Please note: This topic is for discussions about sponsored events Mumsnet are recruiting for. It's not the place for promoting other events. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss hosting an event with Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

Ford Track Day at Donington - Feedback thread

(67 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Oct-10 10:04:12

Many thanks to all those who particpated in the Ford Test Drive Day at Donington. Thank you for coming and helping make the day what it was grin

By way of background - Ford invited nearly 100 Mumsnetters to attend a thrilling Ford track driving day at Donington. They test drove two cars from the Ford range of vehicles, as well as having the chance to learn new driving skills and being driven at high speed in a Ford RS by a professional driving instructor.

This is the feedback thread for those Mumsnetters who attended to post their views on how the day went. Please also include the views of your partner/ DH/ friend etc if you attended with someone else.

If you'd like to know more about Ford please click here

Questions for all Donington Drive Day participants

1 What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal Friday?

2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about?

3 What was the highlight of your drive day experience?

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them?

5 What did you think of the off-road driving?

6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day?

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving?

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family?

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car?

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day?

11 Has the experience made you feel any differently about Ford?

Many thanks
MNHQ

well I didnt go but my DH works there...he thoroughly enjoyed having more ladies to look at at work on Friday. He said he hopes you all had a lovely day as it certainly looked that way grin

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Oct-10 10:11:28

How funny thedoctorswife! What does he do?

Malificence Mon 18-Oct-10 10:28:00

1 What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal Friday? For me, a 5 minute drive to and from work, for DH a 75 mile roundtrip to Derby for work.

2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about? It was really nice, everyone was lovely and we mainly talked about the cars, plus where we were from etc.

3 What was the highlight of your drive day experience? Driving the 4x4 on the off road course.

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them? The S-MAX, it was lovely to drive, very smooth and comfortable and picked up nicely on acceleration. Then the Mondeo, I have to say we were very underwhelmed by it, it was very rough, engine-wise, for a car with only 60 miles on the clock, if that was the top of the range then I wouldn't want the base model.

5 What did you think of the off-road driving? It was brilliant, although the instructor was perhaps a little bit over-cautious.

6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day? Possibly, it was fun to throw the Kuga around the cones but if I tried that in my car I would end up on the roof!

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving? Nothing that I didn't already know.

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family? Ease of access, safety and comfort.

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car? Very, lower emmissions means lower tax!

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day? The new C-max looks fab, the S-MAX was good to drive but my favourite was the Kuga.

11 Has the experience made you feel any differently about Ford? No, I've always been a Ford driver.

I have to correct you slightly Ann (sorry blush ) - it wasn't the full Ford range, I had hoped to drive a Focus but there wasn't even one to test drive. They should have had more Kugas too, we didn't get to test drive one of those either, which I really wanted to do, so ended up in a Mondeo instead, which was a bit of a disappointment - other than those minor niggles, it was a fantastic day. smile

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Oct-10 10:29:52

True Malificience, will amend now!

fishewen Mon 18-Oct-10 11:16:09

10 minute drive to and from work

Great - all very nice and good to talk to other women about cars!

3 What was the highlight of your drive day experience? The Hot Laps with a female racing driver around the track - she was awesaome (SaraH) and I now want a hot hatch - prefereably a Focus RS!!!!

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them? Drove the Kuga round a track, and a Mondeo and Fiesta on the roads, plus a Ranger off road. Very impressed with the power of the Mondeo and the smoothness of the automatic transmission, and the handling of the Kuga and the fiesta.

Loved every minute of it - couldn't get the grin off my face!!! Had beena passenger in LAnd ROvers years ago when my Dad competed, but it was great to get behind the wheel myself!!!!!
6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day? Probably won't make any difference - like to think I am already safe.

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving? That my car isn't very !!!

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family? Looks and luggage!

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day? The FOcus RS - fun fun fun!!!

yes - very impressed with the range now!

Thanks Ford (who were all very nice people) and Mumsnet (who were too!) for a great day oout! When can I come again?

satine Mon 18-Oct-10 11:21:55

Hi! My feedback:

1. Normal commute to work - 10 mins, door to door. Every other weekend, I drive for 40 mins to meet ex-h for child hand-over.
2. I loved meeting other MNers - although it was frustrating not knowing who they were! I take the point of some who said they didn't want to be 'outed' but I would have liked to have been able to recognise names! It was nice having a common history, though - the 'in' jokes about Boden & improper use of disabled loos....
3. I enjoyed the ESP testing most of all, closely followed by the off-roading.
4. I drove the Kuga and the Galaxy. Both were automatic and suffered a little from a lag in acceleration, but were very luxurious compared to my very basic car!
5. I LOVED the off-roading. I giggled like a loon most of the way round, and I was amazed at what the pick-up could cope with. This should be COMPULSORY for everyone buying a Chelsea tractor (as should lessons in how to reverse a 4x4, but that's a whole other thread....)
6. I'm not sure I'll be a safer driver, but I would very much like to have the ESP system backing me up in case of an accident or near miss!
7. Not much, to be honest!
8. ESP system, airbags and roll-cage construction.
9. Not very. I would prefer to pay less road tax, but I wouldn't use CO2 emissions as a major factor in my decision.
10. Most were too big for me, but I did like the new C-Max as a practical choice. Of course I'd love a Focus RS, but it wouldn't really be very sensible....
11. I already drive a Ford, and am quite happy with it, but it has certainly strengthened my intention to stick with Ford when I eventually change. I'm also lucky to be near a really helpful and generous Ford dealership, which has really made me feel loyal to them!

Thank you so much to MN for the great day. I loved it!

satine Mon 18-Oct-10 11:25:57

BTW - would you like me to ask dp (who came with me) the same questions? Or is it just our opinions you want?!

He's a humble cleaner! He said "there were tons of women there today??!! It was brilliant" ha ha. I said it was mumsnet and he asked why i hadnt gone, but I was having my very very first meet up with MNetters elsewhere! grin

I should add that evidently my DH is not a doctor as my name suggests and that refers to valentino rossi also of Donington fame!

Pinewood Mon 18-Oct-10 11:40:54

1 What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal Friday? 20 mins on school runs x 2 dropping the DC off at two separate locations.

2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about? Great, mostly cars.

3 What was the highlight of your drive day experience? Trying out the Kuga through the cones!

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them? Kuga, Ranger, Mondeo and Galaxy. Loved the Ranger's auto drive up and down hills! The Kuga's stability was great. Mondeo found the semi-auto gearbox a bit of a challenge as I'm used to a manual. They Galaxy was really comfortable and great driving position.

5 What did you think of the off-road driving? Fantastic, I was really nervous about this bit but the instructor and auto drive helped calm my nerves!

6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day? Possibly if I could afford a Kuga !

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving? That Ford offer a monitor for two weeks at £30 that will advise you on more efficient driving.

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family? The rear seatbelt alarm would drive me nuts hmm but it's an important safety feature along with lots of airbags!

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car? It's important and I would check to see how much the Road Tax would be in relation to emissions.

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day? Definitely the Kuga. It was so fun to drive and good high driving position.

