Please note: This topic is for discussions about sponsored events Mumsnet are recruiting for. It's not the place for promoting other events. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss hosting an event with Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

Feedback thread for the Flash-Febreze Fragrance event days in London, Birmingham, Manchester & Bristol Spring 2010

(53 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Mar-10 12:50:15

Thank you for attending the Flash-Febreze Fragrance event day. We really hope you had a good time, enjoyed making your own fragrance and have been using the Flash-Febreze products you received in your goody bags.

Below are the questions Flash-Febreze would like you to answer - please post responses below. Of course if you have any other comments or views on the products feel free to make them here too!

Many thanks
MNHQ

1. After using Flash with Febreze, would you say your home smelt and felt fresh as well as looked clean?

2. Did you notice a fresher smell for longer after using Flash with Febreze, compared to other similar cleaning products you may have used before?

3. What were the main difference(s) between your usual cleaner and Flash with Febreze? (eg smell, finish etc)

4. If you don't like cleaning, would you say using Flash with Febreze makes it a slightly more bearable task?

5. After using new Flash with Febreze do you think you would use this product again?

6. What are your thoughts on Steve's talk around the "science" of smell and CleanTherapy? Did you find the talk interesting and informative? What was the main thing you learnt?

1. The clean-washing scent has definitely been detectable for a couple of days after the mops. I can smell it in the cupboard where the mop hangs, and also in the bathroom after I flush the mop-water down the loo. BTW, I don't use scented washing powder (but ecover), so this scent is actually unknown to my house.

2. The smell lingered longer. (Longer than anything but Cif on the floor, although Cif was a pain to clean off the floor, so won't be doing that again). There may have been slightly less foaming/frothing with the Flash/Febreze, which meant it was less of a hassle wiping down the floor after the first mop over (to get rid of the cleaner so it didn't dry in smudges).

3. Duration of scent, colour.

4. Not sure.

5. I am not sure I am going to use the multipurpose cleaner, as I prefer Dettol for counter surfaces, particularly in the kitchen. Perhaps that bottle will have to migrate to the bathroom. As for the floor, I shall finish this bottle, and will think about another, but, to be honest, I am more likely to recommend it than to use it myself. That sounds perverse until I say that I normally use ecover floorwash (and various other ecover cleaning products), because of the water quality issue (of effectively pouring these things down the drain). Dettol for counters is an exception, but that is because of the antibacterial properties, which are pretty crucial in a kitchen, especially one with a small child. Yet I wouldn't mind recommending it to others, because many people are suspicious of my ecover wash, and are just not up for it! If that is the case, I don't see why I shouldn't recommend a cleaning product (Flash/Febreze) which seemed quite nice.

6. I thought the talk was brilliant. Steve was very interesting, understood well what would interest outsiders (though was slightly let down by tech issues and acoustics), and did have an answer to a question about why and how air fresheners worked. The fact that he picked up on a comment about Patrick Suskind's "Perfume" also underlined his commitment to the job (if he reads about it, too....)

Evenstar Mon 22-Mar-10 14:40:21

1. After using Flash with Febreze, would you say your home smelt and felt fresh as well as looked clean?

The smell was really lovely, I used it just before a house viewing on Saturday and it gave me confidence that it smelt really good and looked clean

2. Did you notice a fresher smell for longer after using Flash with Febreze, compared to other similar cleaning products you may have used before?

I can still smell the fragrance in the bathrooms and cloakroom, it is really long lasting

3. What were the main difference(s) between your usual cleaner and Flash with Febreze? (eg smell, finish etc)
The smell was really subtle and fresh, the house smelt clean and pleasant rather than of chemicals, and the length of time that the smell has stayed.

4. If you don't like cleaning, would you say using Flash with Febreze makes it a slightly more bearable task?

I don't dislike cleaning, but like many other people have limited time for it, the spray was easy to wipe and seemed to take more dirt with it than my regular products

5. After using new Flash with Febreze do you think you would use this product again?

For sure and I would recommend it to others as well

6. What are your thoughts on Steve's talk around the "science" of smell and CleanTherapy? Did you find the talk interesting and informative? What was the main thing you learnt?

It was a most interesting talk, and the thing I learnt is that natural fragrances are enhanced by artificial ingredients which was unexpected, when making the perfume I was surprised how the perfume lacked depth without the artificial ingredients which actually smelt unpleasant on their own. It was also interesting to hear about the science behind odour release technology.

