This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED: Fairy is 50! We want to know what you used to make from old Fairy bottles. Space rocket? Snowman? Tell us and you could win a year's supply of Fairy!

(179 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Feb-10 11:44:47

Fairy turns 50 this year and to mark the occasion it's bringing back the iconic white bottle as a limited edition - look out for it on supermarket shelves from next week.

In the meantime, they're asking for your stories about the original Fairy bottles - did you (or your siblings) make a rocket, plane or crayon holder?

Do you remember John ("here's one I made earlier") Noakes on Blue Peter using one to make the Blue Peter rocket?

Did you want to make something but, just like the ad, your mum never seemed to have an empty bottle? What did you yearn to make?

We'd like you to take a sudsy trip down memory lane. The best stories will win a year's supply of 'mi-ild green, Fair-ry Liquid'!

And if you have (or could take) a photo of a Fairy bottle craft-y-creation still knocking around from the past few decades, please email it to insight@mumsnet.com.

Your stories will be used in the Mumsnet Fairy microsite, which is coming soon (featuring new crafty Fairy creations!).

If you're selected to win one of the prizes, we'll look up your email address and get in touch by 12 February 2010.

Thanks and good luck,
MNHQ

TheElephant Thu 04-Feb-10 11:46:31

er a squirter to attack your brother?
dull eh?

TheElephant Thu 04-Feb-10 11:46:59

would i win with a device to use a la turkey baster? ( inemination_

bran Thu 04-Feb-10 11:57:48

How many bottles is a year's supply of Fairy? I bought a special offer 3-for-2 in late 2006 and I still have most of the third bottle left. So a year's supply would probably be about 50 pence worth for me. grin

We always used to make rockets or the turrets of castles out of them. But Fairy bottles are the wrong shape for that now.

YouLukaAmazing Thu 04-Feb-10 11:59:55

Message withdrawn

shonaspurtle Thu 04-Feb-10 12:00:11

I made the Blue Peter snowman (scrunched up tissues all over for the snow).

That was a rare treat though. My mum used to cut the Fairy bottle in half to make sure she got all of it out sad.

YouLukaAmazing Thu 04-Feb-10 12:03:23

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Thu 04-Feb-10 12:10:47

I remember making pencil pots from them. Would cut the tops of them and then decorate the outsides with all sorts of stuff.

hobbgoblin Thu 04-Feb-10 12:12:53

Ahhhahahhahha... my parents used to cut the bottle in two too. And add water to the remains to make them go further.

We just used to use the bottles at the end of their life as magic fairy bubble producers. You get loads of fairy-esque bubbles after you add a bit of water and squeeze gently hmm

Now, me and the DC do the Fairy song at bath time. (When I was little we used to recreate the Camay advert in the bath) 'For leggies that do dishes that are soft as your face...' replacing with various body parts.

They especially love if I let them include willies in the lyrics. <odd family>

TheElephant Thu 04-Feb-10 12:13:34

yes in two too
and mum washed out freezer bags

Cyb Thu 04-Feb-10 12:15:29

I read in one of those top tips books if you tip half out and refill with water, pop in your airing cupboard it will magaically thicken and become proper fairy liquid again. So you get twice as much.

A bit like those ropey friendship cakes that did the rounds in the 70's and 80's

babster Thu 04-Feb-10 12:20:30

I remember making a Dougal (Magic Roundabout) - perhaps it was a Blue Peter creation? Cut up yellow wool into even lengths, glue along middle to hand down evenly, eyes, feet, tail, tongue - job's a good'un!

snigger Thu 04-Feb-10 12:22:12

Don't bring them back - my early teens were blighted by the humiliation of Mum's fairy-bottle bird feeders, the low point being when she attached one to a cuphook outside my bedroom window so I could watch the Fairy logo spinning slowly, upside down, and smell her lard-and-seed concoctions even long after they'd gone.

As far as arts and crafts go, I'm sure there was a kaleidoscope once, but only because we didn't have the kitchen roll innard as required by Blue Peter.

We did once moot a Fairy bottle as a suitably space age coffin for a hamster but this was overturned, even in the '70s, as being inorganic and wrong.

MaryBS Thu 04-Feb-10 12:23:50

I have been advised that the old Fairy bottles make very good dog collars for Vicars!

YouLukaAmazing Thu 04-Feb-10 12:27:50

Message withdrawn

MaryBS Thu 04-Feb-10 12:30:04

No its true, not an urban myth, trust me I know a vicar!

YouLukaAmazing Thu 04-Feb-10 12:31:44

Message withdrawn

VinegarTits Thu 04-Feb-10 12:41:48

I hate fairy liquid, it leaves a residue on my dishes that stinks once it is dry

There are much better quality washing up liquids on the market that are much much cheaper, they can stick their years supply, thanks

RustyBear Thu 04-Feb-10 12:42:14

At the junior school I work at, the Year 3 children make pneumatic animals like this with a balloon inside an egg box, and a squeezy bottle at the end of a tube. You squeeze the bottle to inflate the balloon which pushes the egg-box 'mouth' open.

