Please note: This topic is for discussions about sponsored events Mumsnet are recruiting for. It's not the place for promoting other events. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss hosting an event with Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

Ford Track Day at Donington - Feedback thread

(67 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Oct-10 10:04:12

Many thanks to all those who particpated in the Ford Test Drive Day at Donington. Thank you for coming and helping make the day what it was grin

By way of background - Ford invited nearly 100 Mumsnetters to attend a thrilling Ford track driving day at Donington. They test drove two cars from the Ford range of vehicles, as well as having the chance to learn new driving skills and being driven at high speed in a Ford RS by a professional driving instructor.

This is the feedback thread for those Mumsnetters who attended to post their views on how the day went. Please also include the views of your partner/ DH/ friend etc if you attended with someone else.

If you'd like to know more about Ford please click here

Questions for all Donington Drive Day participants

1 What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal Friday?

2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about?

3 What was the highlight of your drive day experience?

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them?

5 What did you think of the off-road driving?

6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day?

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving?

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family?

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car?

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day?

11 Has the experience made you feel any differently about Ford?

Many thanks
MNHQ

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 26-Nov-10 21:02:33

More pictures have been loaded up now on Ford MN pages - click on 'see the pictures' under the Donington bit and scroll down to the link at the bottom of the page.

sherby Sun 14-Nov-10 20:37:37

Ha just seen the video, looks like a good day!

BonzoDooDah Fri 12-Nov-10 15:52:34

Woooo Hooooooo
Takes me back to that ride round in the RS! Wanna do it again!!!!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 12-Nov-10 12:53:51

Video live here now. Sorry for the delay.

BonzoDooDah Wed 03-Nov-10 10:41:11

Oh super - lovely pics thanks. I have to say the Off-road vehicles look a lot cleaner than they did when we finished with them grin

Now can we start nagging about when the video will be available?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Nov-10 16:33:34

Hi
Photos here - enjoy!
Ann

BonzoDooDah Mon 01-Nov-10 17:58:19

taps fingers eagerly ... come on MNHQ .....

hobbgoblin Fri 29-Oct-10 20:32:48

To school (less than a mile) then on to town (3 miles) then home. Later to the bank (4 miles, school run, home)

Great, wish I'd asked who more people were. I think we talked about the fast bit and car seats, plus clothing of men versus women. hmm

The ESP bit, by far. We are booking a rally day now...grin

We drove Mondeo the slower one I think) and liked plus the Galaxy. Loved space in Galaxy, it had a very roomy airy feel. However, both cars felt uncomfortable to me and DP and we did not feel they had supportive seats. Maybe we are bad drivers! Compared to last automatic I drove (VW passat sport version) a little sluggish.

I hated it. DP liked. This is because I was rubbish at it.

No. I will be tempted to handbrake turn in order to try out the ESP thingy on my car.

Oh, that talk bit was v. interesting. I want one of those monitors on my car.

Safety, space for children AND luggage - ISofix flexibility, and enhanced protection THROUGHOUT the car since our precious children use all 6 rear seats on a daily basis.

Quite important so long as not affecting the overall price too much then we would prioritise this.

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day?

I'm afraid the only vehicle (which we didn't drive) that we would be tempted by is the S Max. We plan to book a test drive. The Galaxy, despite room lacked finesse and the other vehicles, though impressive safety wise and for family thoughtfulness lacked finesse for their price we thought. Sorry!

I think we both feel that Ford is now clearly focusing on suitability of its vehicles for families but we do not think value for money has improved. Ford remains a robust economical option but if anything has moved slightly away from that in our opinions.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Oct-10 14:02:34

sorry - we're just sorting them - will def post a link here when up.

sherby Thu 28-Oct-10 14:30:09

I don't think they have been put yet

satine Thu 28-Oct-10 12:43:10

Have I missed the photos link?

(Sorry to keep on about it....)

shakingleaf Fri 22-Oct-10 22:43:35

think'll be time for another namechange then!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Oct-10 22:37:34

photos should be up early next week...we'll post a link on the feedback thread

I'd forgotten that blush.

shakingleaf Fri 22-Oct-10 21:50:57

noah did you notice anyone else get collared for their views on the day at the end? I'm blush at my daft "fun" rambling that was taped.

Think it was only the reviews for the Fords that got tested last year in the snow.

Will keep waiting

I'm sure I saw an orange box on the right hand side that said something about cars but I wasn't concentrating. Will scour around and see if I can find anything

sherby Thu 21-Oct-10 22:22:39

Any idea when photos/interviews will be up, very interested in seeing what DH got up to on the day!

sherby Thu 21-Oct-10 22:21:46

I don't usually use the car in the week.

Very interesting since it is my DW who is the MNer!, mostly talked about the days driving.