11 Has the experience made you feel any differently about Ford? Always had Fords so no still love 'em the same. Liked some of the new features - just wish I could afford a new one as mine's nearly 10 years old!

Borisismyhousespider Mon 18-Oct-10 11:46:25

1 School run, half hour to work, half hour back, alternate weeks 1 hr trip up mway to get ss, then 1 hr back!

2 Good fun day, talked about allsorts, from cars, to houses, kids, schools, holidays etc

3 The lap in the RS/the 4 x 4 driving, both very good fun grin

4 S-Max and Kuga. Both nice drives, good acceleration for automatics (would have been nice to try a stick shift though!) I like the space in the S-Max, you can fit a lot in! The Kuga was fun to sling around on the track with the breaking demonstration, so I guess that's the best thing about that car, that and the height of the seating.

5 Liked the off roading lots too grin good to be able to get chance to use the 4x4 capability of a car, rather than just wondering what it's there for! (instructor very informative too)

6 Surely I was safe already grin

7 Nothing new

8 Safety and the amount of people you can fit into one vehicle

9 Very, especially if they reduce road tax!

10 I really liked the look of the new c-max grande, although out of the cars we got to drive the S-Max was my favourite.

11 Yes, I'm impressed by the range and am more likly to consider them when swapping our car next time round.

Borisismyhousespider Mon 18-Oct-10 11:53:22

PS: Ford we could have done with a feedback sheet when we took the vehicles out, on the clipboard with the times in and out sheet, then we could have left you good constructive info on what we thought of the cars at the time, whilst it was fresh in our minds smile

vnmum Mon 18-Oct-10 12:15:45

Hi, DH and I had a great day. Thanks Ford and Mumsnet. Here is my feedback

1 What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal friday?
The school run - 10 mins each way

2 What was it like meeting other mumsnetters and what did you talk about?
It was good to meet other mumsnetters and mainly talked about the cars and the day

The 4x4 driving. For DH it was the hot lap

DH and I drove the Kuga and Mondeo estate. Both were automatic. I loved the Kuga and found it quite nippy. DH liked the Kuga but thought the Mondeo was more him. I found the Mondeo felt abit heavy even compared to the mondeo we used to own. DH would have a focus RS over everything though.

5 What did you think of the off road driving?
It was fab. Abit scary at first when it was sliding in the mud but once you got used to it it was good.

6 Do you think you will be a safer driver after attending the day?
No more than usual, although i would love the ESP on my current car.

7 What did you discover about more fuel efficient driving?
Nothing i wasn't already aware of

8 What vehicle features are more important for your family?
Safety, Comfort, Performance and fuel economy. Oh and it has to look good too.

Fairly important, after all it means less road tax

10 How did you rate the new range of ford family vehicles?
Really good. Plenty of safety features

Not really. I currently drive a ford and my previous car was a Ford and when it comes to change this car we were going to get another Ford anyway. The day has really just confirmed to us that we do want another Ford and also probably the Model - Kuga. We had better get saving.

all4u Mon 18-Oct-10 12:21:35

1 What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal Friday? Just the school run as I work from home ona hill farm.

2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about? Ah yes Mumsnetters 'made flesh'! first we obviously had a lot in common and many of us who had been able to get away had older children (Mumsnet 'veterans' perhaps?)The funniest thing though was that many of hus had brough (ahem) men along and they were sooo quiet and unassuming! We Mns chatted and they were generally silent - I got the impression that they dare not even start 'man to man' chats in case they imposed on what was supposded to be our day - sweeeeet - well that was my impression anyway...

3 What was the highlight of your drive day experience? Undoubtedly being driven by Holly (petite and slim like I used to be)at high speed round the track. These cars do just go on tramlines though so it wasn't actually scary - just fun like a fairground ride that related to the real life experience of driving.

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them? Ranger (4x4 double cab pick-up Deisel)Kuga, S-max and Galaxy. All very chunky and safe with the modern feeling of quality, thoughtful design but, inevitably a bit 'samey'. Amazed to find that STILL manufacturers have not standardised the gear arrangement - on one car Reverse was top left and anothe bottom right. Sods law is obviously being well respected - you know, if you have more than one car you can bet your bottom dollar that they have different indicator sides and Reverse in a different place if manual... Power steering on all too light to give any feel actually.

5 What did you think of the off-road driving? Quite good though I ended up with guys and they just got technical - managed to scare the Ford guy a couple of times tho!

6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day? Undoubtedly as it raised my awareness of what new cars can do - now I will be wary of the driver who might be selecting his/her music via the blackberry on a screen on the dashboard rather than looking at the road...surely this must be banned on the driver side? (Also with young children one just stops listening to loud music in the car so it was a bit surreal. The car seat technology is noving forward though which is good to see.

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving? This is where the on board computer really came in handy - though avoiding rapid acceleration and eliminating the need to break by thinking ahead is still the fundamental technique.

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family? Well hey that parallel parking device - not demonstrated alas but in the talk section - is going to revolutionise parking for many of us! Also the sheer distraction of carrying passengers is the biggest factor impairing our driving so Ford are clearly making it so easy you can still manage it. All those airbags sounded a bit daunting though and I hadn't realised how expensive it is to have them replaced if they all go off. Seat flexibility a must as 'friends' waft in and out of our daily activities. The rear seatbelt warning could be good as the passenger can control it and you can avoid the 'nagging' element whilst still being in control.

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car? I can't afford a new car anyway so will not be affected - economical driving and limiting miles will be my biggest contribution here!

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day? Pretty impressive - the Galaxy had great visibility (compared to our people carrier) and was very pleasant to drive.

Yes - I have now ditched my childhood impression of Ford as flashy, fast but rusty and tinny - they are chunky, quality and have some definite design innovation.

1 Load my disabled daughter and her power chair into our WAV and take her and her brother to school, then home again later. Then not go out again because its such a pfaff!

2 Funny, and we DIDN'T talk about MN, mostly about cars!

3 Off-roading grin

4 Mondeo and something smaller. Not memorable.

5 Best bit along with the rally lap.

6 No, the rally stuff pushed us out of our comfort zones and showed us what cars can do!

7 Not much!

8 Err - the ramp at the back of our WAV!?? hmm

9 Vaguely.

10 Fav car was the Focus RS! grin - that's not the answer you want, is it?

11 That their family cars are expensive and not particularly memorable, but the Ranger is very good and they do good rally cars.

I have now outed myself to the pair I went with, haven't I!!!

Oh, yes, we had a great time too - many thanks Ford and Munsmet!!

laundrylover Mon 18-Oct-10 12:38:33

1 What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal Friday? If I have no meetings then it stays parked outside the house. Meeting journeys vary from 20-200 miles though! DP also uses sometimes. We both work freelance so no routine I'm afraid.

2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about? I really enjoyed the whole day as did my sister. We talked about all sorts - kids, cars, Mooncups (!). Oohing and aahing in the portacabin as the Blue Kuga challenge went on was lots of fun. Who could get the back wheel off the ground??!!

3 What was the highlight of your drive day experience? Trying out the Kuga through the cones for sure although the 4 x 4 was fun too if a little sedate!