Sadly the new Fairy bottles are not as good as the old ones because they are less flexible and much more difficult for a small hand to squeeze - so if they do bring back the old ones, the Year 3 teachers may be bulk-buying!

MaryBS Thu 04-Feb-10 12:44:24

Thats a bishop in my pic, YouLukaAmazing, I've no idea where they get their dog collars from

YouLukaAmazing Thu 04-Feb-10 12:54:00

Message withdrawn

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 04-Feb-10 12:56:08

At University I was in my friend's final television course piece. She did a spoof of Blue Peter and I played the female presenter. I had to "make" a tea caddy out of a fairy liquid bottle, except of course the shots were cut so that when I said "and here's one I made earlier!" it was a real Jacksons of Piccadilly tea caddy, not the hacked-about fairy bottle. Gosh how we laughed grin. We also had a real snake ("a special guest from Chessington Zoo") whose handler was played by a now v famous actor. I've got it on cd somewhere ...

aristocat Thu 04-Feb-10 13:03:02

very boring here........only made rockets and castle turrets
but was great fun smile

bring the white bottle back for good grin

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 04-Feb-10 13:05:31

Oh yes I remember the Dougal from Magic Roundabout grin.

Ohforfoxsake Thu 04-Feb-10 13:20:57

Bangles, cut a bit off, wrap in wool, accessorise any number of outfits. I'd still be doing it today if they hadn't changed the bottles.

Infact, I think they should bring back the old bottles. There's a generation missing out. Such fun we had hmm

pollywollydoodle Thu 04-Feb-10 13:23:55

ooh, i remember making a volcano with a black paper skirt round the body of the fary bottle sprinkled with red glitter ...leaving a little gap at the back to slide your hand in and squeeze bottle which was filled with water coloured with red food dye...iwas only allowed to play with it outside though[boo]

EasyEggs Thu 04-Feb-10 13:24:48

We used to wait until we had lots saved up, decorate them, paint numbers on them and used them as skittles, obviously when we were bored with that they then became space rockets grin

mustrunmore Thu 04-Feb-10 13:34:25

OMG I'm so excited about seeing the 'proper' bottles again!

I remember spending almost the whole of one SAturday making a pencil pot from them. But it wasnt an ordinary one-bottle affair, it was multiple bottles, all cut to different heights, mimicking those plastic pots that were all the rage in the 80's. I even cut a bottle in half the other way, making a low trough for paperclips etc along the front . And then - and this was the master stroke - I covered each part in a page from Smash Hits before supergluing/stapling all the parts together. Genuis grin I cant believe I didnt take a photo.

<whispers> I also used to save the tops, to string up and make necklaces blush>

travellingwilbury Thu 04-Feb-10 13:37:11

We used to get an old "fairy" bottle and put coloured tape around it and half fill it with dried beans and then tie it on to the end of a broom stick . It was then a marvellous majorette type chucky in the air thing . Not a baton they were too small , the big one that the person at the front of the scots bands would carry .

Anybody have any idea what I am waffling about ? grin

It was fab fun anyway .

JulesJules Thu 04-Feb-10 13:38:53

Our vicar definitely used them for dog collars.

I used to make pen pots.
I'm sure mine weren't this elaborate

The only other things I can remember making are shakers - fill with rice or dried beans.

Apart from that we used to use them as squirters but they didn't need any thing doing to them for that.

GentleOtter Thu 04-Feb-10 13:42:24

I made a Heath Robinson hydroponic watering system with old Fairy bottles and cotton pyjama cords (as wicks).

The cucumbers were massive.

Comewhinewithme Thu 04-Feb-10 13:50:41

Pen holders cut them in half smother in pritt stick add glitter and various bits of wool and glitter.
Give to various relatives my Godmother still has the one I made for her years ago she has taken it all the way to NZ with her where she now lives grin.

As an aside my Grandma used to have a bath with fairy washing up liquid every Friday night shock.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 04-Feb-10 13:51:01

I made a beautiful hairspray can holder for my Mum's dressing table.

Basically cut the pointy top off the Fairy bottle and decorated the pot bit with assorted crap wallpaper, decorative trim, ribbon etc to match the decor of her bedroom and ...voila... she no longer had to look at the ugly can of Elnett.

It might even have been a Blue Peter idea for Mothers Day

YouLukaAmazing Thu 04-Feb-10 13:54:36

Message withdrawn

Lubyloo Thu 04-Feb-10 13:56:30

We used to fill them with pebbles, dried beans, rice etc to make shakers. That is until the day that I managed to open the bottle, stick a stone up my nose and we then had to spend three hours in A&E waiting to have said stone extracted! We were no longer allowed to make them after that!

Blu Thu 04-Feb-10 13:58:58

We graduated from making Fairy Bottle Snowmen to an entire Nativity scene for Christmas decs.

I'm glad they are coming back for a bit, my Canadian friends always took loads back as fans of classic graphic design. The new version has no class.

