AIBU to be livid SS has eaten ALL the crisps? AGAIN?

(92 Posts)
SinisterBuggyMonth Wed 25-Jun-14 18:09:10

Posting here because AIBU will just turn this into a step issue.

Got 6 bag today. Had 1 packet and considered hiding the rest (I already have to hide the biscuits), and went out to see my Dad (I am his carer).

Get back 4 hours later and they are ALL gone. DP has had one. Ss says he just had one. Then I find empty packets hidden upstairs.

There are 4 people in this family. I'm fed up with him just devouring whole packets of biscuits without a thought for anyone else in the family. This happens all the time and DP does fuck all.

Plus all the fucking bourbons are gone!

I know I sound a bit unhinged but having a bit of a vent here.

Anyway, atleast I don't have to diet now

gamerchick Wed 25-Jun-14 18:11:59

Pretty normal in a house of kids I would say. I put them in the meter cupboard so they're not 'there' when you open kitchen cupboards.

SinisterBuggyMonth Wed 25-Jun-14 18:15:36

I'll put them in the dishwasher. No one else knows it exists grin

SureFootedWhispher Wed 25-Jun-14 18:17:30

Don't buy anymore till next week.

Fillybuster Wed 25-Jun-14 18:23:49

YWBVU not to hide the crisps before you went out, with a teen in the house grin

Vent away...but start hiding all snacks. Meter cupboard, dishwasher, under the bed, attic and coat cupboard are all fairly safe bets ime smile

SinisterBuggyMonth Wed 25-Jun-14 18:24:01

I'm gonna ask DP for the money

SinisterBuggyMonth Wed 25-Jun-14 18:26:09

Thing is I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have occurred to me to do this as a teen. Or I would have bought them myself. But I grew up in very different circumstances than SS.

hesterton Wed 25-Jun-14 18:27:26

It's bad behaviour and he does need calling on it.

GreenShadow Wed 25-Jun-14 18:38:58

Actually no it's not normal behaviour in a house with children in it.
If SS is old enough to be able to find and take the crisps, he is old enough to know not to take them.
I wouldn't be accepting this behaviour and DH needs to back you.

SinisterBuggyMonth Wed 25-Jun-14 18:43:06

DP has just made a joke about it and SS went off in a sulk

Ridiculous really

bigTillyMint Wed 25-Jun-14 18:48:25

How old is he? My teens are always starving!

He needs to know what and how much he is allowed to take so that everyone else can have some too if they want, but if he is genuinely hungry then you need to have some substantial snacks (mine love peanut butter on toast) ready when he gets in!

MexicanSpringtime Wed 25-Jun-14 18:49:58

I honestly could never resist cake and biscuits, got into loads of trouble at home for that and I only resist them nowadays because I no longer like them.

earlyriser Wed 25-Jun-14 18:50:42

I've heard this advice for younger children, but it may work here too. Give stepson a box with enough treats to last a week. He decides how much he has, and when, but once they are gone that is it until the next week. Fine him if he uses up all his and then starts on yours. Or have a box for you and dp too.

earlyriser Wed 25-Jun-14 18:51:44

Padlock yours if necessary grin

Itsfab Wed 25-Jun-14 18:57:35

No, the OP does not need to have substantial snacks ready when the SS gets in. He can make his own peanut butter on toast! hmm.

bloodyteenagers Wed 25-Jun-14 19:07:58

I must be really mean.
If my teens eat all the snacks, ie 6 bags of crisps. Not only do they have none the following week, but they also loose pocket money as well. It has happened twice. Yes they are hungry, however this doesn't give them a free license to not only be selfish but greedy pigs. They are not the only person in the house, there are others and when snacks are bought they are for everyone. There's always stuff for them to eat. Make a sandwich, eat some fruit. You cannot be bothered, well you cannot really be hungry.

And as teens, if they were incapable of making their own peanut butter and toast, I would have to have serious words with myself and ask wtf went wrong that they are incapable of doing this.

The problem is not you have a teen or children in the house. the issue is that you have a greedy, selfish one. Huge difference.

purpleroses Wed 25-Jun-14 19:26:29

I'd be pissed off about that too. Ours are allowed fruit or bread with peanut butter if they're hungry. Not crisps or anything else from the cupboard. They have taken things on occasion but if we know which one did it they'd be told clearly not to do so again. I suspect DSD2 does take food sometimes as she's clever and sneaky and would hide the evidence. My DS on the other hand always gets caught as he doesn't even put the rubbish in the bin. Your DSS isn't going to stop though unless his dad tells him to.

BuzzLightbulb Wed 25-Jun-14 19:56:46

Biscuits would be untouched in our house.

Chocolate on the other hand is apparently fair game. Any and all and it doesn't matter if it was a present to one if the dsc's, one of them will eat it given a chance.

DSS Easter egg apparently ate itself.

brdgrl Wed 25-Jun-14 20:39:31

Like earlyriser suggests - I buy a "week's worth" amount of the snacks the DSC prefer, and when they are gone, they're gone.

I have taken to keeping my own special treats hidden away (which annoys me to have to do). I got fed up with it. I've stopped getting as many treats in, too - they just went through them too fast and then expected more of the same. So they've kinda shot themselves in the foot.

In their favour, for the most part, the older kids are good about not taking things that belong to/are meant for DD.

Tappergirl Wed 25-Jun-14 21:39:30

Brdgrl, I do the same as you, exactly the same. Once they are gone, they are gone. Same applies to butter, which seems to disappear the minute it appears.

WanttogotoDisney Wed 25-Jun-14 21:43:54

Big deal. They're crisps. Either don't buy them or buy extra if it gives you a rage when someone eats them.

Or is this really about who eats them?

brdgrl Wed 25-Jun-14 21:45:51

I would love to do it with cheese, but DH would go out and get more because its not a 'snack'. I just cringe when I put a full cereal bowl of grated cheese on the table (expected by DH and DSC as garnish on almost everything) and halfway through the meal DSS is up getting more out of the fridge as it has all been used. This plus the generous use of it in toasties, on pasta, etc at lunch means that we go through two huge blocks of cheese every week. It might sound petty, but we have been struggling for ages now to reduce the chopping bills, and I see things like this which are such obvious 'tweaks' we could make.

brdgrl Wed 25-Jun-14 21:46:12

shopping, not chopping.

Itsfab Wed 25-Jun-14 21:50:44

Say no to them or buy one block, brdgrl.

Tappergirl Wed 25-Jun-14 21:53:00

Disney, it is a big deal, because in a year or so, these mega food machines will have to learn what everything costs, and the snack fairy doesn't just come round every couple of days to replenish stocks. Better to limit now and make them wait, rather than be Santa Claus every day or so. When they look in their fridge or food cupboard one day on a student loan, they will appreciate how lucky they were to have it all on tap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now