I would just like to add my thanks for a most enjoyable morning, it was something really different.

MisSalLaneous Mon 22-Mar-10 14:42:08

* Yes

* Yes, definitely. I liked the "clean" smell it left. This was noticeable to others too, for example my dh entered the kitchen and commented.

* Positive: Smell is stronger - I usually use Dettol which, whilst cleaning power is similar, doesn't leave a noticeable smell. Usually I prefer that as some cleaners can be too sweet, which I don't like. Flash with Febreze is a good combination.
* Negative: The colour is a lot more noticeable than anything I've ever used. I'd prefer something lighter or colourless.

* No, not really. Spray bottles makes me clean work surfaces more often, but that applies to most cleaning brands.

* Possibly, but I'd prefer it less coloured. If they scaled down on that, I'd most likely use it again. Currently that is the one thing that puts me off the product.

* Excellent talk. Steve clearly knows a lot about his subject and has very good presentation skills. He interacted well with everyone and was very helpful.
* Main thing learnt: It's not as easy to create the perfect fragrance as you'd think.

Lotkinsgonecurly Mon 22-Mar-10 15:41:22

I really liked the product, it was a much better smell than a cleaner with bleach. Softer but not too pongy!

2. The smell definately lasted for quite a long time. It smelt fresher, I used the liquid on floors and they came up really shiny and fresh smelling.

3. The product was quite blue! Finish on floors and surfaces was good, they really looked clean and retained their shine rather than dulling after cleaning.

4. I really don't like cleaning, I do chuckle when I look at the bottles and think of the perfume we made.

5. I would definatley buy this product again.

6. I really enjoyed Steve's talk on fragrances and thought it was really informative. It made me realise how complex frangrance making is and how different combinations together smell great but independantly can smell quite different.

I also really enjoyed the event. Thank you

mustrunmore Mon 22-Mar-10 18:48:40

Ok, there is no doubt it cleans well! The spray does say 'cover surface completely', which I was a bit hmm about, as it seems so very liberal! I'm used to a few sprays here and there and then spread it around as you wipe.
It does smell fresh, but I'm afraid I'm having to reprogramme my brain. Ever since Febreze came out, in my head its been the spray for people who cant be arsed to wash their curtains or settee covers! I associate it with fabrics. So it seems a bit odd to smell it in areas of cooking etc. But if you take it at face value, its a nice smell.

I have a dettol fetish, so my house reeks of it. In thaty respect, no the new product didnt smell for longer. But I also use Kitchen Power, and I cant recall any particular smell from that.

See above. Plus, I actually really like the bottle of the febreze, in terms of handling and spraying. Blue does make me think hygiene.

I dont dislike cleaning, but in all honesty, nothing would make me enjoy it more or less. I'm just glad I've gone past my childhood pocket money job days, of chalky cream cleaners and laborious scrubbing.

In all honesty, it depends on price. I like it, but price would decide.

I loved the talk, sadly enough! I felt like I should be taking notes incase I forgot things. The history bit appealed to me as a history graduate, then he lost me a bit once the chemistry kicked in! I'm still wondering why humans are attracted to animal scents such as deer and beaver things; surely that doesnt fit with evolution? In what way does it benefit us to be attracted to animals? And I'm also wondering why we dont like products based on human smells, as that would be more logical?! Why are we trying to cover up human nature with animal/plant/artificial scents?
I thought Steve was very down to earth and accessible to me as a laycreature who knows nothing of science. He had a lovely presentation style, and is wasted on chemistry; he should have been an historian smile.

As an aside:
1.My lavender hasnt grown!
2. I dont think it was necessary to spend so much money. Yes, we were all lured at the thought of a grand day out, but I'm sure hire of the penthouse was a vast amount. I'm a firm advocate of saving money.
3.Full marks for not pushing the product, and for your subtle placements/displays!

pixierara Mon 22-Mar-10 22:26:04

After using Flash with Febreze, would you say your home smelt and felt fresh as well as looked clean?

My floors gleamned! I usually use a special floor cleaner, so to use a multi purpose was a new one on me - I loved the effectiveness and the fresh smell that lingered for a fair while.

In all honestly, I don't think the smell lasted as long as my regular floor cleaner - however, the smell was much nicer! I really, really like it and lots of people have commented on how "clean" my house is. Disclaimer - was not clean, just washed floors, dust everyhwere else!

