Please note: This topic is for discussions about sponsored events Mumsnet are recruiting for. It's not the place for promoting other events. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss hosting an event with Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 MN screenings feedback thread. NOW CLOSED

(196 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 11-Oct-13 12:01:17

This thread is for the Mumsnetters who attended one of the exclusive MN screenings of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 in London or Manchester with their DCs on Sunday 13th October. We hope you all had a great time and enjoyed the film!

"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 picks up where Sony Pictures Animation’s mouth-watering comedy left off. Inventor Flint Lockwood thought he saved the world when he destroyed his most infamous invention - a machine that turned water into food causing cheeseburger rain and spaghetti tornadoes. But Flint soon learns that his invention survived and is now creating food-animals – "foodimals!" Flint and his friends embark on a dangerously delicious mission to battle hungry tacodiles, shrimpanzees, hippotatomuses, cheespiders and other foodimals to save the world – again!"

To find out more about the film (at cinemas from October 25 with previews 18, 19 & 20th) and watch the trailer, visit the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 pages on Mumsnet

Below are a few questions for you to answer but please do add any other comments you may have.

We'd also love it if you could upload some pictures of your day to this thread.

- Please give a brief, one sentence review of the film

- Out of 5, how many stars would you give the film? How many would your DC give it? (5 is highest and 1 is lowest)

- What was your/your DC's favourite part of the film? Who is their favourite character and why?

- What did your DCs love best about the day?

- What did you/your DCs think of the SUBWAY® Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 themed Kids' Pak™ that your DC received (thanks to the team at SUBWAY)?

- What was your overall experience of the screening?

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 to friends and family? Why?

Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where three winners will each receive a Sony DSC-TF1 cameras worth £159.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

moldingsunbeams Wed 16-Oct-13 21:30:07

I was most impressed with the behaviour of the kids in the actual cinema screen in Manchester, I would like to invite you all to be in the cinema when we go in future grin

SandWitch Wed 16-Oct-13 21:32:11

Sorry for the delay in responding - would love to have a better excuse, but have non other than real life is a nightmare at the moment.

Fantastic fun with lots of humour for the whole family.

- Out of 5, how many stars would you give the film? How many would your DC give it? (5 is highest and 1 is lowest)
Me - 5
dh - 4
dd (8) - 5
ds (7) - "if I can only give it a mark out of 5 then 5, but would really want to give it a million!"

- What was your/your DC's favourite part of the film? Who is their favourite character and why?
Both dd and ds say that Steve was their favourite. I think the humour in his character just really appeals to their sense of fun. Ds's favourite part was when Steve was trying to blow out the birthday candle (actually, I think that was my best bit too) dd's says that there are too many good bits to pick out one, but she loved the Jurassic Park bit and any scenes with Steve in them.

They loved the whole day. We really don't ever get to go to the cinema outside of the Junior Movie mornings as it is just too expensive, so they generally see films months after their friends. They loved the build up to the day and the excitement of being one of the first to get to see a new film.

- What did you/your DCs think of the SUBWAY® Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 themed Kids' Pak™ that your DC received (thanks to the team at SUBWAY)?
dc love Subway anyway so they were thrilled to get an extra treat. ds wanted to know if the kids meal would include a meatball sub if we went in over half term (it's not usually included in the kids meals) but perhaps Subway could offer it as part of the marketing in honour of the film? Unlike many posters, they love the Fruit Winders grin

The extra fun on offer before the screening really added to the experience. What is not to love about balloon models and face painting? It was a really lovely atmosphere too, with lots of friendly faces and patient children and grown ups.
I really loved the cinema, comfy seats, plenty of leg room and a good view of the screen. Popcorn was delicious!

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 to friends and family? Why?
I have already spoken about it with mums at the school gate when they were talking about things to do over half term. dc have been raving about it to their school friends.
We all enjoyed it much more than the first one - I think it helped that the dc were older and so 'got' more of the humour; it was also just a funnier film I think. You can't say that very often with a sequel smile

Many thanks for letting us attend - I can't tell you how much it meant to us to have a lovely family day without fear of spending money that we don't have.

ImNotCute Wed 16-Oct-13 22:01:36

Please give a brief, one sentence review of the film
A fun fantastical adventure, original and enjoyable.

Out of 5, how many stars would you give the film? How many would your DC give it? (5 is highest and 1 is lowest)
DD gives it 5, I give it 4.

What was your/your DC's favourite part of the film? Who is their favourite character and why?
Barry the strawberry was DDs favourite, and her favourite bit was when Sam and Flint met him for the first time. My favourite bits were various funny one liners eg "there's a leek in the boat!" and the more psychedelic bits as they explored the island and various creatures.

