Started Vaping, feel terrible

(22 Posts)
verystressedmum Thu 08-Oct-15 23:43:10

I started Vaping on Tuesday, so 2 days ago, and from the moment I started I have felt more and more ill!

I've been so tired I've been on the sofa practically all day yesterday and today while the kids have been at school which is totally unheard of for me. I also feel sick so I don't actually vape a lot as I can't face it. When I do take a puff I get a bit of a headache and my head feels funny. I've also got blocked ears or earache I can't figure out what it is.

I'm using 24% nicotine, just tobacco flavour. I'm sure it's not too strong as I'm not actually Vaping very much (I smoked 20-25 a day proper cigarettes).
Maybe it's nicotine withdrawal as I'm probably not getting as much I did before?
Or could it be a reaction to the liquid? I really hope not as I really want to carry on and I haven't smoked in over 2 days.

Thanks

OddSocksHighHeels Thu 08-Oct-15 23:59:30

The first e-cig I tried had me feeling sick and gave me a terrible cough. It was awful! And I was also a heavy smoker of full strength fags. I tried a different one and had no problems at all. I don't know what the difference is but there was something there.

Which type are yo trying at the minute?

OrangePeels Fri 09-Oct-15 00:04:40

That is quite strong for the amount you smoked. Try 16mg instead and perhaps try the non liquid ones such as VIP? You can buy the 10 motives in sainsburys which are really similar just to try before you shell out on VIP. They come in a green packet and are disposable.
I smoked about the same and started on 16mg which was perfect for me.

verystressedmum Fri 09-Oct-15 00:11:58

Thanks for the replies.
I'm not sure what you mean by what type am I trying OddSocks, but I have an eleaf mini istick and am using a liquid called the butler which seems to be made by the shop I bought it from. It doesn't have the amounts of PG and VG, I was reading somewhere that there may be a problem with PG?
Although you maybe right orangepeels it's too strong even though I don't think I'm Vaping a lot I may be taking in more than I think. I'll go to the shop tomorrow and get a lower nicotine one. I've ordered some from LiQuid which should come soon but I think I need to try something else soon as I can't stick feeling like this. I've been asleep for 2 days I can hardly keep my eyes open!

verystressedmum Fri 09-Oct-15 00:13:35

I will look at non liquid VIP and see what they are. Thanks.

OddSocksHighHeels Fri 09-Oct-15 00:15:15

Sorry I just meant which brand not which type. I smoked a similar amount to you and use 16mg so that may be the problem but I found the first one I had was awful, as I said, and this one is fine. It's 10 motives that I'm using at the minute.

biscuitkumquat Fri 09-Oct-15 00:18:46

I use FlavourVapour, and smoked about the same as you, but 24mg seems awful high.

I use 11mg, and it's fine for me.

If you can persevere it's well worth it.

I liked smoking, I genuinely did, but I haven't had a ciggy for 2 years now.

verystressedmum Fri 09-Oct-15 00:24:21

It may just be too strong for me. I'm definitely going to go to the shop and get a lower strength and see how that goes. I'm just going to keep trying different things until I find something that doesn't make me sick!

PlentyOfPubeGardens Fri 09-Oct-15 08:10:13

Some of what you're experiencing could also be withdrawal from smoking, especially the tiredness. You're still getting nicotine from vaping but there are other things in tobacco smoke that are thought to increase the addiction, most notably MAOI's which work as antidepressants. Also your body is working hard to heal itself and get rid of all the crap.

It does sound like 24mg is too high strength as well. Over the last year or so, vaping kit has become much higher powered and better suited to lower strength liquid. If you are using an istick I would say start at 18 or even 12 (you can get two strengths and mix them to get something inbetween). As an emergency solution until you can get to the shop, try turning the power down. This should help but you will get less vapour.

Massive congratulations on 2 days smoke free, that's fantastic flowers

verystressedmum Fri 09-Oct-15 09:31:29

Thanks Plenty smile I can't believe I'm into my third day of not smoking, it's the longest I've gone without cigarettes for years and years and it's been so easy. Too easy in fact, I keep thinking something is going to hit me soon!