The cleaning abilities were on a par but the smell was far superior!

I don't like/dislike cleaning, it is something that needs to be "done". However, I am slightly more inclined to get on with it using these products. I also like the blue colour as associate this with cleanliness!

Absolutely - especially if they bought out a bathroom cleaner - I really don't like the current Flash bathroom smell but it is effective as a cleaner!

Steve was incredibly informative and knowledgable about his subject matter and I really thought he interacted with us lots. I enjoyed the history of making perfumes but admittedly got a bit lost on the science/chemistry side of things. I loved the random facts about things like Whales Snot though, just wish I could remember what it was called!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you fo such an enjoyable day out!

Went this afternoon and so haven't tried products yet but just wanted to jump in and say thanks! So will post comments soon - after extensive research.

It was an enjoyable afternoon and could have easily listened to Steve muchmuch longer.

I was very impressed with location and complete lack of mention of Flash with febreze grin until the last minute.

Ambergris. wink

solo Wed 24-Mar-10 00:23:25

I thought the initial scent was very light and gentle and didn't think it smelled at all like cleaner and I'm not entirely sure I like that. It cleans just as well as the old style Flash cleaners but the smell wasn't long lasting IME.

It was a light and frsh smell to begin with, but I didn't think there was a lasting smell which was what I was expecting. I think the original Flash smell lasts much longer.

The main difference was the lighter scent. I disn't use my Marigolds unusually when I used it and found my skin very dry/rough afterwards. I don't recall this happening with the other Flash.

Not really.

I'm not sure. I think I'm more likely to buy the older style Flash which I've decanted into a spray bottle for about 10+ years. I think I prefer the smell.

I loved the chat from Steve. He was really interesting to listen to and spoke easily about the whole history and process of perfume making.
I loved the revelation of the Egyptians putting a lump of fat on their heads with layers of flower oils(Effleurage)and having it melt over their heads(Euw!)
I learned the reason perfume is so expensive!!!

pixierara Wed 24-Mar-10 07:37:27

can I just add that last night DH cooked a curry and didn't clean the kitchen. This morning there were ground in curry stains where he had dished up..I put the spray on and left for about 5mins, it was really, really easy to clean up - no scrubbing needed. V.Impressed with that but like my previous post and the previous poster, just wish the smell lasted longer as is very nice!

PS Really didn't like the candle though, was way too overpowering.....back to using my lovely lily flame ones!

triplets333 Wed 24-Mar-10 11:55:07

Yes, the clean washing on the line smell wafted throughout the house, even though it had only been used on the floor!

2. Did you notice a fresher smell for longer after using Flash with Febreze, compared to other similar cleaning products you may have used before? It was certainly a fresh smell but I didn't notice a longer term effect blush

I've never had such a fresh smelling cleaner before.

Erm. think that may be wishful thinking! grin

5. After using new Flash with Febreze do you think you would use this product again? Yes, I'm a sucker for new and improved grin

6. What are your thoughts on Steve's talk around the "science" of smell and CleanTherapy? Did you find the talk interesting and informative? What was the main thing you learnt? I did find it interesting though there was a LOT of it. I was q interested in the way they collect the jasmine blossom. One of the people in my group seemed to be nodding off, perhaps the room was too warmwink.

champagnesupernova Wed 24-Mar-10 12:02:38

Definitely - was only used on the kitchen floor, but we could even smell the cleanness upstairs.

2. Did you notice a fresher smell for longer after using Flash with Febreze, compared to other similar cleaning products you may have used before? Not really.

I didn't notice extra cleaning power, but I usually use Flash anyway, but I would definitely say it had a cleaner smell.

hmm

5. After using new Flash with Febreze do you think you would use this product again? Maybe, I'm quite fickle grin

6. What are your thoughts on Steve's talk around the "science" of smell and CleanTherapy? Did you find the talk interesting and informative? What was the main thing you learnt? Steve is clearly passionate about his work . It was very informative. I was amazed at how much goes into making a fragrance.

lynnethlou Wed 24-Mar-10 20:30:39

Yes-really lovely, non chemical smell, a bit like after you've tumble dried clothes.

erm, not really longer lasting than any other products I have used.

