Who rules on what? (games-console)

(7 Posts)
Norland Mon 16-Dec-13 09:54:51

Hello all

I have two teenage step-sons. Both like their screen time, be it TV/Phone/X-Box/PS/laptop

I'm of the opinion that an hour a day Sunday-Thursday is enough games-console time but the boys, are of the opinion that sleeping is a pain 'cos it gets in the way of gaming time. Both do their homework and have good school reports.

Their mother agrees with me that they probably spend too long on screens but isn't prepared to enforce it.

Anybody willing to share a story as to their own experiences in this area?

purpleroses Mon 16-Dec-13 10:19:46

It's a major source of friction in our household. DP used to notionally have a 1 hour rule, but didn't enforce it and in reality both his boys spent anything up to 10 hours or more on computers each day over the weekend. I have a similar aged DS too and didn't want him to do the same when we moved in. We compromised on much longer times allowed - at fixed times of day, which we find easier to enforce. So Sunday mornings, and Saturdays after 4pm are gaming times. It's easier than having endless arguments with kids about how long they've been on for already. They still moan about it though, especially my older DSS (15) who describes it as "rediculous computer rules" that nobody could seriously think is fair....

Kaluki Tue 17-Dec-13 11:39:19

I enforce an hour a day from Monday to Friday but relax it at weekends but they are never allowed more than an hour in one go. So maybe an hour of gaming then it is switched off for an hour while they do something else.
My DC get headaches if they are on the games for too long so I remind them of this constantly when they start moaning!!!

Norland Tue 17-Dec-13 12:20:09

Thank you for your responses; I'll try another chat when we're all at supper tonight.

theredhen Tue 17-Dec-13 12:45:51

My dsc and ds are expected to come off computers at 8pm on week nights, do any chores and get ready for bed. They are also expected to do their homework prior to this.

The reality is that they will all sit on the Internet/games on their phones / the iPad if a console ban was put in place. Screens are everywhere when you have a houseful of kids!

I know I would be stricter if I was I my own just with ds but trying to enforce a ban on screen time for 4 or 5 kids just wouldn't work.

However if my ds doesn't do chores or homework or behaves badly, I have no qualms in taking controllers away for a day and insisting on charging his phone downstairs.

There are two issues for me, the first being the "step" situation and knowing dp wouldn't implement downtime and stick with it. The second is that the kids are 17, 16, 15, 14 and 10. All but the youngest should be able to prioritise their time and will certainly have to do so if and when they go to Uni.

Personally, I think an hour a day is not very much. I probably spend longer on here! grin

Kaluki Tue 17-Dec-13 12:48:13

But Redhen its "do as I say not as I do!!" grin

IThoughtThat Tue 17-Dec-13 22:55:14

What age are the 'teens'?

I'd say an hour a day during the week is ok but I would allow longer at the weekends. I would set it up so that you have parental controls on the game counsel ( Eg, HERE are XBox Parental controls ) or as part of your home network ( eg, HERE are details of BTs Parental controls ).
You can set things up so that their time online is restricted however you want. This means you don't have to nag them or monitor what they are doing.

Here is more info on other internet providers parental controls

You can also use programs such as Bitdefender

As you can see there are lots of options. grin. The worst thing to do is manually time them as you will end up arguing with them when you ask them to stop playing when they are right in the middle of a crucial battle or level. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now