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them? Kuga and Mondeo. Kuga felt a bit too 'Chelsea Tractor' for my liking with that big bonnet. Mondeo drove nicely but I am not used to all that techy info on the dashboard. Guess you get used to it but do you really need the car to tell you if you cross the white line - shouldn't you notice that yourself?!

5 What did you think of the off-road driving? Good fun but rather embarassing as my sis got stuck on the muddy hump and I stalled at the wheel wash! I also stalled the Kuga after spinning round the course - that's after only a year of driving an automatic blush.

6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day? I think I am quite a safe driver anyway.

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving? That I'm doomed to be inefficient driving my old banger. The Mondeo drove at 60 MPH at only 1.5 revs...my Honda is at 4 revs on the motorway and being automatic you can't do much about it. However a bit more fuel per year on a car that costs a grand will never equate to spending 30k on a new Ford.

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family? Room for our camping stuff. That's it reallyblush.

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car? In an ideal world they are important but for now I'll have to focus on reducing my CO2 emissions elsewhere!

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? They all looked lovely and had lots of great features. I imagine that most new cars would have this effect on me though!

11 Has the experience made you feel any differently about Ford? I am not brand loyal (is that an expression?) to any manufacturer I'm sorry. I liked my Ford Focus estate but last year it died on the way to Scotland at Christmas and we were stranded for 6 hours in the snow. Maybe the day at Donnington made me feel like forgiving Ford grin.

booksgalore Mon 18-Oct-10 12:38:33

Me: 0 mins - don't have a car.
DH: 45-60 min there and back commute.

Fab. I was tryig to guess who people were but I do understand about privacy. It made me think 'I wonder who I 'know' from MN'? Although I wouldn't be very well known as don't post heaps generally read. I have identified a few people though. We talked about children and schools.
The 4x4, the hot lap and the Kuga driving.
We test drove the S-Max and the Galaxy. The S-max handled well and had quite a bit of space inside; enjoyed the drive. The Galaxy was quite plasticky inside for the price (e.g. the tray, the glove compartment door etc) and handled like a van. We didn't like it.
Oh, just thought we did like the mirror in the roof to be able to see the midrow of seats; that was clever.

Fabulous although DH didn't like that the instructor was very cautious and he couldn't go a bit faster.

Interesting about car seat not touching buckle.

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving? Nothing.

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family? Size of boot, room in the back and can you see out of the rear window to be able to park it (without parking sensors - do not like them. the beeping drives me mad).

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car? Very for tax purposes and environmental reasons.

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day?
My favourite would be the truck although would never buy one. I wasn't impressed by the C-max - didn't really see the point of it especially as 3 full seats don't fit across the back. I thought there were other cars that could be bought which were better (although boot space was excellent) and probably cheaper.

No. I have always loved the Focus range and like Ford cars.

I forgot to ask them this question:

What are the safety aspects/ safety record of rear impact collisions in the S-max and Galaxy when all seats occupied? How 'easy' is it to climb through from the 3rd row to the mid-row to be able to get out?
We noticed that when a tall lady sat in the back (can't remember which car) her head nearly touched the rear windscreen.

rubyrubyruby Mon 18-Oct-10 13:00:15

A 2 hour journey to take DS2 to football training.

I loved meeting other mners but have no idea who any of them were. Mostly talked about where we came from and our children.

The RS lap - scariest thing I have ever done.

Galaxy and Fiesta - I have owned both before.

It was great fun and I was impressed with the vehicle.

Not really

I was reminded of what I already know really.

Plenty of room for bags and passengers.

Not as important as they should be.

I love Fords - I have an S-Max but loved the Kuga.

No.

pombear Mon 18-Oct-10 13:07:21

1 A long frustrating commute.

2 Bizarre, as I think a lot of us were concerned about 'outing' ourselves. We mostly talked about cars because of this!

3 Kuga trials amongst the cones, RS hot laps and off-roading experience.

4 was disappointed with the Kuga, and now don't feel at all envious of all those school-mums sitting four foot above the rest of us. The mondeo was surprisingly grown-up and I coveted it,but seeing as it's a grown-up car, and I'm not grown-up, I will admire from afar!

5 It was fantastic fun, and one of the highlights of the day. I felt like the tractor at the local children's farm, when I went down into the muddy puddle! It was less daunting than I thought, and the car did half the work! Loved it!

6 No, but at least I will feel more safe when I'm faced with a newer-model Ford driver coming towards me in the middle of the road! We were quite concerned about the amount of stuff that's on the touch screen nowadays, and how much time people would spend looking at it, rather than the road. The camera technology also was a concern - it doesn't allow for the toddler about to run into the camera's vision, that a human would be aware of, but the camera can't predict. The worry would be that someone would rely too much on the camera rather than their natural peripheral vision.

7 Well unfortunately, this was a real no-brainer (sorry, nice-guy-in-a-suit!). If you brake less hard, stop pressing the speed pedal quite as much, you may save money. it seems the equivalent of spending £30 on a little black box that follows you round the supermarket for a week and then reports back that if you stopped spending quite as much time in the wine aisle, made a list before you went, and stayed away from the offers and the sparkly things, you'd save a bit of money. Duh!

8 Is it safe? Can we get in and out of easily? Is it safe? Is it safe??!!

9 Important, but lower down the list than safety and cost.

10 There's a bit of split between the 'thrash it' factor and the 'family car' factor. Loved the speed of the RS but wouldn't want to join the ranks of young boys idling at the lights going 'look at me'! Mondeo was surprise of the day, as I loved it for the grown-up appeal.

11 Yes. i went along with an extremely cynical view of the 'sell', and didn't enjoy the sell-session. I'm not looking for a huge people-mover, have no plans to buy one, and can only open and shut a door I have no interest in for a short period of time. However, I passed up buying a Zetec a while ago, shamefully swayed by the image of Ford, which is a bit clunky. Whilst I'm happy with the car I have now, I'm more positive about Ford and the design elements they put into their car .

All in all, though, it was a great day, and it's worked in that I'd definitely be more positive towards Ford.

LynetteScavo Mon 18-Oct-10 13:29:50

4 mile school run X 2
quick trip to local supper market to top up shopping.

It was great meeting other Mumsnetters! We , mainly talked about MN, and cars, but the subject of our DCs came up quite a lot.

Driving the Kuga.
(And the party bag blush)

Apart form the Kuga and 4X4, I drove the S Max and rode in the Galaxy. What did I like about them? Well, there was nothing I didn't like, so I guess everything. I found them comfortable, smooth, easy to drive (once I'd got over the shock of driving an automatic) I particularly liked the design of the dashboard, with the shiny finish.

Lots of fun. Very different from what I'd expected. I didn't realise it wasn't exactly like driving any old car on the school run.

Um....well I did manage to drive into another car in Sainsbury's car park at the weekend, so probably not!

Er...that Ford make their cars more fuel efficient these days, and on some cars the engine cuts out when in neutral to save fuel?

Overall safety of the vehicle (airbags, etc, including Isofix)
Space for 3 car seats
Boot space
Cost of running

I'm embarrassed to say not particularly when compared to other factors such as safety and initial cost of the vehicle..

I was very impressed. Overall my favourite car of the day was the Kuga, but I'm seriously considering buying an S Max.