I think the smell.

not really

yes

Was very interesting, liked learning about the history of perfume

Finbar Mon 29-Mar-10 09:23:03

. After using Flash with Febreze, would you say your home smelt and felt fresh as well as looked clean?

Yes it definitely smelt cleaner and fragrant - but it only lasted about a day

Yes - slightly - but it would be preferable if it lasted a bit longer ( or am I just too lazy to clean every bloomin' day?!)

Smell def more noticeable . I am not a' perfume' everywhere' type of gal, I loathe those plug in air fresheners and so I don't generally buy products because they are selling themselves on being scented. I agree with a previous poster about associating Febreeze with people spry cleaning their house with scented chemicals - it just makes me think 'asthma'!

Slightly

Yes - although would also depend on price. I wouldn't pay a significant amount more for a scent

Very interesting talk - It would have been useful to link it into the product and how the perfume was developed to create the various Febreeze scents.

MrsTicklemouseWantsBunnyEars Mon 29-Mar-10 19:00:10

Yes, definitely, the smell is lovely, not at all chemically or sickly sweet, it really does smell 'fresh'

I did notice the smell for longer with the floor cleaner, it's lovely to come down to first thing in the morning, and the understairs cupboard where the mop lives now smells lovely. but i cant really say the same for the surface cleaner, it did linger for a while but not as long as the floor cleaner

The colour is very blue!!
The smell is much nicer and longer lasting, i like it for the floor cleaner but I'm not sure how i feel about it for the surface cleaner, food is quite often put straight onto our surfaces and I feel like the fragrance is just another chemical to go on the food, I know all cleaners are scented I just seem more conscious of this one!
I didn't really notice any difference in cleaning power

I quite enjoy cleaning blush

I would definitely buy/recommend the floor cleaner (unless it was over pricedgrinblush) i don't think i would buy the surface cleaner though

Steve was brilliant, the talk was very interesting and informative with being patronising or overly scientific, I found it the science behind the 'febreeze scent locking type technology' fascinating

Well, after extensive research grin I have finally used the products and am now in the position to reply:

Yes - most definitely - left the kitchen sink with a hot solution of the pouring stuff to soak all the deep stains off it. Went out for the afternoon and was greeted with a lovely smell of clean washing as soon as I opened the front door - fantastic.

Most definitely - stayed at least a few hours after cleaning the bathroom with the spray Flash.

The fragrance is absolutely lovely.

Slightly. wink

Most definitely - and would recommend.

6. What are your thoughts on Steve's talk around the "science" of smell and CleanTherapy?
Would have sat and listened to Steve talk with no incentive needed.

Did you find the talk interesting and informative?
Very interesting and informative - has certainly started thing about scents again see my thread from that day here

What was the main thing you learnt?
How to make the inevitable deterioration of perfume slow down by keeping dark and cold.

Just a little thought - I was very surprised at the lack of promotion of Flash with Febreze throughout the afternoon. It was a pleasant surprise not to be bombarded by marketing.

Thank you Mumsnet (and Flash) for an enjoyable afternoon.

tibni Wed 31-Mar-10 22:42:42

Light, clean smell. Product cleaned as well as any cleaner.

No. I tend to use strong smelling cleaning products in areas such as the bathroom and on paintwork and found the flash smell light.

fresh, light fragrance

Not really. I do tend to buy products on scents I like but I have a variety that I will buy (or avoid).

If it was at a good price then it is a product I wouuld buy. I wouldn't pay more for it.

6. What are your thoughts on Steve's talk around the "science" of smell and CleanTherapy?

I really enjoyed Steves talk it was very interesting and he presented the information in a very accessible format.

Did you find the talk interesting and informative? What was the main thing you learnt?

Yes it was very interesting and I learnt a lot from the talk. I really enjoyed getting the chance to smell all the individual scents and seeing my own response to them.

I really enjoyed the day. Product placement was minimal and there was no pressure at all.

fedupofthis Thu 01-Apr-10 11:21:19

Yes

Yes

A much more fresher natural smell. Although I do like a clean lemony smell in my bathroom, for downstairs and in kitchen its a lovely smell and lasted a good while.

Yes I'd say so. I found I was more frequent with my flash spraying as I loved the clean fresh smell.

Yes definitely.