What did your DCs love best about the day?
Face painting and balloon model.

What did you/your DCs think of the SUBWAY® Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 themed Kids' Pak™ that your DC received (thanks to the team at SUBWAY)?
She loves the bag, but we didn't get a sandwich as they'd run out of veggie ones and also she's a fusspot who didn't much like the fruit roll thing.

What was your overall experience of the screening?
A really lovely morning out, dd felt really special for having seen the film before other people could and having her face painted etc. We didn't realise the film was going to be in 3d, that was a nice surprise, dd hadn't seen a 3d film before.

If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 to friends and family? Why?
Yes, it's a fun film so I would recommend to friends with young kids.

Thank you very much for letting us come along to the screening, it was great!

ladymonkey Thu 17-Oct-13 10:02:32

Hilariously, ridiculously brilliant!

Me - 5
DD - 5

My favourite character was Barry the Strawberry and pretty much any scene he was in, also the fishing pickles!
DD's favourite character was the cheeseburger spider, she keeps asking if Santa might bring her one for one for Christmas....

The balloon modeller, the free popcorn, the 3D specs and the Film.

She enjoyed the sandwich but wasn't so fond of the fruit strips.... think she'd have rather have had actual fruit.

We had a great time, thank you very much!

Definitely! We really enjoyed the first one and the sequel doesn't let it down at all, cant wait till it comes out on DVD for my husband and son to see. Very good indeed.

DP took DS3 (Aged7) to see the film...

- Please give a brief, one sentence review of the film ~ DS3 said the film was "Brilliant! Really funny and there were lots of surprises".

- Out of 5, how many stars would you give the film? How many would your DC give it? (5 is highest and 1 is lowest) ~ DP gave the film a 3 and DS3 gave the film 5!

- What was your/your DC's favourite part of the film? Who is their favourite character and why? ~ DS3s favourite character was Berry and the best part of the film was when Berry wore a suit with ice guns and defeated the enemies.

- What did your DCs love best about the day? ~ DS3 loved the film and seeing it before all his friends made the day extra special.

- What did you/your DCs think of the SUBWAY® Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 themed Kids' Pak™ that your DC received (thanks to the team at SUBWAY)? ~ DS3 really enjoyed his ham sandwich and liked the reusable bag the meal came in.

- What was your overall experience of the screening? ~ DP said it was a really enjoyable morning. The balloon character was great and DS3 loved his strawberry arm "tattoo". The staff were friendly and both DP and DS3 said the popcorn was delicious.

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 to friends and family? Why? ~ Both DP and DS3 said they would definitely recommend the film as it was funny and an enjoyable way to pass a couple of hours. DS3 can't wait for it to come out on on DVD so he can watch it again and again!

MarlenaGru Fri 18-Oct-13 11:17:19

Huge apologies for the delay... And the brief answers. Dh took DC and he is a man of few words!

Very good imagination, we both enjoyed it.

Me - 4
DC - 4

Favourite part of film - Berry having a bowel movement
Favourite character - Berry (cute)

She loved the film, but enjoyed the tattoo and the snacks!

DC really enjoyed it

Yes, it was very imaginative

Sunseed Fri 18-Oct-13 13:06:53

Please give a brief, one sentence review of the film:
"Using friends and perseverance to overcome evil intent, Flint succeeds in safe-guarding the foodimals."

Out of 5, how many stars would you give the film? How many would your DC give it? (5 is highest and 1 is lowest)
Me - 3
DCs - 4

What was your/your DC's favourite part of the film? Who is their favourite character and why?
My favourite character was Steve, especially the part with trying to put out the everlasting candle. Quite often it was little sequences going on in the background that were more interesting than the main story.
Elder DS liked Arl (sp?) the policeman best. Younger DS liked Steve, Berry, Sam and Flint.

They liked the trip to the Trafford Centre as not been before, also having the photos done, popcorn and the film.

What did you/your DCs think of the SUBWAY® Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 themed Kids' Pak™ that your DC received (thanks to the team at SUBWAY)?
We all liked the bag, and the younger DS liked the poster activities. They said the sandwich was OK but one didn't like tomato and the other didn't like the cucumber. Odd as they usually do, but maybe these had gone a bit soggy/slimy.

A fun morning's entertainment, worth the trip. We had got there at 10am exactly and it did feel like a lot of hanging about and queuing - as soon as we got there I discouraged them from the face-painting idea which they were quite happy about. Film started after 11am rather than 10:45am so again I had to manage their expectations somewhat, but I was very pleased that once it did start we were straight into the film with no adverts/trailers.

