I want to go on a trip for longer than two weeks at a time but I don't think DSD's mum would agree

(12 Posts)
Peacesword Fri 13-Dec-13 08:50:03

I'd agree to my dd going. I'd miss her but I would also jump at the chance to have a week or more somewhere hot with my boyfriend!

Why doesn't he just ask her? You can't really make any plans until he does.

mumandboys123 Thu 12-Dec-13 19:47:41

are you intending to go during school time? that would be the deal breaker for me. I wouldn't agree during term time but you might get me to be supportive if it's over the summer.

IThoughtThat Thu 12-Dec-13 14:38:29

How old is DSD?
I would let her go if I was her DM. As already suggested I think asking well in advance and offering 'extra' time at Christmas or Birthday or whatever may help.

MsColour Thu 12-Dec-13 13:00:22

I wouldn't want my kids away from me for more than a week. But for a once in lifetime experience like that I could be persuaded. Have a discussion with her about it!

UC Thu 12-Dec-13 10:07:30

I'd let my DCs go in those circumstances if I was asked. It may not be unreasonable for DSD's mum not to want to be separated from her for more than 2 weeks, but IMO, it is unreasonable for her to let her missing her DD make her DD miss out on other opportunities. Like this. Just my opinion. Before anyone asks, I am both a mum and a step mum.

Your DP needs to talk to his ex. If she says no, then do as others have suggested.

purpleroses Thu 12-Dec-13 08:45:12

I'd go on ahead for some time with family and then have your DH bring DSD over. It would probably be lovely having some time with just you and your family and the new baby.

PrincessScrumpy Wed 11-Dec-13 23:41:20

It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for dsd so maybe her mum will agree, maybe she could have her dd for more time over Christmas to balance it out or something but until your dh talks to her he won't know. If she finds out from dsd then I imagine she will be annoyed and more likely to dig her heels in so just talk to her!

What Mintberry says really

mintberry Wed 11-Dec-13 23:37:43

Maybe your DH could talk to his ex about it? Either:

-She says yes to her going
-She says no but would be happy to have her daughter to herself for a more extended period of time and you and DH can have an adults holiday
-She says no, you go alone and your DH brings her along for part of the trip, then takes her back.

MerylStrop Wed 11-Dec-13 23:24:30

You go out first. Stay with family.
DH comes with DSD after week/10 days/fortnight
Problem solved

(PS not unreasonable for DSD's mother not to want to be separated from her for more than 2 weeks)

Mutley77 Wed 11-Dec-13 23:21:33

If mum doesn't agree either go without dsd or get your Dh to bring her back earlier while you stay longer?

TheGhostOfPortoPast Wed 11-Dec-13 23:04:11

Um, ask?

MatryoshkaDoll Wed 11-Dec-13 22:55:48

I really want to go and visit family in Australia next year once STBDD arrives.

Whenever I talk about it with DP it's always with DSD coming in mind. But then the trip is limited to a fortnight because DP doesn't think her mum will agree to us taking her away for longer.

If we're going that far I would like to go for at least three weeks (DP's work will allow for this). What, if any, solution can be found?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now