Yes, very differently. I was surprised by the quality of the cars I saw.
I've never owned a Ford, and actually would never have considered looking at Fords before. I'd have been far more likely to wander towards the Renault Garage for a car to drive the children around.

BOOamireally Mon 18-Oct-10 13:51:13

1. Usual car journey on a Friday - 35 mile round trip to work, 100 miles for DH grin

2. I loved meeting other MNetters - we had a good chat about our cars, a few about our kids, but vitually none about who we were on MN. I did ask llareggub who fessed up but that was it. I think if people had wanted to volunteer the info then it was their choice to do it!

3. Highlight of the day - offroading. Never done it before! And yes, the party bag wink I'd be lying if I said it wasn't!

4. Test drove the S Max and the Kuga. I am having a lust affair with the Kuga and have been stalking it on the Ford website to try and work out if we can afford one....

I did comment that the emergency phone number should be somewhere prominent in the test drive car, instead of very very small at the bottom of a long written list of directions. And it should say 'If you break down or are in an accident ring this number' as if either of those things happen you are unlikely to be thinking completely straight and need it spelt out to you!

5. I loved the offroading - made me realise that cars can do other things than just get you from home to the supermarket and back!! Very impressed at some of the technology which had gone into those cars. You just take it all for granted really.

6. Safer driver - hmmm not really - if we'd been able to try the autopark function on the CMax I might be able to class myself as a safer parker!! wink

7. I was quite impressed with the Eco gadget thingy and was thinking about giving it a go. However, disappointed to see it is linked to a 'premium' fuel - no doubt usage of the premium diesel/ petrol is built into calculating your eco savings? No way am I going to pay a penny more for my fuel than I have to so I've sort of written that off already.

8. Vehicle features - reliability. low running costs. accident protection systems. Quick to heat up and demist/ deice - important now it's colder. A bit of a kick so I can burn off the odd boy racer at the lights wink

9. I don't think about Co2 emissions as I don't have a company car - but it is crucial for DH. He bought his last car (a Vauxhall INsignia estate) on the strength of its emission rating.

10. We loved the Kuga, I felt very safe being slightly higher up, lots of space, but still sporty. Was distinctly underwhelmed by the CMax despite the autopark - I just couldn't see what it had to offer over the rest of the range - didn't have the space of the SMax, or the sportiness of the Focus. I would love to be convinced otherwise grin

11. Yes - I came away with the feeling that Ford are genuinely interested in finding out what families are looking for in a car. We are much more inclined to look at a Ford to replace my Fiesta in the next year or so....

CMOTdibbler Mon 18-Oct-10 13:55:13

It can be anything from 30 minutes taking ds to school and back to a 400 mile round trip to a meeting - work can take me anywhere

2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about
Fab! Talked about all sorts of things including waterproof and warm coats grin

Dh dring me round in the Kuga on the esp bit

Mondeo - really not good for me tbh, the automatic was nowhere near as good as my current cars, but I did like the interface. And Kuga - too small inside as dh is v tall

Great - I loved proving I could drive round when I can only use one hand

No

Nothing

Performance, comfort and safety

Fairly

I don't really need a 'family' car, but Ford seem to be upping their game now. My favourite was the Ranger

Yes, it has made me think better of them.

BOOamireally Mon 18-Oct-10 13:58:38

Oh forgot to say that I didn't like the way most (all?) of the test drive cars were automatic! I loathe automatics, don't feel properly in charge.

Probably wouldn't use the car on a Friday although might go on approx 10 mile round trip to supermarket etc

Was great meeting other Mumsnetters Talked about children, car seats, cars etc.

Highlight was definitely driving the Kuga in the ESP part. Have decided I need to go on some sort of day where I can throw cars around again grin. Although there would also need to be my entourage cheering me as I left the car (thank you yellows grin)

Drove the Mondeo, SMax, Ranger and Kuga. Mondeo was very nice - had lots of gadgets and I could see the parking one being useful. Had not realised cars could come with a video bit for reversing. SMax was very sluggish to pull away - I wanted more umph.

Off road driving was good although I was a little nervous. Had comedy moment of instructor telling me to not accelerate. I obviously accelerated and the wheels span as I tried to go up a slope grin

Not sure really. As I did the ESP part last, as I left Donington Park I did have the temptation to throw my car around corners blush.

Not much really - think we were quoted statistics for the difference in fuel consumption at different speeds but I basically knew those anyway. There was quite a strong plug for Ford's eco thing to go under the dashboard but as we don't have a Ford that wasn't of interest to me

There's four of us so need something bigger than a two seater sports car. Children are out of buggies now so don't need as much space as we used to. Tbh, for us cost is a very important feature - there is no way we could spend the £25k list price of an SMax on a car.

Really not something we consider when getting a car as we are never likely to get a "new" one.

Favourite bit of driving was the Kuga but wouldn't be getting that in real life grin
New range of vehicles seemed fine but I think we do get slightly conned into the idea that you "need" a people carrier. The complicated arrangement of seats possible in the CMax for example seemed unnecessary to me, but maybe if we had more children I would see it differently. Also there is the chance of them playing large musical instruments I suppose.

Not really - we did have Fiestas about 12 years ago but after two separate incidents of steering racks breaking (two different cars) we went off them rather a lot. We would probably only be in the market for a well used Focus or Fiesta and I would be wary due to the steering rack problems.

It was an excellent day - can I go again - please? grin

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Oct-10 16:12:19

booamireally - in response to your comment about the Econo check, Ford have asked me to pass on the following comment "The link to the Premium fuel was only as a promotional giveaway and has nothing to do with the Econo Check report itself. You receive a FREE £15 BP Ultimate fuel cashback voucher when you take an Econo Check, along with a voucher for £15 off your next service. The reason we went with BP Ultimate is because you get more miles per tank as the premium fuel helps the engine run more efficiently. You do not need to use premium fuel to have an Econo Check. The Econo Check report looks at how you drive and not the specific vehicle you are driving. Whatever vehicle you drive, you can choose to drive it efficiently or inefficiently and Econo Check is about trying to help everyone realise the full efficiency potential of their vehicle."

pinkem Mon 18-Oct-10 16:12:50

1 15 miles total for shopping.

2 Everyone was very friendly and easy to talk to. I think if the husbands/partners were not there then more people would have outed themselves. We talked about where we had travlled from, cars, children and some mumsnet stuff.

3 Loved the hot lap in the RS, the off roading and especially the Kuga driving as we had the chance to do something we would not be able to do normally.

4 I drove the SMax which was really nice, slightly flat at the top end though. I also drove the Mondeo diesel (top of the range) great car, smooth drive, looks impressive the boot is massive or as dh put it 'you could get at least 3 bodies in there'!!

5 Loved the off road driving, instructor was great at explaining the rangers strengths, I wanted to continue going round.

6 Not really I was a safe driver before the day, well I hope so!

7 Things I already knew; not braking at the last minute, using your gears properly etc.

8 Looks, power, size.

9 Fairly important but not the first thing I think about.

10 Ford are improving their range all the time, my favourite car was obviously the RS however the car that would fit the bill for our family was the Mondeo.