We used to fight over who got the bottles. When one was finished we always made a rocket and would stick wings to the side and orange and yellow tissue to the bottom (normally coloured in toliet roll, not proper tissue paper) and then try and paint, stick or draw on it. We were then meant to wait for next bottle for next child to race our rockets but we couldnt, so never seemed to get more than one at time to play with.

solo Thu 04-Feb-10 14:24:13

Cyb, I wonder if that's for real! might give that a go grin

MaryBS, Bishops must use bleach bottles for theirs as they must be whiter than white! grin

GentleOtter Thu 04-Feb-10 14:29:06

The tops can be used on bamboo canes to prevent taking your eye out.

harimosmummy Thu 04-Feb-10 14:41:44

Oh, I am SOOO looking forward to seeing those white bottles again!

I had totally forgotten about them!!

Mostly, ours got used to make pencil pots as gifts (yes, yes, we were cheap!) but I did make a fairy castle one time, with loads of the half bottles (the bottom end made the castle walls and the tops made the turrets.... God I loved that toy!

Happy memories, whether or not I get a year's supply of fairy! I use a dishwasher most of the time now so would probably be a really cheap winner!! grin (unless Fairy dishawasher tablets are included?? [hopefully emoticon]!)

GrimmaTheNome Thu 04-Feb-10 15:51:16

I'm slightly shocked that Fairy is only a year older than me - I thought it had been around forever.

My favourite things were:

'candles' at xmas - cover in pretty paper and glue a 'flame' on the top.

Supersoakers! can't beat a good fairy bottle in a water fight.

wigglybeezer Thu 04-Feb-10 16:03:58

My sister and I made Dougals (from the Magic Roundabout), unfortunately my Mum only had enough orange wool to make one authentic Dougal, the other would have to be brown. The ensuing squabbling over who used the orange wool resulted in one of us getting copydex on our school pinafore and my poor mother blowing her top (a rare and therefore memorable event).

Ps. I don't have a dishwasher!

onlyjoinedforoffers Thu 04-Feb-10 16:04:41

Is/was Fairy Liquid tested on animals?

nickelbabe Thu 04-Feb-10 16:30:45

it's part of Proctor and Gamble, so the company tests on animals.
i'm just having a bit of a search to see if Fairy itself is (because P&G is pharmaceutical, so that part of it has to be)

nickelbabe Thu 04-Feb-10 16:36:15

from [[http://www.saveourearth.co.uk/blog/2009/09/testing-on-animals/ ]]
"Any products made by Proctor and Gamble - With an addon in the Firefox browser called Knowmore, visiting P&G’s web site, it states that this company has human rights issues, political Influence and Environmental concerns. P&G continues to routinely poison and kill thousands of animals each year and refuses to stop testing its products on animals despite the fact that these tests are not required by any law, despite the fact that these tests for certain ingredients were already done and despite the fact that more reliable and humane alternatives exist and are already being used by hundreds of ethical companies. (Info from Animal Friend Croatia)."

some info on www.uncaged.co.uk/pg.htm too
and www.boycottpandg.co.uk/faq.asp

fruitshootsandheaves Thu 04-Feb-10 17:38:03

Those old bottles were much better and they made fantastic water squirters. they held loads of water and could squirt such a long way.

Can't remember any particular creations but I do remember some fantastic water fights with them.

I vaguely remember making something that was meant to be one of the creatures from Button Moon one of these fellas

But it was no doubt shit and I expect it was very sensibly binned by my mother before I lost an eye or impaled myself on a wooden spoon appendage.

I'm not going to win am I sad

fruitshootsandheaves Thu 04-Feb-10 17:58:51

I probably made a dog from one

I was desperate for a dog and made them from everything. Fairy bottles, boxes, loo rolls, Lego, plasticine, road kill.

I mainly used to make rockets, and on one memorable occasion a skirt for my barbie. She did not look good.

However this is a good opportunity to share one of my favourite ever jokes.

A man went into a fish restaurant and ordered some squid.
The waiter took him to the tank and asked him to point out the squid he wanted.
'That little green one with whiskers' he said.
So the waiter took the squid into the kitchen for jervais, the chef, to prepare.
Jervais looked at the little green squid on his board and the squid looked back at him fearfully, it's whiskery lip wobbling.
'It's not good, I can't do it! Hans! You must help me'
Hans (who was the potwasher) came over and raised the cleaver. Again, he looked at teh squid, and the squid looked up at him sadly.
'I can't do it either!' he cried.
They called the waiter in and told him to ask the customer to choose agin.
The waiter went back to the table and said
'I'm afraid you cannot have that little squid'
'Why ever not?' asked the customer

'Well Sir, because Hans that do dishes is as soft as Jervais, with mild green hairy lip squid.'

You need to be of a certain age and know the Fairy Liquid song to get that one!

