bonus mums and step mums

(5 Posts)
flowerpotgirl12 Sun 10-Nov-13 12:08:54

hi all, just a question of what is the difference between a bonus mum and step mum ?

needaholidaynow Sun 10-Nov-13 12:43:58

Oh I really don't know. I think it's just people's different ways of viewing someone's role in a child's life. I don't like the term bonus mum to be honest. I think it puts too much pressure in the stepmum.

I don't call myself either of them in RL. I'd NEVER refer to myself as a "bonus mum" anyway! I never used to call my mum's partner my stepdad and I never thought of myself as his stepdaughter. He was my mum's partner and I was his partner's daughter. On here I refer to my partner's daughter as DSD as its easier to type, but in real life we never call each other stepdaughter and stepmum, so on passing a friend in the street for example, I would introduce DsD as my partner's daughter.

flowerpotgirl12 Sun 10-Nov-13 13:04:16

I'm the same with my dsc in rl but I'm not married to dp and only been in kids life for 1.5 years. so I refer to them as partners children. However I do call my stepmum that in rl but she's been in my life for 21 years

needaholidaynow Sun 10-Nov-13 13:31:45

That's understandable flowerpot. Everyone has their own preferences. smile I'm happy playing a friend role in DSD's life and I hope I can keep it that way for years to come, rather than a motherly role.

Kyrptonite Sun 10-Nov-13 13:50:35

I say I'm DSDs step mum as her mum walked out when she was 4 months old and it was me and DP doing night feeds, immunisations, nursery visits whilst her mum did one afternoon a week if she felt like it.
DSD returned to her mum age 3 but I still refer to her as my stepdaughter because that's what she is. Her mum doesn't like it but after what we went through I don't give a shit tbh (there's a lot of history here). I did everything a mum does for DSD and still do. Just because I didn't give birth to her I don't like the idea of being relegated to dads girlfriend. DSD can refer to me however she likes btw and I don't let her know of my feelings towards her mum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now