Hot lap in the RS

Mondeo - Lovely car, amazing technology

Great fun, very impressed with the ranger.

No grin

Was pretty knowledgable to start with!

Safety and size

Quite important

Favourite car was the S-Max, very impressed with the range and new technology

No, we have always driven Fords!

danabu Wed 20-Oct-10 20:47:35

1. A normal Friday: taking my boys to nursery a couple of miles away in the morning, then onto work a further 4 miles. Repeated in the evening in reverse

2. Other mumsnetters: it was great to meet them, those I talked to we friendly and quite normal. Only really had chance to talk about journey there (how far / traffic etc) and childcare arrangements for the day

3. Highlight: I really enjoyed throwing the Kuga around the slalom

4. Which cars I drove: S max and Kuga. The s-max felt spacious inside but didn't feel like a bus to drive, and I liked the driving position in the Kuga

5. Off road driving: great fun, and a good lesson on not trying to do to much on a slippery surface when natural instinct is to try and put more power on

6. Safer driver: I think I already am pretty safe, but I certainly learned stuff in the car seat fitting bit that I wasn't aware of previously

7. Fuel efficient driving: all I recall is that Ford are managing to get more performance out of smaller engines

8. Important vehicle features: safety, style, performance

9. Lower CO2 emissions: fairly important as can make quite a difference to road tax and also the tax on any company car I choose

10. Range of ford family vehicles: seems to be something for everyone, my favourite was the Kuga

11. Think differently of Ford: yes, previously never had a particularly high opinion and wasn't a make that we would buy through choice, but would definitely consider their vehicles now

pinksancerre Wed 20-Oct-10 19:29:34

Fab day too, Thank you Mumsnet and all the mumsnetters who went! grin

pinksancerre Wed 20-Oct-10 19:28:49

30 miles round trip for work then any meetings/visits I need to do inbetween
dh - 30 miles round trip

Good, everyone was lovely. No discussion about mumsnet nicknames!

Off roading

The fiesta, nice and nippy, but high OTR price for a fiesta, high spec. S Max, comfortable drive, nice interior

Fabulous, and very calm instructor when I got stuck on a hill blush

Think I was quite safe, but good to learn how the safety technology works in practice

Pretty common sense, nothing specific
Side impact technology as my dc are out of car seats

getting more important with the tax changes

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day? C max and the parking technology!!! Brought ford into our radar

11 Has the experience made you feel any differently about Ford? Yes,hadn't looked at Ford since selling my Focus in 2005

silverfrog Wed 20-Oct-10 13:32:41

1 What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal Friday? School run x2 (incorporates motorway, about town and seriously narrow single lane only and only then if you are lucky country lanes) - 15 miles each way. then probably either a quick trip into town, or a drive up into central (as in very central) London if dd1 has a therapy appointment.

2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about? It was a nice day. we chatted about this and that, not really about MN much.

3 What was the highlight of your drive day experience? The off roading was good. I loved the ESP Kuga bit though - was very interesting to see how well cars cope with situations like that

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them? For the road test, we drove the Galaxy and the Kuga. The Galaxy was ok. It's a people carrier, reasonably comfortable. Still can't get past the overlooking of Isofix issues, though (although this has at least been partially solved now that it is present on all 3 middle seats. Bit hmm that the experts on the day, who apparently knew all there was to kno about the cars, didn't know this hmm). The Kuga I thought had a hideous lag when setting off. Really put me off, although I would in any case be looking at a manual not an automatic if we were to buy one. Did like the Kuga though - thought it performed very well in the ESP test, and felt nice and together as a car.

It was a good laugh. dh & I are no strangerto this anyway, but it was good fun. LIke the anti-stall, and the climbing steps bit - nice little gizmo.

6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day? I think I was a fairly safe driver anyway (who doesn't ?) But I din't hink I learnt anything that would make me a safer driver in particular.

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving? Not a lot more than I already knew. The Econo-check thingy would be interesting from an analysing driving style pov.

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family? Safety, safety, safety. And then space (dd2 is still in a rear facing toddler seat - they take up room!), and we have 2 teens and 2 littlies - makes car buying tricky, if you want to use Isofix seats, as entry to the rearmost seats is restricted.

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car? Not massively - we go by safety/space (and then driving features as well)

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day? They were ok. Like the way the middle seat folds away on the new C-Max, very neat (although the car si too small for us anyway). The Galaxy and S-max we have looked at before and rejected on suitability grounds.

Liked the Kuga, a lot (apart form the ridiculous lag) Would be a possibility as a replacement for my car, I guess (Honda CRV), once dd2 moves out of her rear facing seat.

