Tobacco Products Directive - Vaping is under threat - Here's what you can do ...

(40 Posts)

One great thing about having this new topic is that I can post this once and then just bump it occasionally smile

So, I thought I'd put a post together about what's happening in Europe and what we can do about it ...

Where we're at now: The EU has now voted in favour of adopting the Tobacco Products Directive, including Article 18a (now renamed Article 20) which concerns ecigs. You can read the full text of Article 20 here. This legislation is likely to come into force in May of this year and member states will have up to 30 months to comply (but they don't have to wait that long!)

- No device on the market today could comply with this legislation except cig-alikes with disposable cartridges - the sort produced by big tobacco and big pharma.

- No e-liquid over 20mg/ml will be legal (18mg/ml in practice to allow for a margin of error) - an estimated one quarter of vapers use liquid above this strength and are likely to return to smoking if they cannot get it.

- The requirement for all new devices to be approved six months before coming to market will kill innovation in the EU. Currently it is usual to see new versions of products released every few weeks.

- The notification regime will be too expensive for small companies to comply with. 98% of the market is made up of SMEs. Meanwhile, big tobacco and pharma will have no problem absorbing the costs.

- Restrictions on sponsorship will mean it becomes very difficult for forums, youtube channels and other sources of information to survive.

What we can do: A European Citizen's Initiative has been launched by European Free Vaping Initiative. 'The European citizens' initiative allows one million EU citizens to participate directly in the development of EU policies, by calling on the European Commission to make a legislative proposal.'

This is not just another petition. Numerous hurdles have already been cleared to set it up and secure the necessary representatives in countries across the EU. The initiative now needs 1 million 'statements of support' (basically signatures) by 25th November and for at least 7 member states to meet their 'quota' - a set number of signatures based on population.

If the required number of signatures is reached, it means that vapers themselves will have the opportunity to present their case to the EU and propose sensible legislation for ecigs to replace article 20 of the TPD.

Who should sign:

- vapers
- smokers, because you might want to try switching one day
- friends and family of vapers
- friends and family of smokers
- people who don't like being around smokers or who worry about SHS
- people who care about harm reduction and saving lives

How to sign:

- Go here - www.efvi.eu/
- Scroll down to the big green rectangle and click it
- Fill in your info on the EU site

You will be asked to provide your full name, address and DOB. This is because this is not just another petition, it's an official EU process - they need to check you are a genuine EU citizen.

Please also ask your families, friends, colleagues etc. to sign and share on FB, Twitter or whatever else you do online.

Allergictoironing Thu 24-Apr-14 19:40:49

Could we get this one stickied at the top do you think?

Dunno, I'm a bit scared to ask in case MNHQ decide it should be relegated to the petitions topic.

Shonajay Fri 25-Apr-14 08:03:05

Signed.

Shonajay Fri 25-Apr-14 08:04:44

My husband says I'm being paranoid which is entirely possible, but the government are losing millions of,revenue as smoking reduces.

And I'm waiting for when they start taxing it.

incogKNEEto Fri 25-Apr-14 09:31:26

Signed.

MarieSchrader Fri 25-Apr-14 18:23:34

Bump. I saw someone buying cigalikes at the chemist earlier. Fourteen pounds! shock

tibbysmum Fri 25-Apr-14 19:09:56

signed

Thanks for signing folks flowers

(and a quiet bimp)

Shonajay Mon 28-Apr-14 16:02:27

Article in the mail today saying that they're not encouraging people to smoke, it's the opposite (of course). I can't help thinking the government are going to be rather miffed about their taxes though...

YesJesseARobot Wed 30-Apr-14 14:38:16

There is an interesting situation at my local hospital according to someone I know who works there.

Vaping is allowed on the wards and grounds wrt staff and patients but now the smokers are up in arms saying that they should be allowed to do the same confused

Talk about counter-productive.

You'd think that would be a good incentive for the smokers to switch.

It's good to hear a hospital having a sensible policy. Lots of them are being really daft and treating it the same as smoking.

YesJesseARobot Wed 30-Apr-14 20:45:25

I agree. Shooting themselves in the foot.

Ooh, get me, talking about the smokers grin

tibbysmum Thu 01-May-14 12:52:10

My partner works in a University. You can only vape in the smoking shelters!!

That is the sort of arrangement that I would kick up a right stink over, tibby. It's one thing having to go outside, quite another being made to stand with the smokers - why should vapers be subject to SHS any more than any other non-smoker?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a legal challenge to somewhere imposing those rules soon, especially as a couple of cig-alike manufacturers are planning to get medicinal licenses - they would be forcing people to stand with smokers to use a medicinal device.

tibbysmum Thu 01-May-14 20:44:59

We were just discussing this. Can you imagine if you had to stand there to wear your nicotine patch etc?!
I think he's going to have a dig around as to who made the rules and on what premise. And hopefully get such a stupid rule reversed. In other news I've just read that vaping has been banned in NYC madness

This might be useful, it's by ASH UK so quite respectable smile

Signed.

tibbysmum Thu 01-May-14 21:05:50

Thanks!

bimpety bimp smile

MistressDeeCee Thu 08-May-14 22:37:47

Ive just signed, I hope it does some good or I'll be stockpiling e-juice like mad. I also hope everybody on threads sign. Vaping banned in NYC?! Wow, who are tobacco companies,the Maffia?!

Allergictoironing Thu 08-May-14 22:40:04

More likely the Big Pharma companies Mistress - most of the major cigarette makers are now branching out into at least cigalike e-cigs, and some are even doing tank systems, so vaping being banned wouldn't be to their advantage. Pharmaceutical companies who make medically licensed NRTs on the other hand......

Haven't bumped this for a while. Don't forget to ask family, friends, colleagues etc. to sign smile

FlockOfTwats Sat 17-May-14 23:45:49

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a legal challenge to somewhere imposing those rules soon, especially as a couple of cig-alike manufacturers are planning to get medicinal licenses - they would be forcing people to stand with smokers to use a medicinal device.

Me and my other half said pretty much this, He goes in the smoking shelter sometimes at work, mainly so he has people to chat to, But were then wondering how legal it would be if an employer tried to force him too, due to the known health risks from second hand smoke.

bimpety bomp because it's been nearly a month and there are new vapers around smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now