't it? 20 drops / minute is more than 2 seconds per drop. How many drops to fill a 2ml tank?

ginmakesitallok Thu 31-Dec-15 11:21:46

Remind me, what strength of nic will be available? I need to get some more soon, so will buy as much as I can! Will pg still be available?

member Thu 31-Dec-15 11:26:04

Oh lord, this is the first I've heard about this - when's it happening? My cape of choice is 18mg gold and silver.

member Thu 31-Dec-15 11:26:26

*vape

BeezerBubble Thu 31-Dec-15 11:45:01

May 2016 is when it's due - www.clivebates.com/?p=1747#Art20 , 20 mg/ml is highest allowed.

ginmakesitallok Thu 31-Dec-15 12:16:09

If we can still get unflavoured nic juice I should be just about ok to mix 12%. It's the new vapers who will suffer as they usually start off with higher nic, and will have to use pre mix.

PolterGoose Thu 31-Dec-15 12:19:30

I can't see how PG, VG and flavourings could be restricted, stockpiling some nicotine which freezes fine should be all that's needed.

ginmakesitallok Thu 31-Dec-15 17:49:03

Where are you getting your nic from these days polter?

PolterGoose Thu 31-Dec-15 17:53:02

I'm new to mixing gin but bought my first lot from Make my Vape.

BeezerBubble Thu 31-Dec-15 17:59:35

Only issue for diy is the nic although no surprise TPD doesn't address this. No way nic @ 7.2% would be allowed in litres if 1.8% restricted to 10ml. Could be wholesale allowed for licencees tho, loopholes possible.

member Thu 31-Dec-15 18:01:14

Thanks Beezer

PlentyOfPubeGardens Thu 07-Jan-16 20:54:16

I'm half-way through putting in a mahoosive FT order and I have a question. I'm tempted by regulated box mods with removable batteries like this but I'm wondering how long I can reasonably expect the electronics to continue working and whether I would be better just focusing on mechanical mods for the long term. Does anybody know? I have a Vamo V5 that's been lurking in a drawer for 2 years and still works so I'm sort of hopeful.

BeezerBubble Fri 08-Jan-16 12:33:50

No idea really Plenty , it's buttons, screens and threads that go on mine. Just keeping everything for a rainy day. Bound to be a thriving cottage industry in repairs.
As it happens government response to TPD consultation just published www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/489981/TPD_Cons_Gov_Response.pdf , looks like the bare minimum of TPD requirements so not as bad as it could've been. Waiting for more knowledgeable folk than me to pick the bones out of it.

magimedi Fri 08-Jan-16 14:29:12

When you have the time, Plenty would you consider starting a thread with some links to kit that will be OK post regulation?

I'd like some recommendations & I suspect it's something that will be asked a lot over the coming months.

BeezerBubble Fri 08-Jan-16 16:44:50

magimedi Initial scrutiny seems to suggest only cigalikes, tanks and eliquid(containing nic) subject to TPD regs. Everything else notification only so mods, batteries, wire etc. will be fine. Complete kits will regulated. Subject to change of course but appears very light touch so far.
Only thing so far on market kitwise that might be allowed is the vuse docking thing from r j reynolds.

BeezerBubble Fri 08-Jan-16 16:53:20

In fact strike that, only kits, cigalikes, tanks and eliquid c/w nic needs notification, all else free and clear. So far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now