ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

La Vuelta (Tour of Spain) and The Tour of Britain

(274 Posts)
Pan Thu 22-Aug-13 19:13:27

Taking a leaf out of my new biking hero Sylvan Chavanel, it seemed a good idea to lead from the front.grin
Vuelta starts this Saturday, and many of the usual suspects will be in there. The course looks quite climby, so Team Sky have opted for their Columbian rider Sergio Henoa Montoya as leader, tho' an old warrior will be the sprint king.
Useful links are:
A course guide
and
The Start List by Team
As far as I can tell, Eurosport are carrying live action and ITV4 are showing highlights, tho I think that may well be from the action the day before.
The Tour of Britain starts the day the Vuelta ends, 15th September.

Sooo, if you like most things in lycra and whizzing along a road, this is the place for you. As NicholasTeacozy reckons, it's like chess on hundreds of wheels. If you're intrigued but don't know your peloton from your domestique, drop in and someone will no doubt help out.

Pan Sat 24-Aug-13 18:29:32

It's pretty camp isn't it?

BearPear Sat 24-Aug-13 18:32:48

I thought I saw Cav in my local Sainsburys this morning. I may have stared at him a bit too closely, just to check!

LostInWales Sat 24-Aug-13 19:31:09

Cav, oh my wink and may I also say Cancellara, oh yes. <there may or may not have been some early wine in the Lost household>

Pan Sat 24-Aug-13 20:03:28

Well that was fast and tricky and lots of casualties!

Pan Sun 25-Aug-13 16:09:22

oh and we're off again! In and out in the sunshine today. Yay!

LostInWales Sun 25-Aug-13 16:14:57

Chicken in the oven and a nice glass of cold fizzy water today so more concentrating on the riding than the thighs grin

Pan Sun 25-Aug-13 16:19:56

I'm hoping that 'Henoa' will be pronounced " There he goes!"

Pan Sun 25-Aug-13 16:35:16

escapados - love it.

LostInWales Sun 25-Aug-13 16:40:24

grin

LostInWales Sun 25-Aug-13 16:54:39

Well if we can't pronounce Henao after today we have failed! Do you think they will start pushing one of their other good climbers as their GC contender instead if he carries on like this? Need to get off the computer and concentrate, hows Uran been going?

Pan Sun 25-Aug-13 17:22:45

it's tricky isn't it? I think Uran came in ahead of Henoa, but as we know there's lots of shuffling about in the early stages. With them being so young and relatively inexperienced isn't it likely that the Sky Team are throwing quite a lot at the wall and seeing what sticks? Esp with lots of riding in the Pyrennes and a bit of a giant waiting for them in Andalucia.
Bit of a concern for EB-H though. Neither days have been kind to him.

Pan Sun 25-Aug-13 17:23:27

AND..we have a few of our own escapados missing...

LostInWales Sun 25-Aug-13 17:32:08

I know, do you think people have actually going outside instead of watching cycling shock.

I can't believe EB-H is back in the saddle doing a grand tour, I think I have seen two broken scapulas in my career and they both came with a good bit of bruising to the lungs because it takes a big blow to break that bone. Reading Charlie Wegelius' book there is so much pressure to be well and fit and not miss a race that they just go all out when it really doesn't seem sensible to a 'normal' person!

I was surprised that they put Henao ahead of Uran in the team but I suppose you are right, they've had a big success this year and have some great riders for the future they can use this race to test out some of the younger ones.

Pan Mon 26-Aug-13 17:31:48

Busy day. Highlights for me.

badguider Mon 26-Aug-13 18:27:22

I always thought Uran was better than Henao anyway?

Having said that, Henao must be ill or injured surely.

Will be watching the highlights today so my comment is about yesterday btw.

NicholasTeakozy Mon 26-Aug-13 21:15:27

Great finish to a strange stage. Strange as in the route, I don't think narrow laned bridges are the future for mass cycle racing. They can't be safe. Cancellara did a good thing slowing the peloton down.

badguider Mon 26-Aug-13 21:24:35

I really like Cancellara grin

DH said tonight that he 'likes the way he pushes his mastery of the English language to breaking point' smile

DramaAlpaca Mon 26-Aug-13 22:03:23

There you are - I found you! I knew there must be a Vuelta thread somewhere grin.

How are my fellow cycling mad people? Hope you're enjoying the coverage so far. Back at work so can't watch live, but will catch up in the evenings.

DH very excited about Nico Roche's win yesterday. Best win of his career - his dad may have won the Tour de France, but he never won a stage at the Vuelta.

Suspect that Uran isn't leading Sky team because he's leaving to join Omega Pharma next season. Good to see E B-H back so soon after his collarbone disaster in the Tour. I've a bit of a soft spot for him grin.

Did anyone see any of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge? Froomie very disappointing, and pulled out at the beginning of the stage yesterday.

Pan Mon 26-Aug-13 23:17:31

Ah so the MN peloton picks up another escapado! Greetings DA.

Well that was like a bull fight, with the riders as the bulls. Wind, crash, narrowness, motorbikes, loose saddles, undulating course, riders looking round for their mates, attacks and counter attacks.

Yes, Uran was in at 10. Henao might lose his position?

Vattenfall is in Hamburg, which is a busy beautiful city, with lakes in the centre.

That narrowed bridge was madness - I wonder who thought of that? As NicholasTeakozy said - well done Fabian for slowing it all down at that point. Iirc, the commentators said that end of the line of cones wasn't guarded at all - no chap with a whistle and a flag to tell the riders it was there - so they are lucky there wasn't an accident there too.

And is it me, or do the people who are setting out the courses this year really, really not like cyclists? Uphill finishes almost every day in the Vuelta, twice up the nastiest mountain finish in the Tour, plus many other examples. I have a mental picture of them all in a bunker, cackling manically, whilst they take another grand tour peloton up a vertical climb.

LostInWales Tue 27-Aug-13 19:15:28

Well this does NOT look like fun today!

YY Cancellara is absolutely fabulous, his mangling of the English language on twitter is brilliant and I could watch him speed downhill all day, proper cycling royalty IMHO.

Pan Tue 27-Aug-13 19:37:22

They may be paying my wages, but the work demands my employers are putting on me are compromising my Vuelta-watching habits. And this tour looks like the most intriguing one.
Highlights for me. Again.
Yes, SDT that's how I see the course directors.
So I was having a beer with Bradders the other night, as we do up in the North-West, and he was saying he's going to wait to see how Le Tour for next year is planned, and IF it's one for the dieselers he'll make a bid for Sky's alpha male spot. History is on his side...

LostInWales Tue 27-Aug-13 19:56:59

Wha..... <sorry, recovers composure> Yeah, cool, sounds like a sensible plan wink

Commissars making an odd hash of the 'spot the gap' competition, not very consistent so far.

badguider Tue 27-Aug-13 20:21:13

today's gap was DEFINITELY smaller than yesterdays confused

LostInWales Tue 27-Aug-13 20:45:06

That's exactly what I thought, smacks of a little manipulation to make things more interesting to me, a bit unnecessary as it's been a fascinating race so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now