11 Not really. The only thing that was highlighted to me on the day was that options that are standard on many other makes are only available at extra cost on a Ford.

Dh and I had a great day I think we should make it a regular occurance!grin

jacs66 Mon 18-Oct-10 16:40:02

1 What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal Friday? 2 x school runs for me, total 1 hour driving. For friend - similar but twice the distance, and twice the time, plus evening runabout to activities.

2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about? Great - everyone is so normal! Not sure what I was expecting, but I was a "thread-posting virgin" and had not met any of you in the flesh. hmm. Talked about where from, and a good early moan about the dropping of child benefit kicked our table off over the bacon butties.

3 What was the highlight of your drive day experience? The speed lap in the RS - Wow, and thanks Sarah! Driving the Kuga around the cones was pretty exciting too, although another lap would have helped give the confidence to fling it about a bit more (perhaps they knew that and that's why they limited us to one lap each!!).

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them? Kuga and Fiesta. LOVED the Kuga. Everything about it. Really fancy one now. Hated the Fiesta - felt so gutless and plasticcy after the Kuga.

5 What did you think of the off-road driving? Coooo...oool.

6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day? Not particularly - but then I don't think the day was particularly aimed at that was it. Did I miss something?

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving? Again, not really. If you don't know by now about more efficient driving as far as economy goes, then you clearly aren't having to watch the pennies. However, it is mindnumbingly dull driving everywhere at sub-2000 revs and gliding up to junctions from half a mile out to reduce the whole gas/brakey thing.

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family? Safety is high up there. Looks definitely. Cost of running it (mainly tax and economy). Function is probably the main point though. As a family we need two (more ideally) completely different cars. One cheap-as-chips-to-run school run car, ideally easy to squeeze into small gaps, easy to get the kids in and out of, and a second family car for when we go away which needs to be comfortable for longer journeys, but big enough to fit all the kit in, including bikes.

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car? Very in the little school run mobile. Lower CO2 = lower tax.

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day? Adored the Kuga. Still unimpressed by the Galaxy (still too like a minibus). Impressed by the S and C-max. Mondeo - lacking in character. Fiesta - impressive figures for cost to run, but, as above, gutless and plasticcy to drive.

11 Has the experience made you feel any differently about Ford? Yes. Still not impressed with the looks of half the range (the mid lot) but very impressed with the innovation that is coming through into them. The ESP on the Kuga was seriously good.

Hope that helps.

Had a fantastic day - a huge thanks to Mumsnet and Ford. When is the next one?

ChippyMinton Mon 18-Oct-10 17:56:29

1 What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal Friday? No work on a Friday, so most likely to be a 6-mile round trip to the shops.

2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about? Great fun, as usual. Subjects covered the spectrum from the (high) quality of the bacon sarnies to mooncups(!)

3 What was the highlight of your drive day experience? Hard to choose between the off-roading and the hot laps. Both left me grinning maniacally.

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them? Fiesta - pretty in pink but horribly underpowered. Galaxy automatic - smooth, large and v. glamorous for a people-carrier. Kuga - well, it stayed upright, so I guess it's safe, not pretty though, and cramped in the back.

5 What did you think of the off-road driving? The best fun I've ever had on four wheels (or three for some of the time). Doug is an excellent and v.patient instructor. And I want a Ranger for Xmas please.

6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day? Not really. Good to know that the cars have built-in protection.

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving? Er, nothing, but I will soon when I get the Econocheck gadget fitted.

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family? Safety. Economy. THREE proper seats in the middle row. Flexibility and load-carrying capacity. Oh, and it has to look nice too wink.

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car? On balance, not a deal-breaker. Tax is a minimal % of running costs.

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day? Roll out the sliding doors on all the family cars (CMAX, SMAX, GALAXY). Disappointed by the CMAX Grand - it's not even a proper 5-seater, let alone carrying 7 and a pushchair/picnic/shopping.

11 Has the experience made you feel any differently about Ford? I <heart> Ford even more smile

choufleur Mon 18-Oct-10 19:27:49

1 What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal Friday? Drive to near city centre, takes about 30mins in not too bad traffic.

2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about? It was really nice to meet other MNers but I wish I'd asked people what their MN names were. Talked about where we'd come from mostly.

3 What was the highlight of your drive day experience? Driving the Kugas. I could have done that many more times.

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them? Galaxy and Fiesta. Galaxy was really nice but not something I would ever consider buying: it's just too large. The Fiesta was very nippy.

Really enjoyed off roading and our instructor was great (he was an instructor from Silverstone).

6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day? Not really.

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving? Nothing.

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family? Safety. Fuel efficiency.

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car? Fairly, but it wouldn't stop me buying a car. I'm more bothered by running costs.

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day? Good overall, but I would have like to have seen the Focus.

I have been to look at the KA since the day as I'm looking for a small car. I don't think I would have considered it if I hadn't been.

PosieComeHereMyPreciousParker Mon 18-Oct-10 19:33:20

Two school drops offs, about 15 minutes each.

Brilliant, started the day discussing civil servants and politics, finished talking about Ford Focus and Kugas.

Hard to say, off roading and the RS.

I drove the Galaxy, loved the automatic, the storage in the interior roof space, comfortable, lovely dash, user friendly controls and the MP3 stuff.

Really good but could have done it ten times!!

Not sure.

That it can be done!! Although I listen to Jezza Vine and he frequently talks about money saving ways of driving.

SAfety and space.

Very.

Galaxy for my needs, but I loved the Smax.

I have never considered owning a Ford before, despite knowing that their prices are good as I had assumed that they would be plastically and rubbish. However I now think when I renew my car I will be test driving the Galaxy and only if we decide to have something with 8 seats would I not get one!!

HeadlessLadyBiscuit Mon 18-Oct-10 20:00:08

About 10m each way to work (takes about 40 mins-hour - traffic!)

Bit nervous at first but cars, our kids, clothes

Kuga driving - I absolutely loved it (although my back isn't too impressed so I think my career as a rally driver is over before it's even started)

Galaxy and Focus. Galaxy was great for something that was pretty much a van - didn't feel that big and was very easy to drive (although I hate automatic gearboxes). Focus (although maybe it wasn't a Focus, given what Mal has said?) much more fun (was the two door bright blue one if that helps?)

I really enjoyed it and was amazed at how well-balanced the Ranger was and how easy to drive in difficult situations

6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day? Probably not really although if I had a car with ESP it would make me feel less nervous about skidding

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving? That cars with smaller engines are much more fuel efficient (didn't realise how much more)

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family? Flexibility of space, safety features, aircon

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car? Very, not just environmentally but obv because of the fuel tax

Much better than expected. I've always thought of Fords as being safe but a bit boring so was very pleasantly surprised. Kuga (although the name is ridiculous )

11 Has the experience made you feel any differently about Ford? Yes, see 10

Thanks very much again - it really was a fabulous day

HeadlessLadyBiscuit Mon 18-Oct-10 20:01:25

Sorry, it was a Fiesta, not a Focus. Doh

llareggub Mon 18-Oct-10 21:46:39

What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal Friday?