MollyRoger Thu 04-Feb-10 18:16:23

I remember getting very frustrated trying to paint the outside of the bottles. I decided to cut the top off and use the base as a vase for mother's day. in 1978, acrylic paints were an unheard of luxury, even at school. I had chalky circles of watercolour which, no matter how much water tyou added to them, were never more than a pastely-hued watery suggestion of colour - absolutely useless on the outside of plastic bottles.
So my mother got basicaly a cut up plastic squirty bottle with some very limp daffs in. The badly cut edge serated the daffodil stems, so the flowers fell off...

Flightattendant Thu 04-Feb-10 18:19:47

Sindy hairdressing chairs as far as I can remember...and other Sindy items of furniture. At least, this is what I aspired to make but my mother was slow at using up the fairy liquid, so it never happened...

Blue peter was the source of this stuff, as any fule kno.

Flightattendant Thu 04-Feb-10 18:25:15

Essence of Jack, that is one of the funniest jokes I have EVER heard grin

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 04-Feb-10 19:19:54

Rofl at the squid joke!!!

morningpaper Thu 04-Feb-10 19:32:55

We still have some fairy-liquid shakers that we used at church for the children

God knows what the rattly bits are... probably small chips of asbestos

pofarced Thu 04-Feb-10 19:45:03

have you not made any rockets, mp? <norty>

I used a Fairy bottle to make the shell of a scale model of a shell and tube heat exchanger.

It had 64 straws arranged in the correct tube arrangement with cardboard tube plates.

The whole thing was painted silver.

RustyBear Thu 04-Feb-10 19:57:19

grin @ pofaced.

Of course, a fairy-bottle-rocket would already have a baby on it.....

pofarced Thu 04-Feb-10 19:58:48

shock

grin

CurtainTwitcher Thu 04-Feb-10 20:30:36

I used to make pen pots, jewellery tubs, money box. However the most fun I ever had was to use them as water guns in the garden with my sisters. We would each decorate one[so could often be found putting wayyy too much fairy in the washing up] and after they were painted with our names on etc then we would use them as water guns for THE best water fights!!

NotAnOtter Thu 04-Feb-10 20:58:11

now this is my DREAM prize < nips off to think up prizewinner>

4andnotout Fri 05-Feb-10 04:34:03

As a fairly unartistic sort my fairy bottles were limited to water fights, the occasional shuttle (dad's idea of bonding) or a crepe paper skirt, bit of wool and some newspaper and we had a unhuggable doll.

Belo Fri 05-Feb-10 08:21:13

Please bring back the old style bottles.

My parents used to cut the top off them, cut away the middle section and the put the top back onto the bottom section, but upside down. They would then use these to put my paints in. If I knocked them over, the paint didn't spill everywhere. Now you can buy similar pots from ELC, but I like the thrift idea of making them myself from washing up liquid bottles.

onlyjoinedforoffers Fri 05-Feb-10 10:23:55

Thanks for that nicklebabe they can shove their years supply

lfcvicki Fri 05-Feb-10 11:43:53

Yeah I remember my Mum saving these for months so I could make a huge fairytale castle out of them, egg-boxes (proper cardboard ones you could paint not plasticy stuff used now!) and cereal packets!

Ohhh, oooh - I've got one no-one else has got. [inappropriately over enthused emoticon] My mum used fairy liquid bottles to make money boxes for my sister and I. Cover with sticky-back plastic, cut a slit in the side (approx 1" by 0.5") and hey presto - money box!

She also made us the cardboard and sticky backed plastic dressing table tidies - thanks Blue Peter!

bran Fri 05-Feb-10 14:47:03

Can I ask a mercenary question about the photos? Are Fairy going to retain the rights to the photos and possibly use them for marketing purposes outside of the microsite? If so it's a bit cheapskate on their part, they get lovely retro photos and the people who submit them might (and only might) get about a tenner's worth of washing up liquid?

Those types of photos could make lovely nostalgic tv and print ads.

MaryBS Fri 05-Feb-10 14:48:11

I seem to recall making a windmill with a fairy bottle...

Oh and I see this thread has made the MN roundup

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 05-Feb-10 15:31:39

Hello.

Thought you'd like to know that Fairy have come back to us with an answer to bran's question.

And here it is: "Please can you reassure the everyone that we don't plan on using the pictures for anything other than on the MN site."

Housemum Fri 05-Feb-10 16:13:16

I remember the old bottles fondly - following Blue Peter instructions to make a Blakes 7 communicator thingy (cut off top and bottom to leave a bangle shape then decorate with silver foil and buttons). Was nearest I could get to watching it as in the days pre-video recorders Blakes 7 clashed with Crossroads, and nothing came between my mother and Crossroads.

Using the top of the bottles, you could make a plug and socket for your Sindy lampstand made by Blue Peter instructions (those Action Man/Sindy rooms they made promised so much but delivered so little when you tried to copy it yourself)

I also made many pen tidies and money boxes (paper ears, cover bottle in pink paper and use the individual egg box bottom bits for piggy feet - a very deformed piggy bank but a pig nonetheless)

Wish I had pictures of this stuff now - but with the price of flash cubes and developing pictures were a rare event! Our kids don't know they're born...

