Tennis

(4 Posts)
buildingmycorestrength Thu 25-Jul-13 21:18:39

My son (8) is getting very keen on tennis. He's never been this keen on anything that involves leaving the house.

I want to support him so have signed him up for some summer tennis day camps and it is a pleasure to see how much he loves it.

But I'm a bit scared of the teen is world. It seems like some people just have SO MUCH MONEY to give their kids endless private coaching. Please remind me that it is possible to just...enjoy it and see where it goes.

Torrorosso Wed 14-Aug-13 22:50:18

Of course it's possible. However, if he shows promise, coaching and travel to tournaments and squads is very expensive unless he's one of the few who are spotted and given funding.

But it's very possible just to play at a local club, become quite good and just enjoy it - it's a fun, sociable sport you can play almost all your life - why don't you try it too?

MrsBottesini Wed 14-Aug-13 23:25:00

just find out what lessons there are at the local tennis club. my dd does this and loves it. she's been playing for a couple of years. She needs a moderately decent bat racquet and not much else. Other family members (happen to) have membership there too so several of us turn up for a knock about sometimes. It's fun. But not essential. Not necessarily expensive, or at least no worse than other sports. ds2 and footy cost us far more because of the level he plays at wink

buildingmycorestrength Sun 22-Sep-13 15:49:02

Just to say he is totally hooked on it, and we are fitting in what seems sensible to us. So a week long summer camp, couple of private lessons, moved him to the local lawn tennis club and he's having weekly group lessons there and will do tournaments and half term camps.

Literally can't fit any more in for now, so will see how we go. He is so happy doing lots of tennis, it lifts my heart!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now