This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

Which kind of sharent are you? Take the NEW MN fun quiz – and you could win a £250 JL voucher from Vodafone NOW CLOSED

(521 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Aug-14 14:11:17

To celebrate the launch of the new Vodafone family price plan - Red+ - we have developed a new fun quiz to find out what kind of sharent you are!

What’s a sharent we hear you say…well it’s all about your attitude to sharing photos and updates of your DC online. Are you shary-savvy, a Shary Mary, shary-wary – or totes off the grid?
Take the short quiz now to find out

Vodafone say “For some parents, the internet can seem like a bit of minefield and with new technology emerging all the time, it can be hard to stay up to date. If that sounds like you, worry not. Vodafone has put together some guides and articles to help parents maintain control and keep the family safe – find out more here
Vodafone has also launched a new plan, designed specifically for families. Red+ gives you one data allowance to share and you can even cap your kids’ data so they don't go over their limit. You'll get one simple bill for all devices, saving you money compared to individual plans, and you'll also get unlimited calls and texts”

Find out more at vodafone.co.uk/redplus.

Please take a few minutes to do the quiz and return to this thread to post your sharenting result – let Vodafone know on this thread what it is and what you think and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £250 John Lewis voucher.

The Vodafone Digital Parenting Guide can be found here: www.vodafone.co.uk/family

Thanks and good luck

MNHQ

coppertop Fri 15-Aug-14 16:53:01

"You are share-y wary

You find the whole world of social media a bit anxiety-inducing - and need help knowing where to dive in."

There's no hope for me. I'm more of a 'blackboard in the kitchen' and 'picture on the fridge door' person. I've never even got around to making a MN profile page, despite being here for years. blush

GingerRodgers Fri 15-Aug-14 16:53:41

Apparently I'm 'share-y wary' which is fine by me, I don't want my entire life lived online. I would like to be more aware of internet safety when the dc are older.

Vitalstatistix Fri 15-Aug-14 16:56:37

What is your sharenting style?
You are off the grid

Social sharing? If people want to hear your family's news they can call you. On your land-line.

grin yup. Which is odd, considering how much time I spend online. But I am strict with the kids. Plus I have an utter loathing of selfies (and a special place in hell reserved for those who do the duck face)

ouryve Fri 15-Aug-14 16:57:16

You are share-savvy

Whilst you’re not adverse to a bit of online boasting, you remain a leetle bit sceptical about sharing too much. In fact, you pride yourself on being pretty up-to-the-minute with your online safety knowledge, and you make sure you pass this on to your kids.

Fair enough. Though I'll have it on record that I don't do Facebook grin

And as for the last question, there's a different situation for each family member, depending on ability and needs.

MrsCakesPrecognition Fri 15-Aug-14 17:04:47

I'm share-savvy, I'd hope so too given that I deliver workshops on social media for parents.

plumnc Fri 15-Aug-14 17:05:01

I'm sharysavvy apparently. Not sure about that, there wasn't an option for 'spend days studying the ins and outs of Facebook before having the talk'! Haven't a clue about Facebook, won't register till needs must when teens finally get their own way

o0 Fri 15-Aug-14 17:06:29

You are share-savvy

Whilst you’re not adverse to a bit of online boasting, you remain a leetle bit sceptical about sharing too much. In fact, you pride yourself on being pretty up-to-the-minute with your online safety knowledge, and you make sure you pass this on to your kids.

That does actually sound about right.

Off the Grid - this is not a surprise, tbh. smile

ElPolloDiabolo Fri 15-Aug-14 17:28:30

You are share-y wary

You find the whole world of social media a bit anxiety-inducing - and need help knowing where to dive in.

I'm not sure I find it anxiety-inducing, I'm just quite private. I know how to 'do' social media to a greater extent than I currently do, I just don't desperately want to!

prettybird Fri 15-Aug-14 17:36:12

"You are share-savvy" too smile

It probably understates how much I use Social media to share (as I have relatives all over the world and I know my dad "lurks") and overstates how techsavvy I am but I do try my best.

I not only gave ds the "talk" when he went on to fb (age 12,5 blush) but I've also friended him - and as we have a shred tablet, it is easy for us to see what he is up to.

Now that he is nearly 14 and has a smart phone , we are having to relax the rule about no computer access upstairs.

mrssmith79 Fri 15-Aug-14 17:44:44

Off the grid...and glad!

BikeRunSki Fri 15-Aug-14 17:55:14

I'm share savvy. But my oldest child is only 5! I am not sure if I'll be so savvy as he gets older and more savvy himself.

insanityscratching Fri 15-Aug-14 17:57:17

I'm sharey wary which is no surprise tbh I just don't feel the need to share my life with all and sundry it's more on a strictly need to know basis.

TomatoSorbetWoman Fri 15-Aug-14 18:01:46

share savvy - pity there was not an option for q1 to be " i take a picture and keep it to myself" i fricken LOATHE the culture of self publicity

Holfin Fri 15-Aug-14 18:03:15

Share-y Wary. No surprise really I have no Facebook or Twitter and only really use the Internet for MN and shopping. I think if people want to know about my life they can ask me in person.

You are share-y wary

Fair enough; I don't really do social networking either. If I had to be honest though, it's only because I can't be bothered - I like looking at other people's profiles though blush.

WarmHugs Fri 15-Aug-14 18:18:41

You are share-savvy

I do like a good boast now and then

TheHouseatWhoCorner Fri 15-Aug-14 18:22:23

Off The Grid. I feel strangely disappointed!
I'm wary about the 'evils' of social networking, but pragmatic that it has its uses. Maybe I'm more of a dinosaur than I realised!

Share-savvy.

I hope I try to strike the middle ground tbh. I have had an issue far too close to home to remind me that even people you know may not be all they seem. I try to keep that in mind whilst not letting complete paranoia send me into a tail spin of thinking everyone is a bad guy either.

chewybacca Fri 15-Aug-14 18:28:48

Share-y-wary. Is right. I used to be far more share-y but it got to be a competitive sport.

Bicnod Fri 15-Aug-14 18:34:11

I'm share-savvy apparently. Think that's about right. I do share stuff on fb, but my security settings are tight and my fb friends are actual friends. Don't do instagram and only tweet work stuff generally. Share photos on whatsapp with family group.

Wickeddevil Fri 15-Aug-14 18:35:18

I am also share savvy, but the true answer to q1 is none of these!

I would take a picture but share with close family only.

Roseformeplease Fri 15-Aug-14 18:37:43

"Off the grid" and a very retro picture of a typewriter!

Orangeisthenewbanana Fri 15-Aug-14 18:40:16

"Share-savvy" apparently! Think that's quite accurate. Am happy to post a few things online but only carefully considered ones and before I put any photos/comments up I always think "what if my mum or my boss saw this". I do worry about monitoring DC's activity online as they get older, but do firmly believe that you can participate in all this new-fangled malarkey safely if you're well-educated and sensible about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now