And by the way, surely a year's supply can't be much when Fairy cleans all theeeeeese dishes, as Nanette Newman used to point out... (I really am old)

Am I allowed to say on this thread that a certain supermarket, beginning with T and ending in ESCO produces a value washingup liquid in a very similarly shaped bottle to the Fairy one?

Housemum Fri 05-Feb-10 18:29:55

Here's a desk tidy I attempted to make from a book called "What Can I Do Today? Over 100 projects for girls age 6-12" (obviously omitted to say girls age 6-12 with an art degree)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickandjulie/4332121809/

Housemum Fri 05-Feb-10 18:30:32

trying again... desk tidy instructions

Dozymare Sat 06-Feb-10 19:42:29

WE used to chop the top off and grow things in them - lots of herbs and my poor our DH got so excited once as he planted an apple seed - it sprouted but nothing ever happened....

Of course, we all know that the BEST thing they were used for is rockets!!

Dozymare Sat 06-Feb-10 19:56:31

Just remembered,walkie talkies were also FAB!

Simply cut the top of 2 bottles, poke a hole in the bottom and add string to each bottle. You need to make this at least 20m - we spent many a long summer playing Starsky and Hutch and wonderwoman vs the hulk.....

NotAnOtter Sat 06-Feb-10 20:51:42

various fairy bottles saved and washed out - glue together with pva and tadaaaa

Spacehoppa Sun 07-Feb-10 15:01:41

I used to love the old bottles. The new ones just look like all the other brands. They used to match my curtains quite beautifully. (Sighs wistfully, thinks about hand cream as I have already done the washing up.)

Rhuidean Sun 07-Feb-10 15:26:09

I wasnt allowed the fairy bottle as they were all cut up to make lables for seeds. I remember feeling quite hard done by!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 07-Feb-10 20:52:40

notanotter - that's amazing, looks just like something you'd buy in a shop grin

you guys are/ were so creative - thanks so much and do keep them coming! smile

NotAnOtter Sun 07-Feb-10 22:52:19

thanykyou Ann

dd helped me with it - she is great at product design !

' now hands that do dishes can be soft as your face ....la la la lalala laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa'

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Feb-10 09:42:10

bump - any more?

littlesleepyhead Mon 08-Feb-10 09:48:18

i used to collect up all the empty ones from mum and grans houses and make little skittles, put some rice in the bottom to steady them a bit and decorate them it was a good game till we broke something. they also doubled up as shakers we got the pans out and had a band and really annoyed mum. good times...

NotAnOtter Mon 08-Feb-10 20:20:28

they were wonderful for use in makeshift hamster cages - a couple of cardboard boxes could be connected via a series of strategically placed fairy liquid bottles confused

very handy for keeping mr squiggles happy and occupied whilst cleaning out his cage

NotAnOtter Mon 08-Feb-10 20:20:46

they were wonderful for use in makeshift hamster cages - a couple of cardboard boxes could be connected via a series of strategically placed fairy liquid bottles confused

very handy for keeping mr squiggles happy and occupied whilst cleaning out his cage

NotAnOtter Mon 08-Feb-10 20:22:30

a game of Wizard of Oz ( or insert film /tv series of choice) without some sleevelets - created from painted ( or covered with paper) old fairy liquid bottles with the tops and bottoms chopped off..

the ti man was never the same again

NotAnOtter Mon 08-Feb-10 20:22:43

tin

nighbynight Mon 08-Feb-10 20:48:27

A dolls house armchair - you cut it out, and fill the bottom part with soft stuff, and cover it with velvet. (from a reades digest book)

fanjolina Mon 08-Feb-10 20:52:15

I made a hamster run from one

jaquelinehyde Mon 08-Feb-10 23:15:13

I remember making a boat for my brothers action man out of a couple of bottles and some used lolly sticks!

Would love this prize as boring as it sounds we get through so much of the bloody stuff.

Also can't wait for the summer now, I shall collected my bottles up and will enjoy masses of water fights with the 3 dcs.

NotAnOtter Mon 08-Feb-10 23:21:03

cut two fairy bottles in half

string

tie together

drape string between bedrooms

use as 'telephone' ??? well we did !! grin

not certain it worked but we hollered down it! Luckily our bedrooms adjoined!

it was in the chivers jelly activities book!

TwoIfBySea Tue 09-Feb-10 00:06:11

I would sometimes get to do this:

Cut off the flat end of the fairy bottle.

make two holes in the sides and attach string.

loop the string over a broom handle or similar stick type thingy. balance this over a sheet of paper on the ground. (chair backs etc. I wasn't overly technical.)

making sure the lid was firmly shut, fill the bottle with sand.

while swinging the bottle flip open the little red lid and let the sand make pictures on the paper.

Okay, so I was easily pleased but it was good fun until the day I forgot the sheet of paper.

emmaand3 Thu 11-Feb-10 14:04:25

Wow this brings back memories. My brother and me used to make telephones. We would each have an end of bottle, thread string through ( a couple of metres!) and talk to each other from our dens. Dens were the clothes horse with sheets thrown over. We used to do this everyday during school holidays at our nans because mum worked.