11 Has the experience made you feel any differently about Ford? Not hugely. It was a lovely day, and great fun. But the cars just still don't quite suit us, unfortunately (currently have Honda CRV, and a Mercedes Viano)

Thank you to Mumnset and to Ford, dh & I had a great day smile

jjuice Wed 20-Oct-10 09:28:59

Take DS to school then carry on to work back for DS maybe call at shops on way home.Only about 5-6 miles in total In the evening I collect for a local charity so if I am driving I could drive maybe 20-30 miles.
2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about
I have only just joined mumsnet as I came with my sister. I did chat a lot with other mums though...mostly about what fun we were having.
Kuga and Focus RS without a doubt although the off roading was brilliant fun too.
We took out a Fiesta and a Kuga. Both were a nice smooth drive. I already loved the Kuga...now I neeeeeeeed one.
Absolutely brilliant fun. It was interesting to see just how far you could push the vehicle and still feel safe.
Not really...you can't improve on perfection can you? wink
Not a lot. Not a lot. I already know whats best...it's putting it into practice that's the tricky bit.
Safety, 4x4 (for jetski on beach and the hills we live in when it snows...we tend to shop for the street) Size , Performance, Deprecition.
um...ish.
I was very impressed with the S-Max and C-Max but my fave was def the Kuga by a mile.
(The RS Focus would lose me my driving licence)
Yes. I have always liked Ford cars as they are not Tinny and boxy like some I shall not mention. But I was very impressed with a lot of the new safety and design features on the new range (NOT I must add the parking and blind spot design...as my sister said....just learn to drive properly!)
I thought the day was brilliantly organised and ran very smoothly. I had half expected a very boring day with maybe a half hour of fun. Whereas we had a fun packed brilliant day with just a little bit of sitting and listening.
Well done Mumsnet and well done Ford. Thank you.

BonzoDooDah Tue 19-Oct-10 23:20:01

Thanks for a super day our MN and Ford - we had a great day.

Commute to nursery (1 mile) then another 3 miles to work in rushhour traffic. Then back again.

Ooh lots of things - cars, children, portaloos, the smoking types, whether that woman [point fingers and camera] was using the disabled loo or not ...

Oh undoubtably the RS drive. Fabulous! I have a new hero (Sarah Reader). She's amazing and wow. I grazed my knee falling out of the car afterwards!

4x4 jobbie was really good fun. I liked all the anti-stall devices and that you could just let the car get on with it and drive you out of the tricky bit. The Galxy - okay if you wanted a big monster car - impressed with the seat folding and 3 isofixes on the middle row (Trip-parents must love them)
Kuga was fun to drive on the proper roads though I'd have preferred to try a car with gears - still it handled really well and not like the big lump that it looked like.
The fiesta was okay too though nothing special. Cornered well and accelerated nicely.

FAAAAAAB!!!! Thought the car was going to tip on its roof but the instructor informed us it was way off (we were at 27 degrees and you need to get to 48!) But we had a good try. Driving up the mad hills with foot off the accelerator and hte car knowing what to do was amazing. And somehow going sideways round the corners in the thick mud - Great. The instructor was great too. Not patronising but very reassuring.

Erm .. no. Why should I be? I'd been trying to tip cars over and racing and swerving fast things at high speed.

Nowt! They mentioned some sort of program / gadgetty widget you could fit to your car and it would monitor your driving and then tell you how to improve. but they didn't actually tell us any tips at the session (as far as I remember)

Space in the boot for holidaying with travel cot/ pram etc. Comfortable seats for long journey to see distant relatives.

Emissions - don't think of them much except to try and get fairly low - more bothered about fuel consumption (not the same is it?)

As someone else said - I wasn't there to buy a car and there's no way I'd buy one of those hulking great Galaxy thingies but it was fun to see the new gadegts for people who can't drive parallel parking. I mean the thing tells you which space fits the car and then puts it in there. DH said he'd only be slightly more impressed if the wheels turned through 90 degrees and the car moved in sideways!

I was fairly impressed with the cars we saw though. After only seeing Sierras and Fiascos Fiestas in the past and then not having much experience of them I was pleasantly impressed. I'd love a Focus RS but would have to hand over my driving licence with the log book as it would just be a fast route to instant driving ban for speeding.
I'd be most likely to buy a Focus out of all the cars I saw except the boot is much smaller that an Astra (similar size Vauxhall family car) and that's what counts most at the moment.

Yup - think they are a lot more "buyable" than I'd previously thought. I am seriously impressed with the zero carbon emmisions /total wind energy Daganham site. And am impressed with the new tricks and features the cars have.

That said I wasn't impressed with the sales rep who gave us our talk and told us we could use the Galaxy "to go to coffee mornings" angry and later that another car was "good if your husband drives a lot" [seeth] I did mention to someone from Ford that if he wanted to keep his teeth in the next presentations he'd better buck up. Although points up for not mentioning we could do our makeup in the rear view mirror hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now