No set pattern on a Friday, but I usually drive to take my sons for a day out. I have pre-schoolers so no school run here.

I really enjoyed meeting other mumsnetters and weirdly met someone who goes to the same gym as me. I didn't particularly mind sharing my Mumsnet name but everyone was surprisingly coy! We talked about cars, bags, driving and our home towns. No mooncup discussions here.

The off-roading, definitely. My husband and I both really appreciated the opportunity to have a day out together without the children. We'll definitely repeat that!

Apart from the Ranger and the Kuga, we test-drove a Mondeo Estate and the Ford Kuga. I thought the Mondeo was alright, but a bit boring (sorry) and I like the Ford Kuga. I liked the computer console thing.

5 What did you think of the off-road driving? ]

Fan-bloody-tastic

No

NOthing

Safety and space.

Very

I liked them but I find it difficult to get terribly excited about them. They do the job, but they won't satisfy die-hard car fans. I did like the self-parking car.

Yes, to an extent, but then my first car was a Fiesta so Ford are definitely on my list of preferred car brands. Ford have clearly put some thought into the needs of the parent market.

It was a wonderfully organised event and the Ford team were brilliant.

lightlyscrambled Mon 18-Oct-10 21:57:38

Pottering about - shops/park/friends etc. 20 miles max.

Interesting and slightly surreal! Safe topics like children, where we were from, our jobs etc., avoiding subject of nicknames!
W
Loved loved loved the hot laps grin
Annoyed with myself for not driving the Kuga hard enough. My granny could have done it faster and I really wanted another go to redeem myself!

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them? S-Max and Galaxy. Impressed with S-Max and it would be high on the list if we decided to buy a people carrier rather than a large estate. Galaxy just far too big for our needs.

Fun but a bit tame and over too soon - understandable though, given the numbers and tight schedule.

Probably not.

Nothing I didn't already know

Safety, car-seat compatibility, comfort, performance, economy

Averagely important. If you can afford a new car the differences in road tax won't be as much of an issue than if you are on a budget buying a used car. I would consider environmental implications but wouldn't buy an underpowered vehicle as I would feel this to be a safety risk

I am already a fan of the new Mondeo - my DH drives one now and I had one as a company car in which I did 35k miles a year - the best car I have ever driven.
Liked the S-Max, not sure where the C-Max really fits - the boot would be much too small and if we were buying in this price bracket we'd go for a bigger estate car.

Not really as I already had a fairly positive view

shakingleaf Mon 18-Oct-10 22:43:16

1. 7 mile round trip to school morning and afternoon.

2. Not as daunting as I’d expected! It was nice to see one familiar face. Everyone was really friendly. Mostly talked about cars plus a bit about choosing schools and of course our children.

3. The off road driving followed by RS.

4. Kuga and Galaxy on road test. Overall space and flexibility in Galaxy. Everything else I disliked blush

5. Best event of the day. I was impressed by the capabilities of the Ranger in low-range.

6. No!

7. Nothing I’d not already heard about.

8. Price, large boot space, safely fit in 3 high back boosters and still reach the belt plugs, sporty drive, good fuel consumption.

9. If I were ever to buy a “new” car - reasonably important due to road tax level and fuel consumption rates.

10. Why are they all pushing us towards people carriers which I personally don’t rate? Dislike the shape, drive and road holding. There didn’t seem to be any estate style family car capable of comfortably accommodating 3 child seats on 2nd row with a good sized boot in the range. Favourite car was the Ranger!

11. No, I’ve never been a fan and am still not. Unfortunately the interiors feel and look cheap e.g. the shiny plastic surround on the Galaxy was already scratched from pulling the handbrake after only ca. 250 miles on the car. I wouldn’t want to pay £30k let alone £10k for that level of finish. Spend a lot of time in the car so want to like what I see. Also the choice of petrol engine on the demonstrator didn’t benefit the car. For size and weight of car it needed more low end torque. Then again the Kuga had a 160PS diesel engine but given the slack driving performance it was hard to believe it has more power than the 130PS Audi A6 I currently drive.

In spite of the feedback, I did have lots of fun and enjoyed the day overall. Many thanks MN & Ford.

fishewen Tue 19-Oct-10 10:14:45

When will the photos be on?

No such thing as a normal car journey. My DC are 18 and 15, so no school run here. I'm either at home with the car parked outside (I work from home) or can be driving anywhere in the country to a client meeting.

It was good to catch up with some familiar names/faces - but I would really have liked it if we could have had our MN names on our badges as well - I think we were all a bit too aware that some didn't want to out themselves, so didn't ask! We talked about where we'd come from, what we'd done during the day, what the experiences were like.

I loved the off-roading, and would have really enjoyed doing more of that.

The S-Max and the Mondeo estate. I wanted to drive a Kuga, but there weren't any available. I liked driving them both, especially the S-Max but I would have preferred it if they were manual models. I am starting my research for our next car (hopefully next year!), and if I was to do a test drive there is no way I'd take out an automatic car. It just doesn't compare with a manual model.

Fantastic fun

No - if anything, the ESP/Kuga demonstration made me realise just how cautious I am!

Nothing.

Space in the boot for 2 sets of golf clubs and luggage! Speed/good performance for motorway driving, and comfort for long journeys.

Air con and preferably climate control. Definitely sat nav/built in bluetooth gadgets - my car is nearly 10 years old so doesn't have any of these and I can't wait to get them!

Reasonably

They all look a bit similar - I wasn't really sure how much of a difference there was between the C-Max Grande, the S-Max and the Galaxy.

I loved driving the Kuga and wish I'd had more time to do that. I was focused too much on driving at/avoiding cones to think about the car itself.

I would certain consider switching from Vauxhall (my current car) to Ford - but I am someone who will do thorough research before I make a decision. Nice, gooey feelings towards Ford (of which I have many, after Friday) will not stop me making a decision about buying another model. (Sorry)

Above all though, thank you for the day and the hospitality - it was very much enoyed and appreciated.

stantonjulie Tue 19-Oct-10 19:58:28

I don't use the car on a Friday! I go to work by train and tube.

It was fun - a first for me and nice as have been back at work full time since April so don't see my mum friends so much anymore. We talked about work mainly and how hard it is to balance fulltime/part-time with childcare.

Definitely the offroad.

Can't remember what the offroader was called but that was great. Big, high and comfortable. Bit impractical for London perhaps!

Kuga - too sensible for me.

Focus RS - now that was more fun (although technically I didn't drive it!)

Mondeo Estate top of range - my Dad chose this as he likes the Mondeo and used to often drive one when he did some casual work for a local Ford dealership. We then drove the SMAX which was also a pleasant surprise.

Fab fab fab.

Possibly. My current car in an automatic so found driving manuals a bit scary.

A little.

Size, safety and reliability.

Depends - not at the complete expense of performance. Somewhere in between.

I'm not really a big fan of the people carrier so has to be the off-roader.

Yes, impressed by performance.

Thanks for organising Mumsnet. A great day out.

Rumpleneckskin Tue 19-Oct-10 22:45:55

An hour each way driving to the office using the motorway, country roads and some town driving. Some days I visit other sites and this can involve driving most of the day.