Also used to make pen pots. Decorate paper with stickers and things cut out of magazines then stick around the washing up tube. In fact i remember making them for everyone one christmas - think that was a blue peter idea!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 11-Feb-10 14:20:35

Any more before we decide which lucky washeruppers get a years supply of fairy liquid?!

aristocat Mon 15-Feb-10 16:14:36

come on who gets the prizes wink

is it me??? grin

Housemum Tue 16-Feb-10 12:54:53

Twoifbysea - I remember seeing that on Take Hart! V jealous you actually got to do it...

i know wink

how much is a years worth anyway? those bottles went on forever...

Flightattendant Tue 23-Feb-10 16:25:34

Can't believe I managed to win one of these, there were such good stories compared to mine smile

But am absolutely made up. What a great prize! So, erm, practical. grin

especially if you have a dishwasher grin

NorbertDentressangle Tue 23-Feb-10 16:34:20

Flight -I've won too and also thought mine was quite dull in comparison to those making things like high-tech plant watering systems!

Maybe its the Blue Peter connection that swung it grin

GrimmaTheNome Tue 23-Feb-10 16:34:40

Have we all won?

I've got a dishwasher and still have some fairy in the garage from when it was on DHs list and as it was on offer he bought half a dozen.

Wonder if they'd substitute fairy dishwasher tabs? grin

4andnotout Tue 23-Feb-10 16:36:58

WAHOO!! I won and mine was a right crap recollection, perhaps it was my parents lack of artistic flair that got me the sympathy vote!

Flightattendant Tue 23-Feb-10 16:39:27

Thankfully no dishwasher! Maybe it was the BP thing. Did we all mention it?

i didnt mention BP and still one
I was going to ask about making them dishwasher tablets too, but thought that was a little cheeky blush

fruitshootsandheaves Tue 23-Feb-10 16:48:36

I won too. Will we get one 4 foot bottle?

NorbertDentressangle Tue 23-Feb-10 16:50:28

Dishwasher tablets would be cool but seeing as it was about Fairy re-launching the old style bottle its probably unlikely.

Blu Tue 23-Feb-10 16:54:10

ooh, I am so excited! Has anyone thought about their acceptance speech yet? Will the bottles be the old sort? Will we be able to make new millenium Dougals and pen holders? DS will experience a 1970s childhood!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 23-Feb-10 16:57:15

You know what's going to happen? Years free supply of Fairy, but we then end up having to buy lots of sticky backed plastic and double sided tape.

fruitshootsandheaves Tue 23-Feb-10 16:59:55

We will all have very soft hands.

jaquelinehyde Tue 23-Feb-10 17:01:55

I won too grin

It's my first ever win and I'm stupidly excited about it!

cyb Tue 23-Feb-10 17:07:46

I've won too!! Perhaps its some manky fragrance like tuna fish that they can't shift in the shops......

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 23-Feb-10 17:18:40

Glad you are all happy - Fairy liked all the comments and had a big box of Fairy to give away so there are quite a few winners....

Do look out for the microsite coming soon with a crafty competition! (grimmathenome....!grin)

pixierara Tue 23-Feb-10 17:26:03

and me!!!!!! Dh thinks it is hysterical....I am soooo not a washer-uper!!!

Hulababy Tue 23-Feb-10 17:29:42

I won too DD is bemused, lol!

So, how many bottles is a year's supply? We have a dishwasher, but do wash up occasionally.

mustrunmore Tue 23-Feb-10 17:43:50

OMG and me gringrin

shonaspurtle Tue 23-Feb-10 17:45:47

Me too!!!! Do we know what a year's supply is? Are they going to say "well, Fairy is very long lasting you know" and send us two bottles grin

I don't have a dishwasher so I'm very pleased!

mollyroger Tue 23-Feb-10 17:47:05

lol and me! and I didn't even realise I had entered - I think I just saw nostalgic thread on fairy liquid bottles....

mollyroger Tue 23-Feb-10 17:48:23

but it is lovely to win something. I shall give some to my mum to make up for the crap mother's day gift I forced upon her all those years ago grin

CurtainTwitcher Tue 23-Feb-10 17:48:28

Brill
I love fairy liquid and use it over other brands anyways so thank yougrin

MaryBS Tue 23-Feb-10 17:52:34

LOL Shona, thats what I thought too. Another winner here!

Flightattendant Tue 23-Feb-10 17:55:51

Am getting a little anxious now about some HUGEEEE pallet of fairy turning up on the drive. hmm

does anyone remember that children's story about the girl who won a bathroom, and they just put it in her back garden...the whole thing, all assembled.

I think her competition entry was:

'Rose or white or Heliotrope

Where there's life, there's Sugden's soap'

grin

Flightattendant Tue 23-Feb-10 17:57:53

actually I did a really good 'apt and original phrase' for a bubblegum comp once. I was about 7.

