How do you...

(2 Posts)
1ofthosedays Mon 27-Jun-16 04:58:45

How do you 'break up' with your SC?
Me and my now ex have broken up. What do I do about SC? Do I see her and say goodbye? She has been such a big part of my life, refers to me as a parent and includes my family when asked about who's in her family.
She is 4, I have been in her life for over 2 years and have spent almost every other weekend with her for the majority of that time.

chocoraisin Mon 27-Jun-16 21:59:49

I don't know. But I'm dreading my children imminently realising they will not be seeing their SM again. They are around the same age and she's been in their lives for 3+ years. It's a big deal, it will affect their sense of who they can trust and whether they feel safe. I expect to see anxiety, confusion and a lot of upset when they understand she's gone.

If you can, my advice would be to find a way to stay in her life for a while. Pop round for a few months, phase yourself out. Don't just jump ship and never see her again. She will cope better if it's a gradual shift in circumstances, rather than a sudden one.

I realise it's not always possible though, or I'd be encouraging that myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now