What do your step children call you?

(12 Posts)
fairy1303 Tue 24-Sep-13 12:27:21

DSD lives with us.

Up until now she has just called me my first name.

Since DS was born she has asked me what to call me. She feels that as he will have a special name for me (mummy), she would like one too, but doesn't want to call me mummy as she does see her mum.

She is 8. We have been trying to think but my name doesn't lend itself to being shortened etc... So far she has come up with mad hatter or princess cupcake!! Not sure how easy they will roll off the tongue!

Any suggestions?

Emilyeggs Tue 24-Sep-13 13:05:45

That's so sweet! How about something similar like mimi or meemar (I called my mum meemar when I was a baby apparently,)

Yonihadtoask Tue 24-Sep-13 13:07:04

mine call me by name - but are older.

I had a step father from being 7 yo - but always called him by his name.

However I also call my biological father by his name.

?

Not helping much am I?

needaholidaynow Tue 24-Sep-13 14:57:32

I get called by my first name. I personally wouldn't want to be called anything else.

I have a resident DSD, about the same age! When DD2 was born she started calling me Mummy, at first just when talking to DD2 about me, and then all the time.

I think the dynamic changes when they are resident, because they don't want to feel 'left out' of the mother/child dynamic in their main home.

When talking to her Mum about me, she calls me Dharma, when we are talking about her Mum we both call her 'Mummy (Name). It works for DSD but I am aware it's a contentious issue on here!

In the end it was her choice and we just went with it.

Fooso Tue 24-Sep-13 15:59:09

mine call me "SMUM"... as in stepmum

fairy1303 Tue 24-Sep-13 16:10:32

I really like Meemar. My name does begin with M too so that might work. I'll put it to the panel! She has come up with mousy but is unsure.

Not sure she would go for 'Smum' - she has a hang up with names that are close to mum.

purpleroses Tue 24-Sep-13 17:02:41

By my name always when they're talking to me. They occasionally refer to me as mum if they are talking with my own DCs. Their own DM is always 'mummy' so there's no real confusion.

It's a bit different if she lives with you I guess. My DD does have one friend who always calls both her stepdad (who she lives with) and her real dad (who she visits sometimes) 'dad' and no one seems to have a problem with it. Just like most kids call both their grannies 'granny'. She just calls them by name instead if for some reason she needs to distinguish which one she's talking about.

riverboat Tue 24-Sep-13 18:03:24

DSS normally calls me an abbreviated version of my name (because that's what DP calls me too).

He does also sometimes use though a different nickname, which no-one calls me but him. I really like it when he calls me this, because it feels kind of special, but he doesn't do it consistently, maybe because it's a bit long.

It came about when he was learning to read, tried to read my name and became convinced that I had been pronouncing it wrong all my life (in fact he was getting confused between Ws and Xs). He insisted on calling me this weird pronunciation of my name for a while, then he realised his mistake but it had already kind of stuck by then!

Could you maybe find a unique nickname based on your first name that you suggest she calls you?

tywysogesgymraeg Tue 24-Sep-13 18:08:48

Mam? (Welsh)

WaitMonkey Tue 24-Sep-13 19:59:13

I vote Memarr. It's sweet and to the point. Good luck in finding something.

Emilyeggs Wed 25-Sep-13 10:23:10

My mum told me it was because I got mummy backwards, blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now