'Bubblicious makes holidays fun because...

it's the best bubblegum under the sun'

Some git nicked it for an advert a few years later. I had a little tune for it and everything sad

mustrunmore Tue 23-Feb-10 18:08:35

Actually, I've just thought... will it be a years supply in the old style bottles? They'd look sooo much nicer in my kitchen than the new ones smile

mollyroger Tue 23-Feb-10 18:17:00

I will have to build myself a kitchen extension from empty bottles (and sticky back plastic) in order to accomodate a year's supply shock

shonaspurtle Tue 23-Feb-10 18:22:28

I remember that story Flight! Where was it from? Was it one of those Stories for 6 year olds books (there was a series of them)?

Flightattendant Tue 23-Feb-10 18:26:37

YES! Shona you have made my day! smile

I'm sure it was a collection of rather obscure, slightly dreary Noel Streatfield ones, maybe stories for easter or Christmas or soemthing?

Flightattendant Tue 23-Feb-10 18:27:07

or Sara and Stephen Corrin grin

shonaspurtle Tue 23-Feb-10 18:43:48

My mum & dad still have all ours so I'll have a look next time I'm through.

There were some odd ones. I remember one about a boy called Particle who turned green confused and the modern ones were interspersed with excerpts from Call of the Wild and the odd fairy story.

Flightattendant Tue 23-Feb-10 18:47:11

Oh that would be great. smile we might have ours too...will check now and see what I can find.

shonaspurtle Tue 23-Feb-10 19:00:33

Or could it be from a Bagthorpes Saga book? The Particle story (I've discovered) is by Helen Cresswell who wrote them and I remember one was all about them entering competitions.

Flightattendant Tue 23-Feb-10 19:04:08

Oh Helen Cresswell rings a bell. It must have been an anthology mustn't it? Can only find stories for ten yos and under fives!

I bet it was from Bagthorpes and collected into one of those types.

Well done! I know I didn't read Bagthorpes by itself iyswim.

mollyroger Tue 23-Feb-10 19:17:27

oh the Bagthorpe Saga was ace, but I don't think she won a bathroom in that one (just re-read Absolute Zero blush)

Flightattendant Tue 23-Feb-10 19:19:45

LOL Molly grin

I can never seem to move on to adult fiction.

mollyroger Tue 23-Feb-10 19:21:36

My home has all our childhood books, so when I go back to see her, I inevitably gorge myself on all my childhood favourties. Worzel Gummidge anyone?

mollyroger Tue 23-Feb-10 19:22:03

mum not home

compo Tue 23-Feb-10 19:22:08

congrats! i reckon one bottle for every month, so 12 bottles maybe grin

mollyroger Tue 23-Feb-10 19:23:33

now, can we have a comp to win a year's supply of wine? Just for sharing our happy memories......grin

morningpaper Tue 23-Feb-10 19:23:58

Even I have won and I'm sure that I'm not even allowed to enter competitions because I'm Justine's personal bitch

so don't tell anyone

am VV VV excited about my bottles

Flightattendant Tue 23-Feb-10 19:28:20

See now I know 786 people have won, I do not feel quite so special sad

SuSylvester Tue 23-Feb-10 20:33:32

do they pipe it into our house

mollyroger Tue 23-Feb-10 20:36:55

oh crivens not another winner.....

Mumsnet, I DEMAND exclusivity!!

EasyEggs Tue 23-Feb-10 20:42:21

Another one over here, sorry Flight blush grin

Comewhinewithme Tue 23-Feb-10 20:58:25

I won thankyou MN.

RustyBear Tue 23-Feb-10 21:13:46

And another...
Thank you!

I won too. I was quite excited until I realised everyone on the thread had won hmm

I've just told the dishwasher. He's really pleased! grin

MaryBS Wed 24-Feb-10 06:49:30

Ah, but think of all those disappointed people on MN who are thinking to themselves "Oh, if only I'd posted on the Fairy thread, I'd be getting a year's supply of Fairy too!"

Maybelline Wed 24-Feb-10 07:06:19

This spells death for dishwashers, doesn't it.

Fairy have got it all worked out grin

Blu Wed 24-Feb-10 12:42:17

Did VinegarTits win too?
She slagged Fairy off!

Blu Wed 24-Feb-10 12:44:02

Actually, Maybeline, unless Curry's finally pull their finger out, my dishwasher will spell the death of me, so bad have Curry's and Kenowwd combine been in sorting out my dead dishwasher! The Fairy Fairy couldn't have come at a better time!

"This spells death for dishwashers, doesn't it." I do hope not Maybelline! I am rather fond of DH... grin

Yzzil Thu 25-Feb-10 19:14:36

I told my mum I wanted to go to the fancy dress competition as a fairy. So she made a big cardboard tube down to my knees, a red woolly bobble hat and made me into a fairy liquid bottle.