If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 to friends and family? Why?
Yes, definitely, as it was very entertaining with lots going on. A bit slow to get going, but otherwise very engaging and lots to look at as well as the main story. I'm quite certain we'll be seeing this one again!

Onlyinwatford Fri 18-Oct-13 16:36:33

Apologies for the delay in this, but was having problems logging into MN. OK, here goes...

A fantastically funny, colourful and entertaining movie for all the family!

DS10 gave it 5
DD8 gave it 5
I gave it 4

DS aged 10 said the policeman and the monkey as they were really funny
DD aged 8 said Barry Berry because of the cute factor!
They both loved it when Barry and Steve saved the day and when Barry did a strawberry jam poo!

The 3D film and the gourmet popcorn. it was delicious. The facepainting and balloon making were a huge hit too. Thank you!

DS isn't a fan of salad in sandwiches but DD loved her cheese and salad roll and scoffed it up in a manner of minutes. They liked the drink but weren't keen on the fruit roll thing.

Absolutely fantastic and extremely well organised. This was such an amazing treat for all of us. The staff and balloon people were all so friendly and kept the children entertained.

Most definitely. It is really funny and colourful and we all laughed so much. The kids said that they'd tell all their friends about it. Thank you for a wonderful day out Mumsnet. We really appreciate it.

MrsFlintLockwood Mon 21-Oct-13 10:03:44

I'm on a name change here, so not the name I was invited under, hope that's ok MNHQ?

Really funny sequel full of adorable foodimals.

5 all round

definitely the foodimals, as there were so many funny ones and they were so cute. Her favourite was Barry, I think because of his funny expressions and squeaky voice!

Getting face paint! On her arm admittedly, BUT it was the first time she had ever had it done, as she's always been too scared before. She absolutely loved her Barry 'tattoo' and was very proud of herself. Those face painters were really talented!

Nice, DD munched her way through the sandwich and drink during the movie and we love the little bag it came in. She didn't like the yoyo fruity thing - so I ate it blush

great fun, nice to visit Westfield as we'd never been, and I was brave and talked to one other mum (social anxiety means this is an achievement!) and I was really impressed with the balloon animals, face painting and photo booth.

yes because it's really funny and worth the hype

MrsFlintLockwood Mon 21-Oct-13 10:04:53

Photos...

MrsFlintLockwood Mon 21-Oct-13 10:08:53

Can't actually see if that worked or not, will check on desktop site later blush

HepsibubbleCauldronToad Mon 21-Oct-13 11:12:11

DD says it was BRILLIANT. (Yes, she shouted it)

DD says 5/5

DD's favourite character was Steve. She says all of it was her favourite bit. confused

DD loved the photo booth and Facepainting best.

DD is not wildly enthusiastic about Subway, but she says it was nice to have a lunch bag that she can use again.

DD had a fantastic time. She was so executed to go and is still talking about it a week on. She also really wants to go and see it again.

Definitely, yes. It's a great family film.

ohforfoxsake Mon 21-Oct-13 11:35:42

Fun, colourful, imaginative - a good sequel to the original

- Out of 5, how many stars would you give the film? How many would your DC give it? (5 is highest and 1 is lowest) I would give it 4, they agreed on a 5.

- What was your/your DC's favourite part of the film? Who is their favourite character and why? My favourite was the Jurassic Park scene - very imaginative and colourful. DD2 liked the marshmallow family, DD1 liked Barry Berry, DS1 liked the whole thing (but not that it was 3d as it gave him a sore head apparently :-/)

- What did your DCs love best about the day? They felt special because it was a preview, spoilt because of the goody bags. The popcorn was highly commended.

- What did you/your DCs think of the SUBWAY® Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 themed Kids' Pak™ that your DC received (thanks to the team at SUBWAY)? They liked the kids pak very much, and it was good quality. No one liked the sandwich. I wouldn't put mayonnaise or smoked cheese/ham in a sarnie for children. I quite liked it though.

- What was your overall experience of the screening? Very good! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I especially enjoyed meeting my RL MN friends - and the fact it is free (for us as a family of 6, going to the movies is £££££).

Yes, it was really suitable for a younger family - not too 'in your face' with the 3D effects, imaginative, colourful. All my DCs enjoyed it from ages 6 - 11.

Thanks very much for the opportunity. :-)

Awesome!

Me : 4
DC : 5

They enjoyed the 3d aspects very much, and loved the Tacodiles and The Cheese spider!

They loved it all, the balloon modellers,face painters but were very impressed with the photo of them that looked like they were in the movie!

