Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

General chat for vaping vipers.

(1000 Posts)
magimedi Thu 24-Apr-14 12:00:12

Hooray to getting our own space (within giving up smoking).

flowers & wine (gin) to MNHQ for giving us this space.

I'm hoping some of our most knowledgeable vapers are going to start threads about specific aspects of vaping.

<glares at *Allergic & Plenty>

Yes, willy waving free zone here smile My BiL has been on cig alikes for over a year now and is doing fine on them. Lots of them are actually 'hackable' - if you can prise off the plug in the mouthpiece with a paper clip you can refill with your choice of liquid and save loads of money. I posted a video on the clearomiser thread.

magimedi Thu 24-Apr-14 22:32:11

No willys waving here!

You can also prise off the top of a cig alike with the tine of a fork!

So lovely to see everyone piling in here.

NO question is too silly - just post & we will all help if we can.

Shonajay Fri 25-Apr-14 09:39:16

My daughter is 20 and she's always liked hanging around with smokers. I was thinking there's a bit of truth to this- look how kind we all are to each other here!

And Lora we need pictures! I'm waiting for a new one today as well

member Fri 25-Apr-14 10:00:34

Morning! Approaching 70 hours without fags, defo think the worst of giving up fags/starting vaping symptoms over - that's not to say I'm craving free though.

Dh is going to start - a vaping shop in another town has a stall at our market tomorrow which is where I got my kit. He could have borrowed my spare but I want him to go down & try different flavours as I think he has less of a need for the dirty fag taste(he sucks a mint while smoking!).

Planning treat purchases with money saved is motivating!

Dwerf Fri 25-Apr-14 16:10:55

He might like menthol then, Member, or there are plenty of minty flavours.

i'm currently vaping cherry coke, which is very nice, and a rum/coconut/pineapple one, which is okay but not what i expected.

Raia Sat 26-Apr-14 16:57:19

Today I was standing outside vaping with the smokers behind the bike sheds and I was really disconcerted by the fact I loved the smell of their smoke. I didn't have one, and I'm quite determined not to smoke again but it knocked me a bit off balance that I didn't find the smell rank as others have said they do after giving up. Is this normal? I've been off the stinkies for nearly six weeks so I suppose it's still not long is it. confused

I still find the smell of fresh smoke as it's coming off someone's fag quite pleasant. The smell that comes off someone who has just come in from having a fag is quite different though and I find that really foul.

Raia Sat 26-Apr-14 17:05:41

Agreed, the smell of stale smoke lingering on someone is gross. I used to find that smell horrible on myself before I stopped. It was the fresh smoke that was so alluring! I couldn't tempt any of them to sample my piña colada juice grin

What were you doing out with the smokers? Was that through choice or were you banished?

magimedi Sat 26-Apr-14 17:15:05

I really loathe the smell of even fresh smoke, but I always loathed the smell of 'tailor mades' as a roll up smoker.

Raia Sat 26-Apr-14 17:46:49

Oh it was by choice, I wasn't banished! I like to go outside with my smoking buddies at break time. We rehearse on Saturdays in a school building and although I will happily have a stealth vape in the loos I don't think vaping openly indoors would be seen as acceptable. But to be fair I haven't asked about this so it's just an assumption.

ilovesooty Sat 26-Apr-14 18:03:42

If I wanted to vape at work I'd have to go out with the smokers. Ecigs are banned in the buildings.

Dwerf Sat 26-Apr-14 18:11:58

i stealth vaped in wetherspoons the other week, 10 ft from the bar. Ha! And in the theatre (wasnt the only one actually, I could see the light of someone elses several rows down), it was a school performance though, so half empty and we were the highest up.

Cigarette smoke doesn't bother me, mind you, I've not completely given up myself. What surprised me was how fast the nicotine stains returned on my fingers with rollies.

Raia Sat 26-Apr-14 18:51:17

Dwerf, I used to get the dreaded yellow fingers too (also a rollie smoker) - that's something I definitely don't miss!