I was devastated, especially as I couldn't sit down when instructed! She was devastated because she I didn't win grin

Yzzil Thu 25-Feb-10 19:16:04

Sorry, just read that and it seems quite random...didn't follow the full thread blush

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Mar-10 11:04:45

Just so as you know - prizes are being dispatched today grin

Oh god, does that mean I have to stop MNing and get dressed to answer the door? shockgrin

JackBauer Wed 03-Mar-10 13:21:56

Anyone had theirs yet?
Is it just one mega bottle?

Nothing arrived yet. Have cleared out one shelf the loft and the shed in preparation.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 05-Mar-10 08:13:55

Have they arried yet?!

EasyEggs Fri 05-Mar-10 11:06:04

Still no Fairy here either.......

Housemum Fri 05-Mar-10 21:48:34

Am rinsing out and squeezing the last dregs in the hope the new stuff arrives as I am a Timothy Tightarse who won't spend a quid when there's some free washing up liquid en route!

JackBauer Sat 06-Mar-10 19:08:30

I'm with you housemum, I can probably make it through tomorrow but i am making roast chicken so that will finish off my reserves of liquid.....

aristocat Sun 07-Mar-10 11:17:38

hellooooooooo

i have won this too but not received anything yet sad

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 10-Mar-10 14:13:43

Hello. Sorry to hear you haven't got your Fairy Liquid yet. We're trying to find out what's occurring...

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 10-Mar-10 15:19:02

Hello again. Right, we have called Fairy and they assure us that you should all be receiving your Fairy products tomorrow.

They are sorry for the delay and say it was due to 'a delay in shipment which was beyond our control.'

Hulababy Wed 10-Mar-10 15:22:23

Thanks for update. Been hoping it would be soon as, with a broken dishwasher, we are running low on washing up liquid.

I did recieve my Omega 3 bottles today though.

Pumphreydidit Wed 10-Mar-10 15:28:18

Ooh, that is quite spooky as my dishwasher has broken down today just hours before the Fairy liquid arrives....shock

NorbertDentressangle Wed 10-Mar-10 15:57:44

Hang on a minute....this isn't part of an evil plan hatched by Fairy to gradually sabotage peoples dishwashers just as they receive free samples of washing-up liquid laced with brain-washing chemicals is it.

oooh, I feel all strange......I can hear voices......."I must wash up by hand......I must wash up by hand.....I must wash up by hand........"

Pumphreydidit Wed 10-Mar-10 16:03:14

Yes Norbert, I think you may have something there. <lashes self to sink and does zombie plan>

Hulababy Wed 10-Mar-10 16:26:02

Pumphreydidit - mine broke down 3 days later

aristocat Wed 10-Mar-10 18:16:21

hooray

i have been waiting expectantly for the fairy.................

do you realise it will be just in time for mothers day grin

Hulababy Thu 11-Mar-10 14:37:42

Mine has arrived 6 bottle of 50th anniversary Fairy. Thanks so much

aristocat Thu 11-Mar-10 18:29:26

envy
none here

littlesleepyhead Thu 11-Mar-10 18:47:06

me either

pixierara Fri 12-Mar-10 08:51:29

Thank you very much MN and fairy - my 6 bottles arrived this morning - very nostalgic, bit like when wispa returned but not quite as scrumptiously tasting!

aristocat Tue 16-Mar-10 18:01:44

thank you MN and Fairy

mine arrived today

smile smile

mustrunmore Fri 02-Apr-10 18:53:53

Ok, this was one cunning bit of marketing. I cant believe it has worked on me!
I got my 6 bottles, duly happy but commented on here that I was a bit hmm about it lasting a year. Lo and behold, a cheque for £10 arrived in the post from the Fairy people; no letter. I felt a bit ashamed, as I assume it was a result of my comment blush
But, full marks to them, as this really did impress me; they could've just ignored my remarks. Couple this with the fact that when I used the Fairy, I remembered just how good it is! It really does make your dishes shine, just like the adverts said when I was little! And it really is better quality than tescos own!

So, well done Fairy people, you've converted me grin

TonyIommi Mon 10-Jan-11 18:28:52

I used melted down Fairy bottles to make finger prosthetics so that I could play the guitar again. That was more than 40 years ago. I went on to have some success with a pop group called Black Sabbath -- perhaps you might've heard of us?

ouryve Tue 11-Jan-11 13:19:56

I did do lots of crafty stuff with old packaging as a kid - made almost an entire hosue for my Sindy, but can't remember anything I made with washing up liquid bottles.

As others have said, they did make great bubble blowers with a bit of water added when almost empty, though and fab water squirters on a hot summer's day!

ouryve Tue 11-Jan-11 13:20:56

And oops - didn't notice that this was on old thread, revived!

Figgyrolls Thu 24-Mar-11 17:46:22

I am one of those children who always wanted to make something a la blue peter, my mother always had fairy - brilliant I thought except it was never ever empty - I later discovered that my mother kept accidentally throwing the bottle out forgetting I was desperate for it!

Oh well, I keep doing the same to dd - although we would now really like to make a penguin, please pretty please, could you just send me the empty bottle? grin

Figgyrolls Thu 24-Mar-11 17:46:49

Damnit - I really should look at the date!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now