Going on a break when it's dsd's birthday.

(14 Posts)
3CheekyLittleMonkeys Thu 21-May-15 15:00:03

Every year my dad pays for us to take the kids away in May/June and October on a Haven holiday. We've just come home this week and my dad has offered to pay for us to go away again in October. Usually we have booked it during term time, but this time as DS1 starts school in September we will need to book it for the half term. That all sounds simple doesn't it?

Trouble is, it's dsd's birthday during that week. I thought it would be a nice way to spend her birthday this year, but DP said she will be having a big party because it's her 10th birthday and plus her mum and his family will want to see her. So I thought ok fair enough, but it would be such a shame for them to miss a holiday just for one day, especially when they won't have much involvement in it and dsd will obviously care more about playing with her friends the same age as her.

If dsd was my own, the family would just have to suck up not seeing her but I accept that her mum will want to see her so it's a little bit different.

DP can stay at home by all means so that he can see his DD on her birthday and be there at the party, but I'm thinking of booking it and having a week of fun with my boys. They will be a bit older by then.

Plus it means I don't have to spend the day with the in laws which I dread the thought of, especially when it comes to dsd.

Aibu?

SurlyCue Thu 21-May-15 15:10:09

I dont think YABU, has someone said you are? My mum often took dsis and I on mini breaks without my dad as he would be working and otherwise we wouldnt have gotten away. Would DP mind you going without him?

yellowdaisies Thu 21-May-15 15:13:15

When's her birthday? Can't it be celebrated at the weekend? Isn't that when most people would be free to come?

Is it possible for her to come for most of the week and your DP to take her home to spend her birthday with the rest of her family at the end of the week? Or arrive a day or two late?

DuelingFanjo Thu 21-May-15 15:15:01

Why not go down and DP follow later, or DP leave to go to the party?

3CheekyLittleMonkeys Thu 21-May-15 15:15:53

No nobody has told me I'm unreasonable, but I know the in laws will and I just wanted to get some outside opinions before they start saying how terrible the idea is without thinking about the logic behind it.

yellowdaisies Thu 21-May-15 15:17:19

Is is a Saturday to Saturday booking? If so, why not celebrate her birthday on the Sunday after you get back?

3CheekyLittleMonkeys Thu 21-May-15 15:30:10

Yeah I think it would be a good idea DP and dsd going home for the party. Her birthday is on the 28th October and because it is half term that week (in this area anyway) they are thinking of doing the party on the day. But of course it could end up being at the weekend either before or after her birthday.

3CheekyLittleMonkeys Thu 21-May-15 15:32:52

Either a Saturday to Saturday or Monday to Friday one. Her birthday will fall on Wednesday whilst away.

Whereisegg Thu 21-May-15 15:52:25

Is there a holiday park close to where DSD lives?

3CheekyLittleMonkeys Thu 21-May-15 15:55:13

Yeah where we're going is only 45 minutes away. Dsd's mum lives about 5 minutes away from us.

yellowdaisies Thu 21-May-15 15:57:30

Why don't you all go then, and DP can take DSD home for the day to have a birthday party if the rest of her family think that's important to do? You'll have a nice quiet day (!) with just your own DC at the holiday park, and they can come back in time for bed. Or first thing on the Thursday?

Sanityseeker75 Thu 21-May-15 16:13:20

Has mom actually booked party? Has anyone asked her she may not mind we took kids abroad last year - was DSS's 10th bday - asked mom before and she was fine with it she just celebrated when he got home - I know its a double figures bday and all that if mine had choice between being away or seeing family they would pick away anytime

AGirlCalledBoB Mon 25-May-15 11:25:53

Really we would have chosen the party. My mum really went all out when it was double figures. It was one of the few years we did have a party. So I am not surprised her mum wants her home, that's fair enough.

Her dad obviously needs to be there, but you could do something like a little tea party for you and the boys another day. I know they are her brothers but in all honestly she will probably be more interested in her mates than her baby brothers. There are a good couple of years between them.

FeelTheNoise Thu 28-May-15 20:35:54

Why not arrange to pick her up on the Thursday for another birthday celebration?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now