Enjoyed their snacks,the fruit thing was a hit with one of the DCs who ended up eating all three of them,they loved the bags and the fact they could use them again,there was lots of chat about the movie afterwards whilst looking at the pictures on the bags and on the poster included!

Well organized,fun event with everything thought out which made for a very enjoyable morning,great film and very happy children especially on finding a drink and popcorn on their seats! The 3d glasses were a big hit too!

Yes,it was a great film although I would have preferred the term Crapola was not included! Not to be stuffy but it felt out of place, otherwise it was good fun! If only all movie screenings included all the extras the mumsnet team organized! It was a great day! Many thanks and in the words of three 6 year old boys they thought the whole event was 'awesome!' X

googlyeyes Mon 21-Oct-13 18:34:01

DD says 'Very funny, occasionally scary, with the cutest foodimals imaginable?'

Out of 5, how many stars would you give the film? How many would your DC give it?
DH and I would give it 4 but DD and DS would give it 6 if they could

DD loved it when the strawberry was translating what Flint was saying to the other foodimals. And DS says I'm mean asking him to choose!
DD's favourite character was the strawberry and DS loved Chicken Brent!

DS loved that it was his first ever trip to the cinema, and to see the sequel to his favourite ever film at that, and DD loved 'every single minute'!

Sadly they are both very fussy eaters so passed their subway meals onto DH and I. They loved the popcorn though!

It was a complete treat from beginning to end. The kids loved every minute and felt like they were spoilt rotten, and DH I couldn't believe our luck in being chosen. It was fab!

Yes I would most definitely recommend it. It's a visual treat with thrills, humour and a great storyline that would appeal to the whole family

Many, many thanks from the Googly family!

LittleMissA Mon 21-Oct-13 19:44:21

Brief Summary
DD says she loved it and can we see it again this week!

DD would give it a 5, DH and I 3.5

We all liked Berry best! DD wasn't keen on the cheeseburger, apparently she's been having nightmares about it!

DD loved getting the tube as first time she's been to London, she loved having her picture taken and has shown it to everyone.

The bag was lovely and just the right size for DD to use when playing at home. She liked the drink, wasn't keen on the sandwich as didn't like the salad bits and didn't like the fruit thing but she is a fussy eater. She still loved being given a special bag and the sticker she placed proudly on her window!

We had a lovely time and it was a big adventure for DD, thank you mumsnet!

I would recommend it to friends/family with young children. I think its a lovely colourful film with some great characters, ideas, just may not appeal to children over 10

BuiltForComfort Mon 21-Oct-13 22:54:43

Not having much luck here - thought I had posted on the thread but apparently not, and we arrived to the screening later than planned so didn't do the activities or have a chance to take photos - sorry.

Flint Lockwood and his amazing invention are back with incredibly funny results

- Out of 5, how many stars would you give the film? How many would your DC give it? (5 is highest and 1 is lowest) 4.5 from us both

- What was your/your DC's favourite part of the film? Who is their favourite character and why? Ds loved the foodimals and the spider burger, I liked the Jurassic park reference and the scenery.

- What did your DCs love best about the day? He was very chuffed with his goody bag but just loved getting to be one of the first people to see the film.

- What did you/your DCs think of the SUBWAY® Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 themed Kids' Pak™ that your DC received (thanks to the team at SUBWAY)? Ds liked the sandwich, once I'd picked all the lettuce out, and the drink, sticker and tattoo.

- What was your overall experience of the screening? Very positive, thank you,

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 to friends and family? Why? Definitely! It's lots of fun, a great sequel and would be an excellent half term outing.

FloraDance Tue 22-Oct-13 18:42:46

Sorry to be so late, bumping for the weekend crowds!

Action and adventure for the kids, laughs for the adults smile

5 stars from both!

DDs' favourite part was when the policeman sucked his specifically purple tear back in?! Berry is her favourite character. She liked the plot theme of rival inventors.

Having her picture taken, popcorn, smarties and a balloon.

HAd eaten too much popcrn to enjoy it I am afraid!

Brilliant fun.

Definitely, I love that films like this are being made for all the family to enjoy, rather than endure!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Nov-13 18:46:49

Hello - sorry for the delay but am pleased to say the three winners of a Sony DSC-TF1 camera worth £159 are EstoyAqui, Justasmallgless and Katz. Thanks to everyone who attended and added feedback!

Just seen my email - thank you sooooo much to both Sony and MN.
I feel very lucky and am a bit overwhelmed!

EstoyAqui Tue 05-Nov-13 16:16:20

Yay, yay, yay thank you so much for the wonderful day. I'm over the moon to have won. DD is very excited. Thank you Mumsnet and Sony.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now