Cycling fans - anyone else fed up of the tradition of 'podium girls' in tour prize giving

(4 Posts)
clutterqueen Sun 15-Sep-13 22:09:15

Every year I watch the Tour, Vuelta etc and sadly even the Tour of Britain and bore myself and DH by railing against the pathetic and ancient tradition of having two female models stand by the stage winners etc to kiss them on their cheeks. Is anyone else fed up with this horribly objectifying tradition that does nothing for the progression of women's sport nor feminism in general? Why not have a local sports person or notable person of worth to do the honours, it would make each stage different and be an interesting thing to achieve for the locals. Enough's enough this year. Who's with me to lobby the race directors (starting with Tour of Britain) and get this stupid tradition changed for the sake of us all??

ivykaty44 Fri 27-Sep-13 20:21:41

MIke Bennet is the directors and he is very keen on sorting out the woman's racing. I was at a dinner in February when he was the speaker and it was mentioned about the woman's racing as the next big thing as they can't expand the tour of Britains for the men at all.

It would be good to push for it to be stopped to show that britain leads the way.

Have you got his email address?

clutterqueen Sun 03-Nov-13 17:03:41

Hi ivykaty, sorry I have not checked back on this for a while. No, I don't have his address. Do you? Sounds like you are well connected!

KouignAmann Wed 08-Jan-14 22:26:23

I totally agree with you and would be happy to campaign against this outdated nonsense. I was distressed to see that the women's Tour of Britain being planned for this year is intending having Podium Boys to provide male eye candy for the female winners to make it equal!!
<<bangs head on table>>
Don't they understand two wrongs don't make a right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now