I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to vape in work or not. Last year one of the volunteers got told off by the boss for vaping indoors but when I told her recently I'd switched to vaping she said 'you can do that indoors, you know' confused She's not the most stable of people so I don't want to push it - she could change her mind on a whim.

As it goes, I quite like going out with the smokers. Partly for the chat and partly because I work in MH which has massively high smoking rates so I think it's good to normalise vaping with the people we work with.

I like to vape indoors in the pub and wouldn't go back to somewhere that banned it. The only time I'd kick up a stink is if I was made to not only stand outside but in a designated smoking area.

One of the things I really missed in the early days of not smoking was sniffing my fingers between fags blush I must have got a mini nicotine hit from it.

MsWazowski Sat 26-Apr-14 23:41:05

I've been off the fags and vaping for 9 weeks now! I bloody loved smoking, can't believe it! Thanks to being ill a couple of weeks ago I've managed to reduce my nicotine strength to about 3mg by mixing 6 and 0mg liquids.

For the first time in about 25 years I really don't want to smoke cigarettes ever again. Even if I end up vaping 0% nicotine for the rest of my life (which I won't) I'm never going back. I've even taken up running shuffling around the estate FGS grin

Vaping is the best thing to happen to smokers!

Lora1982 Sun 27-Apr-14 00:53:57

Ooh I had two rollies tonight. In my defence it was only two in neay two weeks and I vaped the rest of the night. We had a bbq and j had a feelkng that as soon as the smoker arrived kd ask for one... and I did

MaggieMcGill Sun 27-Apr-14 06:10:28

Ms Well done you smile what flavour are you using? I've tried a few times to cut down to 6mg but it just feels like I'm vaping fresh air. It's frustrating because I have a good selection of 6mg liquid just waiting to be used but it's all crap.

Lora don't beat yourself up about two rollies, we all have blips.

Yay well done MsWazowski flowers

Lora, 2 roll-ups is no biggie, how many have you not smoked since you started vaping?

Maggie, you could get some higher strength in the same flavours and mix them, or are you still hoping to cut down to 6mg in the near future?

magimedi Sun 27-Apr-14 19:56:50

6mg never worked for me - sad

I've bought some 18 & mixed them to get 12 (what a mathemitician I am!) to use them up.

MsWazowski Sun 27-Apr-14 20:04:03

Maggie, I'm using RY4 from a market stall. I think it's an 80:20 PG:VG ratio, which might help. Actually I think it might be a bit strong as it seems to make me cough sometimes. The flavour is a bit nondescript really, just a bit sweet but it's doing the job and keeping the cravings away.

I really can't wait to be free of nicotine, but it was a fluke really that I've managed to cut down this far. I had a stomach bug and couldn't face vaping for about 4 days, when I felt better it seemed wrong to go straight back onto 12mg. I did an emergency dash to the market and the only flavour they had in both strengths was RY4. That was about 10 days ago.

I've just ordered some gingerbread in both strengths to make it a bit more interesting.

Thanks for the flowers Plenty smile

ilovesooty Sun 27-Apr-14 21:44:39

I had a cold last week and I'm convinced I got rid of it a lot faster as I don't smoke any more. It's the first one I've had for months and like the last one (only other one I've had since taking up vaping last year) it didn't go to my chest. Another reason never to smoke again.

magimedi Mon 28-Apr-14 08:21:28

And 700,000 are now ex-smokers! Brilliant, isn't it? grin I wonder how that compares with NHS stop smoking services over the same timescale (their actual success rates, not the four week figure they publish).

I have been very much heartened recently by the change in the way the media covers vaping. Since the proposed Welsh ban, coverage has been a lot more sensible and measured generally. It's great that ASH have changed their stance, I think that is making a big difference, along with things like the Royal College of Physicians new guidance.

This thread is not accepting new messages.