We talked about where we were from and how long it had taken us to get to Donington - anything rather than who we were on Mumsnet!

The off road driving. I had no idea how much I would enjoy doing it and I can't wait to do it again.

Mondeo - I didn't like anything about this car really.
SMax - I liked this one. Bit of a delay when pulling away but that might just have been due to my inexperience with automatics. Liked the smooth ride, the shape of the car and the driving position (I am very short)

I loved it. It was better than chocolate.

No

Nothing

Safety, space, good fuel consumption

Fairly

The Kuga was my favourite. The ESP braking system was amazing.
I didn't get the chance to test drive the full range of family vehicles.

Yes. I have owned three Fords the last of which was a Fusion bought six years ago. Things have moved on a lot with Ford since I bought my Fusion.

Thank you Mumsnet and Ford, it was a fabulous day and I loved it. And Lady in Red, we were in awe of you!!!

BonzoDooDah Tue 19-Oct-10 23:20:01

Thanks for a super day our MN and Ford - we had a great day.

Commute to nursery (1 mile) then another 3 miles to work in rushhour traffic. Then back again.

Ooh lots of things - cars, children, portaloos, the smoking types, whether that woman [point fingers and camera] was using the disabled loo or not ...

Oh undoubtably the RS drive. Fabulous! I have a new hero (Sarah Reader). She's amazing and wow. I grazed my knee falling out of the car afterwards!

4x4 jobbie was really good fun. I liked all the anti-stall devices and that you could just let the car get on with it and drive you out of the tricky bit. The Galxy - okay if you wanted a big monster car - impressed with the seat folding and 3 isofixes on the middle row (Trip-parents must love them)
Kuga was fun to drive on the proper roads though I'd have preferred to try a car with gears - still it handled really well and not like the big lump that it looked like.
The fiesta was okay too though nothing special. Cornered well and accelerated nicely.

FAAAAAAB!!!! Thought the car was going to tip on its roof but the instructor informed us it was way off (we were at 27 degrees and you need to get to 48!) But we had a good try. Driving up the mad hills with foot off the accelerator and hte car knowing what to do was amazing. And somehow going sideways round the corners in the thick mud - Great. The instructor was great too. Not patronising but very reassuring.

Erm .. no. Why should I be? I'd been trying to tip cars over and racing and swerving fast things at high speed.

Nowt! They mentioned some sort of program / gadgetty widget you could fit to your car and it would monitor your driving and then tell you how to improve. but they didn't actually tell us any tips at the session (as far as I remember)

Space in the boot for holidaying with travel cot/ pram etc. Comfortable seats for long journey to see distant relatives.

Emissions - don't think of them much except to try and get fairly low - more bothered about fuel consumption (not the same is it?)

As someone else said - I wasn't there to buy a car and there's no way I'd buy one of those hulking great Galaxy thingies but it was fun to see the new gadegts for people who can't drive parallel parking. I mean the thing tells you which space fits the car and then puts it in there. DH said he'd only be slightly more impressed if the wheels turned through 90 degrees and the car moved in sideways!

I was fairly impressed with the cars we saw though. After only seeing Sierras and Fiascos Fiestas in the past and then not having much experience of them I was pleasantly impressed. I'd love a Focus RS but would have to hand over my driving licence with the log book as it would just be a fast route to instant driving ban for speeding.
I'd be most likely to buy a Focus out of all the cars I saw except the boot is much smaller that an Astra (similar size Vauxhall family car) and that's what counts most at the moment.

Yup - think they are a lot more "buyable" than I'd previously thought. I am seriously impressed with the zero carbon emmisions /total wind energy Daganham site. And am impressed with the new tricks and features the cars have.

That said I wasn't impressed with the sales rep who gave us our talk and told us we could use the Galaxy "to go to coffee mornings" angry and later that another car was "good if your husband drives a lot" [seeth] I did mention to someone from Ford that if he wanted to keep his teeth in the next presentations he'd better buck up. Although points up for not mentioning we could do our makeup in the rear view mirror hmm

jjuice Wed 20-Oct-10 09:28:59

Take DS to school then carry on to work back for DS maybe call at shops on way home.Only about 5-6 miles in total In the evening I collect for a local charity so if I am driving I could drive maybe 20-30 miles.
2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about
I have only just joined mumsnet as I came with my sister. I did chat a lot with other mums though...mostly about what fun we were having.
Kuga and Focus RS without a doubt although the off roading was brilliant fun too.
We took out a Fiesta and a Kuga. Both were a nice smooth drive. I already loved the Kuga...now I neeeeeeeed one.
Absolutely brilliant fun. It was interesting to see just how far you could push the vehicle and still feel safe.
Not really...you can't improve on perfection can you? wink
Not a lot. Not a lot. I already know whats best...it's putting it into practice that's the tricky bit.
Safety, 4x4 (for jetski on beach and the hills we live in when it snows...we tend to shop for the street) Size , Performance, Deprecition.
um...ish.
I was very impressed with the S-Max and C-Max but my fave was def the Kuga by a mile.
(The RS Focus would lose me my driving licence)
Yes. I have always liked Ford cars as they are not Tinny and boxy like some I shall not mention. But I was very impressed with a lot of the new safety and design features on the new range (NOT I must add the parking and blind spot design...as my sister said....just learn to drive properly!)
I thought the day was brilliantly organised and ran very smoothly. I had half expected a very boring day with maybe a half hour of fun. Whereas we had a fun packed brilliant day with just a little bit of sitting and listening.
Well done Mumsnet and well done Ford. Thank you.

silverfrog Wed 20-Oct-10 13:32:41

1 What would be a usual car journey for you on a normal Friday? School run x2 (incorporates motorway, about town and seriously narrow single lane only and only then if you are lucky country lanes) - 15 miles each way. then probably either a quick trip into town, or a drive up into central (as in very central) London if dd1 has a therapy appointment.

2 What was it like meeting other Mumsnetters and what did you talk about? It was a nice day. we chatted about this and that, not really about MN much.

3 What was the highlight of your drive day experience? The off roading was good. I loved the ESP Kuga bit though - was very interesting to see how well cars cope with situations like that

4 What cars did you drive and what did you like about them? For the road test, we drove the Galaxy and the Kuga. The Galaxy was ok. It's a people carrier, reasonably comfortable. Still can't get past the overlooking of Isofix issues, though (although this has at least been partially solved now that it is present on all 3 middle seats. Bit hmm that the experts on the day, who apparently knew all there was to kno about the cars, didn't know this hmm). The Kuga I thought had a hideous lag when setting off. Really put me off, although I would in any case be looking at a manual not an automatic if we were to buy one. Did like the Kuga though - thought it performed very well in the ESP test, and felt nice and together as a car.

It was a good laugh. dh & I are no strangerto this anyway, but it was good fun. LIke the anti-stall, and the climbing steps bit - nice little gizmo.

6 Do you think you'll be a safer driver after attending the day? I think I was a fairly safe driver anyway (who doesn't ?) But I din't hink I learnt anything that would make me a safer driver in particular.

7 What did you discover about more fuel-efficient driving? Not a lot more than I already knew. The Econo-check thingy would be interesting from an analysing driving style pov.