I feel a bit better today so I'm wondering if it's a combination of withdrawal and getting used to the vape. I do think the nicotine is too high, I've turned the istick down to the lowest number (voltage?) which is better but I like a bit of a throat hit so I'm going to get a much lower one, maybe 12, and keep the 24% for the mornings as that's when I crave (and smoke) the most.

I keep thinking that I'm still smoking and haven't actually given up, although I know I'm not smoking cigarettes it feels like I'm still smoking...I can't get it into my head that it's not smoking...if that makes sense!!

scatterthenuns Fri 09-Oct-15 09:35:27

Quality of eliquid changes things for me. The better quality, the easier the vape.

Withdrawal is definitely effecting you. You've been getting a bunch of chemicals, and are now only getting the nicotine.

Persist! It is worth it. I've been vaping for a year and I feel fantastic.

Keeptrudging Fri 09-Oct-15 09:38:34

Try the fruit/sweet flavour type liquids instead? I didn't get on at all with the tobacco ones, the taste wasn't nice.

verystressedmum Fri 09-Oct-15 09:48:01

I'm definitely going to persist. Feeling a bit ill has to be better than smoking all those chemicals. And maybe if I feel ill I'll just stop everything and be smoke and vape free grin

verystressedmum Fri 09-Oct-15 09:49:58

I am going to try a flavoured one with a lower nicotine percentage.
Do I buy lots of tanks to use with the different flavours?

verystressedmum Fri 09-Oct-15 15:23:43

I bought some 12 and 18 and I still feel the same, even on the 12. I may not agree with the liquids or maybe PG?
I'm so annoyed, trying to stop smoking and Vaping makes me ill! How on earth can I feel so well inhaling a million deadly chemicals in cigarettes but a bit of vape and I feel like crap!!
I may try PG free to see if it is better does anyone know where's the best place to get it from?

Also if I keep going will it get better, will I get used to it?

PolterGoose Fri 09-Oct-15 22:09:45

I felt really ill when I first vaped, which I was pretty sure was the PG so re-started with full VG juice, was absolutely fine and over time I've been able to move to 50/50 juice.

Most small juice firms will make up a high VG mix if you ask, I've just ordered from 'Deluxe Vapours' who have made up juice to my specification. But most juice makers use flavourings which are PG based so even a high VG won't be completely PG free.

If you want absolutely no PG try TrueVape or PureVape

Destinysdaughter Sun 22-Nov-15 23:23:28

Please what's PG and VG?

7Days Sun 22-Nov-15 23:43:22

I don't know much about it, but pg gives you a strong throat hit, and vg is smoother and produces lots of vapour, also more expensive. Healthwise I don't know the difference. Lots of cheaper juices are 70% pg 30% vg, though it is changing now with better equipment and you often find good juice at 50/50 or even lower

Allergictoironing Mon 23-Nov-15 08:46:21

Destinysdaughter PG is propylene glycol, VG is vegetable glycerine; these make up the liquid base that the nicotine & flavourings are added to. Both are used extensively in the food and drugs industries, and to date there has been no indications of harm to health for either.

Different makes of e-juice contain these in differing proportions - according to manufacturing cost, taste, the complexity of kit they are designed to be used with, and general personal taste. A few people can be intolerant to PG in larger proportions and as 7Days says above they have different vapour and throat hit properties.

Destinysdaughter Mon 23-Nov-15 08:55:12

Thanks! Gosh there's so much to learn about vaping isn't there?

Allergictoironing Mon 23-Nov-15 10:57:22

Well yes and no; depending on the individual person the needed info can be pretty basic. At a minimum as a method of NRT you need to know roughly what each bit of kit does & what nicotine level is suitable for you plus basic safety stuff (like using the correct charger).

However the more "into" vaping you get, and the more you want to enjoy it as opposed to purely using it as NRT, the more you get to learn. Upgrading kit gives a better experience, as does finding the perfect liquid, and these tend to cost more. It's sort of like the difference between basic ready meals and learning how to cook well, or between cheap sliced bread or artisan baking - many are happy to get by on the basic thing but others like to improve their experience by going that extra mile smile

ellaowenmummy Sun 10-Jan-16 12:25:41

As a heavy ex smoker I am on 12mg tried 18mg far too strong I think 24mg is too strong for you myself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now