Another father's day question

(7 Posts)
Alwayscheerful Fri 14-Jun-13 08:30:23

As your dd is nearly one why not let your DSS choose a presen and send it from both of them. The men will all enjoy lunch but a small gift would be appreciated. You seem to be doing a great job.

Rightsaiddeb Fri 14-Jun-13 07:16:59

Unfortunately dss mum always made dsc ignore their dads birthday, Father's Day, Xmas...
It was me that did the heavy prompting as dsd was already 13 and then would grudgingly come up with something (coupons....).
Dh has just had the best Father's Day ever (celebrated early because of contact week being up). I asked dss 12 if he had a present and when he said he had again forgotten I took him shopping. We had a great time together buying a small gift (favorite dvd) and helped him later to decorate a card.
Both of them really appreciated my "guidance" on this one. Finally it was ok for dss to show love and appreciation. My ds wished him a happy Father's Day too, btw. smile

Stepmooster Thu 13-Jun-13 21:00:03

Thanks Onestep, I will ask DSS what he thinks his dad will like. DH is so excited about father's day so a present is definitely in order!

I still get dss father day, christmas and birthday stuff, hes 16 grin, but at 11 I would ask dss what he wants to get him, or make him.

dotcomlovenest Thu 13-Jun-13 18:18:10

I would say if his mum was not taking care of it, it would be nice for you to do that, for both dss and dad.

exoticfruits Thu 13-Jun-13 13:51:36

I think you can just do it however you want. Ask DSS what he wants to do and if he wants any help.

Stepmooster Thu 13-Jun-13 13:33:59

DSS aged 11 is with us this Sunday, he hasn't got DH a card so I asked DSS last night if he wanted me to buy one for him and he said yes. So I have done. Do I need to buy DH a present from DSS as well? We are all going for a massive father's day lunch with both sets of grandfathers so I want to get this right and not make DSS or myself look silly. I have absolutely no idea on this matter. I have no hidden agenda I just want to know what is normal, and make sure I get it right for the future in respect of DSS and DD (who is not yet one so it's her first father's day). It's also the first father's day DSS has been with us since I've been in DSS' life. I would normally ask DH about these things, can't really do that this time though.

Also when are children old enough to take on the responsibility of buying their own presents and cards? I never got pocket money as a kid, my parents never did special occassions, birthdays, christmases etc But DSS gets a lot of pocket money (well to me it seems a lot) and no doubt DD will get pocket money too. Should the kids be buying these things out of their own money? I HAVE NO IDEA!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now