Fahers Day- Should I organise gift for my partner? Advice please!!

(29 Posts)
usedtobe Tue 11-Jun-13 14:17:49

long story short: fathers day is approaching and Im not sure how to handle it. Son lives with me and my BF moved in with us in January.
I don’t want BF to be freaked out by fathers day gift/card but want his efforts to be acknowledged. Ill just add we are very serious about each other too and will be starting family together in few years.

I was thinking of 'thank you for being there for me' card but my sister and friend advised me not to do anything at all as he is not Dad. Ex (the Dad) is around too and has little one every other weekend.

Any advice welcome!!!!

Chesntoots Wed 12-Jun-13 21:47:14

I used to get my step dad a fathers day card but I was an older teen when my mum and him got together.

I was really lucky because even though my mum hated my dad with a passion, he and my step dad got on well. My step dad never tried to take over and my dad appreciated the things he did to help me.

I was very lucky.

Your son may want to get a card in the future. In the meantime why don't you get your partner something nice just to show him you appreciate him? I think that would be nice.

allnewtaketwo Thu 13-Jun-13 06:24:42

"if he is becoming like a father to your son then can't see the harm in it"

Pumpkin it's not possible for he DP to become the child's "father". The closest I can think of is if the actual father was dead and the DP adopts the child. But the father is very much alive. I can just imagine how it would go down on mumsnet if someone suggested a new girlfriend was a child's "mother"

Tuckshop Thu 13-Jun-13 08:36:56

It's a bit late for that conversation pumpkin! He's living with them so is going to be in a significant adult/supporting role by default.

dotcomlovenest Thu 13-Jun-13 18:02:21

I always get the kids fathers day pressies. Mostly from charity shops but he appreciates the effort and at the end of the day it is for the kids not him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now