It was interesting and informative but did make me feel slightly that I was in a lecture hall back at uni. I mean this in a good way if that makes sense- he'd make a good lecturer!
The main thing I learnt was how important perfumes and scents were in the times before people were more informed about germs and hygeine.

babyicebean Thu 01-Apr-10 11:23:38

1. After using Flash with Febreze, would you say your home smelt and felt fresh as well as looked clean? Yes it wasnt chemically like normal

2. Did you notice a fresher smell for longer after using Flash with Febreze, compared to other similar cleaning products you may have used before? Was a far nicer smell, usually I try not to use too much as they all smell heavy

3. What were the main difference(s) between your usual cleaner and Flash with Febreze? (eg smell, finish etc)Itcleaned about the same as the usual cleaner but didnt leave me with a fuzzy head from the chemically head as it wasnt as over powering and the finish was as good.

4. If you don't like cleaning, would you say using Flash with Febreze makes it a slightly more bearable task? Yes as the smell wasnt as heavy

5. After using new Flash with Febreze do you think you would use this product again?Yes

6. What are your thoughts on Steve's talk around the "science" of smell and CleanTherapy? Did you find the talk interesting and informative? What was the main thing you learnt? Very interesting, it is how much goes into a fragrence that surprised me, I always thought it was just a couple of scents.I discovered I really don't like Jasmine.

littlesleepyhead Thu 01-Apr-10 13:42:43

Yes definately, It smelled so nice I really like the smell.

Yes. The house smelled much nicer for a while, well until I started cooking.

Smells nicer than my usual bleachy type it
didnt leave my floors straky and was good on the windows too.

yes the smell and ease of use made it better but I tend to clean up daily anyway

Yes I liked it

The talk was interesting but I get confused easy so I kept getting lost and all the latin names and big words just completely lost me, sorry Steve, I learnt that its a complex thing extracting the "smell" from the raw product. I was disappointed at the lack of talk about the flash product and only breifly about the science behind Febreze. I learnt rose scent smelled so bad it gave me headache and I felt sick.

I love the candle in the goodybag and DH is growing the lavender plant he is the greenfingered one.

Also I would like to add that I cleaned DH coach with the products and the passengers noticed and commented that the coach smelled really clean and nice, it smelled clean all afternoon. You would also be pleased to know that the Emmerdale cast and crew said they like it when they were asked how the coach smelled.

yes, i REALLY liked the fragrance, a refreshing change from blardy lavender!

Umm, no but i have a horrible cold! DH said it all smelt lovely though when he got home a few hours later.

the fragrance.

that particular frangrace did for me, had it have been the normal bog standard lemon, pine or lavender i'd have probably shoved it in the cleaning cupboard never to see the light of day again!

I would, in fact i have finished the squirty bottle and have tried to get more BUT we are limited with retailers in rural wales and not one stocks that fragrance- is it a new one? will it be widely availiable soon? all i can get is Flash with flipping LAVENDER febreze!

I though Steve was fabulous, really informative without frying my brain with too much science, shame he didn't have Chanel no.5 freebies for us wink i was amazed at the difference that the method of extraction makes to the core fragrance. I mainly learnt that Aldehyde's give me a truely horrendous headache and i don't like Rose because it reminds me of the wicked witch who taught me to play the piano when i was young!

Echoing the others, it was a lovely day, not too in your face with the flash products. Loved the candle to match the flash fragrance- have ordered more of them blush Also all credit to the lovely chap who was doing the actual 'organising' he was great and really helpful when i had to get a sleeping dd up to the creche room. All in all i would do it again (providing next time they also provide a complimentary cleaning service to test the products in my home for me grin)

Thanks Mn and Flash......... and all the lovely ladies i met!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Apr-10 18:55:13

reallywoundup - you've made that "lovely chaps" weekend with that comment! grin
Thanks for all the feedback so far...

littlesleepyhead Thu 01-Apr-10 23:46:33

After DH's clean coach another driver has noticed the clean fresh smell and now also cleans his coach with the stuff shock so it must be good then if the coach drivers are actually bothering to clean their coaches with flash with febreze they paid for themselves.
New target market commercial users!

mustrunmore Fri 02-Apr-10 18:48:01

Slightly concerned that whenever I smell it now, I'll associate it with posh hotels grin

And very concerned that I actually had a dream involving Steve last week <sad life with too much thinking time on my hands!>

Yey! Found the nice smelling flash in poundland today! Fab, got some of the green morning dew one as well and that smells nice too, so scrap my previous comment about not being able to get it blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now