Horse riding

(7 Posts)
Mummyoftheyear Tue 20-Aug-13 21:53:53

Tack room, I mean. Thank you all for your pointers and info. Better forewarned. ;)

Mummyoftheyear Tue 20-Aug-13 21:53:05

Wooooah
I'll hunt down track thread
Cost is off putting. ;(

Costypop Tue 20-Aug-13 13:59:31

Very expensive. About £20-30 for an hours joint lesson, you may find a riding school that does it cheaper but the standard of horse welfare will be pretty low. You then talking jodpurs £30, jodpur boots any where upwards of £30. Hat £60 must get one with a kite mark safety standard. Body protector £60+ again. Then if she does get into horses and most do, she will beg you for a pony, which you buy that will set you back £1500 at least for a good one, then you talking £400+ a month on keeping it, livery, food, vets bills, insurance, rugs (£70 each properly need at least 3 of different types), riding lessons (please don't stop these if you buy a pony) shoes, hay, tack, (your talking £500 for a saddle) bedding and then all the cute pink things that they "need" too. But the worst is the time spent them, you need to do them twice a day every day, 30-1hr in the mornings, again in the evenings then an hour plus for actual riding.

But it's a great "hobby" lifestyle choice, they do take over your life, and you do get a massive amount of love and fun from them too, but go into it with your eyes wide open.

Oh and don't buy a second hand riding hat or body protector, you don't know if they have had a fall in which case there safety foam will have been burst and therefore useless

TweenageAngst Tue 20-Aug-13 13:48:31

I would repost this in the tack room section.
It is an expensive hobby.

Wilding Tue 20-Aug-13 13:48:26

Very! grin It's worth it though. You may want to post in The Tack Room- lots of lovely horsey people over there who can answer any questions smile

TweenageAngst Tue 20-Aug-13 13:47:57

I would repost this in the tack room section.
It is an expensive hobby.

Mummyoftheyear Tue 20-Aug-13 13:43:00

I've never done it and am so not into horses. But my daughter loves animals and I'm sure would love it. How expensive a hobby is it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now