8 What vehicle features are most important for your family? Safety, safety, safety. And then space (dd2 is still in a rear facing toddler seat - they take up room!), and we have 2 teens and 2 littlies - makes car buying tricky, if you want to use Isofix seats, as entry to the rearmost seats is restricted.

9 How important are lower CO2 emissions when choosing a new car? Not massively - we go by safety/space (and then driving features as well)

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day? They were ok. Like the way the middle seat folds away on the new C-Max, very neat (although the car si too small for us anyway). The Galaxy and S-max we have looked at before and rejected on suitability grounds.

Liked the Kuga, a lot (apart form the ridiculous lag) Would be a possibility as a replacement for my car, I guess (Honda CRV), once dd2 moves out of her rear facing seat.

11 Has the experience made you feel any differently about Ford? Not hugely. It was a lovely day, and great fun. But the cars just still don't quite suit us, unfortunately (currently have Honda CRV, and a Mercedes Viano)

Thank you to Mumnset and to Ford, dh & I had a great day smile

pinksancerre Wed 20-Oct-10 19:28:49

30 miles round trip for work then any meetings/visits I need to do inbetween
dh - 30 miles round trip

Good, everyone was lovely. No discussion about mumsnet nicknames!

Off roading

The fiesta, nice and nippy, but high OTR price for a fiesta, high spec. S Max, comfortable drive, nice interior

Fabulous, and very calm instructor when I got stuck on a hill blush

Think I was quite safe, but good to learn how the safety technology works in practice

Pretty common sense, nothing specific
Side impact technology as my dc are out of car seats

getting more important with the tax changes

10 How did you rate the new range of Ford family vehicles? What was your favourite car of the day? C max and the parking technology!!! Brought ford into our radar

11 Has the experience made you feel any differently about Ford? Yes,hadn't looked at Ford since selling my Focus in 2005

pinksancerre Wed 20-Oct-10 19:29:34

Fab day too, Thank you Mumsnet and all the mumsnetters who went! grin

danabu Wed 20-Oct-10 20:47:35

1. A normal Friday: taking my boys to nursery a couple of miles away in the morning, then onto work a further 4 miles. Repeated in the evening in reverse

2. Other mumsnetters: it was great to meet them, those I talked to we friendly and quite normal. Only really had chance to talk about journey there (how far / traffic etc) and childcare arrangements for the day

3. Highlight: I really enjoyed throwing the Kuga around the slalom

4. Which cars I drove: S max and Kuga. The s-max felt spacious inside but didn't feel like a bus to drive, and I liked the driving position in the Kuga

5. Off road driving: great fun, and a good lesson on not trying to do to much on a slippery surface when natural instinct is to try and put more power on

6. Safer driver: I think I already am pretty safe, but I certainly learned stuff in the car seat fitting bit that I wasn't aware of previously

7. Fuel efficient driving: all I recall is that Ford are managing to get more performance out of smaller engines

8. Important vehicle features: safety, style, performance

9. Lower CO2 emissions: fairly important as can make quite a difference to road tax and also the tax on any company car I choose

10. Range of ford family vehicles: seems to be something for everyone, my favourite was the Kuga

11. Think differently of Ford: yes, previously never had a particularly high opinion and wasn't a make that we would buy through choice, but would definitely consider their vehicles now

sherby Thu 21-Oct-10 22:21:46

I don't usually use the car in the week.

Very interesting since it is my DW who is the MNer!, mostly talked about the days driving.

Hot lap in the RS

Mondeo - Lovely car, amazing technology

Great fun, very impressed with the ranger.

No grin

Was pretty knowledgable to start with!

Safety and size

Quite important

Favourite car was the S-Max, very impressed with the range and new technology

No, we have always driven Fords!

sherby Thu 21-Oct-10 22:22:39

Any idea when photos/interviews will be up, very interested in seeing what DH got up to on the day!

I'm sure I saw an orange box on the right hand side that said something about cars but I wasn't concentrating. Will scour around and see if I can find anything

Think it was only the reviews for the Fords that got tested last year in the snow.

Will keep waiting

shakingleaf Fri 22-Oct-10 21:50:57

noah did you notice anyone else get collared for their views on the day at the end? I'm blush at my daft "fun" rambling that was taped.

I'd forgotten that blush.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Oct-10 22:37:34

photos should be up early next week...we'll post a link on the feedback thread

shakingleaf Fri 22-Oct-10 22:43:35

think'll be time for another namechange then!

satine Thu 28-Oct-10 12:43:10

Have I missed the photos link?

(Sorry to keep on about it....)

sherby Thu 28-Oct-10 14:30:09

I don't think they have been put yet

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Oct-10 14:02:34

sorry - we're just sorting them - will def post a link here when up.

hobbgoblin Fri 29-Oct-10 20:32:48

To school (less than a mile) then on to town (3 miles) then home. Later to the bank (4 miles, school run, home)

Great, wish I'd asked who more people were. I think we talked about the fast bit and car seats, plus clothing of men versus women. hmm

The ESP bit, by far. We are booking a rally day now...grin

We drove Mondeo the slower one I think) and liked plus the Galaxy. Loved space in Galaxy, it had a very roomy airy feel. However, both cars felt uncomfortable to me and DP and we did not feel they had supportive seats. Maybe we are bad drivers! Compared to last automatic I drove (VW passat sport version) a little sluggish.

I hated it. DP liked. This is because I was rubbish at it.

No. I will be tempted to handbrake turn in order to try out the ESP thingy on my car.

Oh, that talk bit was v. interesting. I want one of those monitors on my car.

Safety, space for children AND luggage - ISofix flexibility, and enhanced protection THROUGHOUT the car since our precious children use all 6 rear seats on a daily basis.

Quite important so long as not affecting the overall price too much then we would prioritise this.

I'm afraid the only vehicle (which we didn't drive) that we would be tempted by is the S Max. We plan to book a test drive. The Galaxy, despite room lacked finesse and the other vehicles, though impressive safety wise and for family thoughtfulness lacked finesse for their price we thought. Sorry!

I think we both feel that Ford is now clearly focusing on suitability of its vehicles for families but we do not think value for money has improved. Ford remains a robust economical option but if anything has moved slightly away from that in our opinions.

BonzoDooDah Mon 01-Nov-10 17:58:19

taps fingers eagerly ... come on MNHQ .....

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Nov-10 16:33:34

Hi
Photos here - enjoy!
Ann

BonzoDooDah Wed 03-Nov-10 10:41:11

Oh super - lovely pics thanks. I have to say the Off-road vehicles look a lot cleaner than they did when we finished with them grin

Now can we start nagging about when the video will be available?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 12-Nov-10 12:53:51

Video live here now. Sorry for the delay.

BonzoDooDah Fri 12-Nov-10 15:52:34

Woooo Hooooooo
Takes me back to that ride round in the RS! Wanna do it again!!!!

sherby Sun 14-Nov-10 20:37:37

Ha just seen the video, looks like a good day!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 26-Nov-10 21:02:33

More pictures have been loaded up now on Ford MN pages - click on 'see the pictures' under the Donington bit and scroll down to the link at the bottom of the page.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now