I've asked MNHQ...

(454 Posts)
ChinaCupsandSaucers Thu 25-Jul-13 17:02:10

.....if we can have a little 'note' at the top of the Stepparenting board, with a list of acronyms that cause offence - to ensure that posters get support and threads aren't sidetracked by inadvertent use of common phrases that are less welcome here on MN;

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/1811572-Board-notes

bluebell8782 Tue 30-Jul-13 17:07:30

Yes brdgrl I also picked up on that step-'mum' bollocks as well. I might not be my SD's mum by birth but I certainly do parent her and I love her like I would my own - I'm not ashamed of the term.

Her mum is very much on the scene. My presence takes nothing away from her mum's role and I don't interfere. Her mum dislikes me purely because I exist - there's nothing I can do about that - this is just how it is in some blended families and she will just have to live with it.

I am a step-mum and proud grin

bluebell8782 Tue 30-Jul-13 17:26:25

Just to be clear though - I don't actually want to be my SD's mum. I'm just proud of her and how she affects my life.

ChinaCupsandSaucers Tue 30-Jul-13 17:49:41

Maybe a polite statement that you didn't like it would suffice instead of such strong terms such as 'vile' etc.. the thread will only go downhill from there and completely detract from the help and support the poster needed

Unfortunately, it's clear that there are some posters who seek to do just that and look for opportunities (such as inadvertant use of a term considered offensive) to derail threads - particularly here on the Stepparenting board, for all the reasons explained by Wednesday Martin in her book!
There are other posters (who have explained themselves previously on this thread) who are so offended by the term that they are unable to exercise restraint and cannot help but respond in a hostile and aggressive way to use of the term - they are unable to make a polite statement, or accept an apology from the OP.

bluebell8782 Wed 31-Jul-13 09:15:13

Well yes - I guess if someone is having a bad day the SP threads seem to be an easy target for someone wishing to release their venom even if it is unrelated to the topic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now